• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    You buy the 300 Blackout upper and take the upper off your AR .223 (pop out the two holding pins) and put the 300 upper on the AR lower. Get your empty .223 magazine and fill it with your 300 blackout subsonic ammo. Slap that magazine into your lower receiver, screw on your 30 cal suppressor and then try to shoot something while dealing with the newly formed erection.
    Guns International

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    There seems to be a big swing in price on those things. For 16" complete upper: AAC & Spikes are $1K, Model 1 and another are around $750.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    300 BLK = 51¢/round
    7.62x39 = 20¢/round

Nuff said... I really don't see the need to re-invent the 7.62 intermediate cartridge. I'm sure someone will say "You should be reloading anyway!", but you can load your own 7.62x39, too. You can load it for subsonic or max accuracy; whatever you want to do. The bonus is that if you don't have the time to reload you can buy plinking ammo for cheap.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    300 BLK = 51¢/round
    7.62x39 = 20¢/round

Nuff said... I really don't see the need to re-invent the 7.62 intermediate cartridge. I'm sure someone will say "You should be reloading anyway!", but you can load your own 7.62x39, too. You can load it for subsonic or max accuracy; whatever you want to do. The bonus is that if you don't have the time to reload you can buy plinking ammo for cheap.

The draw for me was the platform. Never been a fan of the .223 but now I have the platform and the ability to buy/use multiple calibers on one firearm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    7.62x40. $250 for a Wilson combat stainless barrel. If you reload...Cases out of 5.56. Bullets off 308. $23 for 20 rounds from Wilson.

The figures on 40mm are close to 300blk. The terminal isn't bad. Test have shown good expansion with the 40mm.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    You turds. I said I would never do it two months ago. And I just might order this thing tomorrow.

Wisehybred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Temple, Tx
    Lets keep this thread going, good stuff. Bought a SWR Octane 9 HD2 to work with my Sig p226 Black ops 9mm. I really like the idea of using this can on my .300 blackout (when finished and stamped :)). I would like to hear opinions on going to a dedicated 308 can vs the multiple use 9mm can from SWR....................thoughts?

BTW, Osprey .45 approved as of today...two weeks after purchase! Very Very excited! I might just use this can as a three caliber host to go on my Sig Tac Ops 9mm, Sig 1911 tacops and .300 Blackout. More thoughts or more master-batting on my idea? TThe Octane 9 HD2 can be backup?

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Lets keep this thread going, good stuff. Bought a SWR Octane 9 HD2 to work with my Sig p226 Black ops 9mm. I really like the idea of using this can on my .300 blackout (when finished and stamped :)). I would like to hear opinions on going to a dedicated 308 can vs the multiple use 9mm can from SWR....................thoughts?

BTW, Osprey .45 approved as of today...two weeks after purchase! Very Very excited! I might just use this can as a three caliber host to go on my Sig Tac Ops 9mm, Sig 1911 tacops and .300 Blackout. More thoughts or more master-batting on my idea? TThe Octane 9 HD2 can be backup?

Is there a 5/8x24 adapter available for it?

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX

The main issue I see with using the Octane 9HD is that you can only shoot subsonic ammo through it. Now you can rock all the full auto subs through it you want, so that is cool, but I often like to shoot supersonic 300BLK also. From my understanding the Osprey 9mm will handle supersonic 300blk but I would have to verify that with one of the guys at SilencerCo.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The draw for me was the platform. Never been a fan of the .223 but now I have the platform and the ability to buy/use multiple calibers on one firearm.
    You can get lots of things chambered in 7.62x39; various ARs, Mini30, Sig556 Russian, PTR-32, etc...

The pro's of 300 BLK is that there's no loss of capacity and it uses the same magazines as 5.56. With any firearm, your highest cost is going to be on the ammo for it. With 300 BLK that cost is high enough to keep me away. I might re-consider it if Wolf starts selling spam cans of it

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think cost and availability of plinking ammunition is the only advantage that the Russian round has. The x39 magazines that go into the AR based rifles have been troublesome and hard to find from the beginning. Don't think anyone has a real good way to reliably get an 7.62x39 to function in an AR. Balistically the chamberings are very similar. The Blackout has the edge in better available bullet choices, including some specifically designed for maximum expansion at sub-sonic velocities. Also consider the Barnes 110gr. supersonic TAC-TX which I've seen written up as getting .50 caliber expansion and 20 inches of penetration at 300 yards!! Show me a x39 that will come close to that. Tie that to loads designed to get maximum performance out of short barrels and the argument gets stronger for it. I also like the option of supersonic and subsonic rounds being available.

Like The Dan said, you can get a Ruger in 7.62x39, and if that style of a more traditional sporting rifle is your thing, that is a good choice. However I understand that a lot of the issues with other Mini's are also prevalent. While the Sigs are a fine rifle, they suffer from lack of accessories and available aftermarket parts to customize the rile to your specific needs.

Now I have heard that Armscor is developing a new round to put into this mix very similar to the .300 Blackout, but can't find a lot about it right now. It looks like Remington has given up on their .30AR cartridge, which is a shame as they had the muscle to push it up and out into the clear air. The .300 Whisper is dying slowly, as it can be run in a rifle chambered for the .300 Blackout, but not the other way around.

Just wish one cartridge would take off and run away with it, and the .300 Blackout seems to have the edge right now in doing that.

With being able to find .300 Blackout for $11-12 a box for factory loads it has a chance to expand quickly. The absolute ease with which one can get set up in that round, find extremely reliable and common regular non-modified AR magazines to feed it make it a solid choice.

However as we can see, it ain't for everybody.

Wisehybred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Temple, Tx
    The main issue I see with using the Octane 9HD is that you can only shoot subsonic ammo through it. Now you can rock all the full auto subs through it you want, so that is cool, but I often like to shoot supersonic 300BLK also. From my understanding the Osprey 9mm will handle supersonic 300blk but I would have to verify that with one of the guys at SilencerCo.

Thats perfectly fine with me.......I talked to the guys at Silencerco they do not endorse shooting supers on their cans, for that matter nor does SWR. Both companys say a few super rounds will not hurt the can though.

Top Bottom