• ...and so much more!
  • WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Westerns:

Long Riders (THE most underrated western ever IMO)
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    For a Few Dollars More
    Pale Rider
    Unforgiven
    Silverado
    Tombstone

War/Drama:

Apocalypse Now
    Platoon
    Red Dawn (1984)
    The Great Escape
    Kelly's Heroes
    The Patriot
    Full Metal Jacket
    Southern Comfort
    Extreme Prejudice
    No Way Out
    Out of Time
    Firefox
    Hunt for Red October

Horror:

The Shining
    Aliens
    Halloween (original 1978)
    Friday the 13th (original 1980)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Children of the Corn
    Duel

Comedy and variety and just because of being a kid of the '80s:

Breakfast Club
    Sixteen Candles
    Vacation
    Mr. Mom
    Weird Science
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Planes Trains and Automobiles
    Christmas Vacation
    Bull Durham
    Brewster's Millions
    Airplane
    Caddyshack
    Trading Places
    48 Hours
    Days of Thunder

I'm sure there are others, but this is a good start at a list of my favorites.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Yep, and it's a great horror movie where it's real suspense and horror rather than just another fucking slasher. But Aliens is the exciting, quotable action movie that I'll stop and watch any time it's on.
    Put it my list above, as well. Great flick and I never tire of watching it. And some of the most quotable lines are from Hudson, AKA Bill Paxton, Fort Worth's own. RIP

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Put it my list above, as well. Great flick and I never tire of watching it. And some of the most quotable lines are from Hudson, AKA Bill Paxton, Fort Worth's own. RIP
    Fun fact: did you know Aliens' Vasquez was played by Jenette Goldstein, who also played (Teen) John Connor's step mom in Terminator 2 (another Cameron movie)?

Untitled.jpg

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. Superb acting and each character fit like a pocket on a shirt.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Fun fact: did you know Aliens' Vasquez was played by Jenette Goldstein, who also played (Teen) John Connor's step mom in Terminator 2 (another Cameron movie)?

View attachment 428879

Casting that could never happen today - for a descendant of Russian Jews to play Vasquez, they had to use makeup to hide her freckles and darken her complexion, dye her hair black, and then there was the accent...

She also played an doomed Irish mother in "Titanic", also directed by James Cameron. He likes to re-hire actors he's worked with before.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    I forgot about both of these...somewhat similar movies but very intense and good.
    Exactly right! They are very similar in their suspense, i.e., time crunch and suspense for the main characters. And the twist at the end of No Way Out is one of the best I've run across. Really well done. Really good actors in that one too. Besides Costner, Gene Hackman, Fred Thompson, George Dzundza and Will Patton. And Sean Young wasn't hard to look at either.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Casablanca
    Maltese Falcon
    To Have and Have Not (Bogey and Bacall's first movie together, the electricity is amazing. Perhaps at the top of my list.)
    Key Largo (Edward G. Robinson is great)
    The Big Sleep
    Vertigo
    Gods and Generals
    Patton
    A Bridge Too Far
    3:10 to Yuma (both are good, but I like the newer version a little better)
    North by Northwest
    Charade
    To Catch a Thief
    Pink Panther
    A Shot in the Dark
    The first three Bourne movies, and the fifth
    The new Star Trek movies
    Sahara (McConaughey)
    Cinderella Man
    Master and Commander
    Suspicion
    Rope
    Dial M for Murder
    Rear Window

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Kind of surprised no one has mentioned Breakfast At Tiffany’s

Key Largo is a great movie.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The new Star Trek movies

"Into Darkness" annoyed the hell out of me. "Ok, we're gonna redo 'Wrath of Khan' but we're gonna pretend we're doing something different, and we'll handwave why the guy with the Sikh name is British now, and there's no Reliant but there's gonna be a huge-ass starship that'll be important for about 15 minutes...oh, and tribble blood makes you immortal now! But we'll ignore that later."

The other two were better and much more fun. Despite the director's insistence on shoehorning in "music" by the Beastie Boys any time he can.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    "Into Darkness" annoyed the hell out of me. "Ok, we're gonna redo 'Wrath of Khan' but we're gonna pretend we're doing something different, and we'll handwave why the guy with the Sikh name is British now, and there's no Reliant but there's gonna be a huge-ass starship that'll be important for about 15 minutes...oh, and tribble blood makes you immortal now! But we'll ignore that later."

The other two were better and much more fun. Despite the director's insistence on shoehorning in "music" by the Beastie Boys any time he can.

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with the beastie boys. This is a hill I'm more than willing to die on

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Hey now, there's nothing wrong with the beastie boys. This is a hill I'm more than willing to die on

When "License to Ill" came out, I hated every track I heard off of it. All through high school, every time someone played their songs I'd roll my eyes and try to block them out. But you know, over the last few decades, my musical tastes have expanded and I've given a few of their songs another listen. And y'know what?

They still suck.

Sorry. Have fun on your hill. To me they sound like a bunch of drunk Yankee frat boys screaming and screeching over each other. Obviously your opinion varies...but including their music in a Star Trek movie is jarring as hell and pulls me right out of the experience.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    When "License to Ill" came out, I hated every track I heard off of it. All through high school, every time someone played their songs I'd roll my eyes and try to block them out. But you know, over the last few decades, my musical tastes have expanded and I've given a few of their songs another listen. And y'know what?

They still suck.

Sorry. Have fun on your hill. To me they sound like a bunch of drunk Yankee frat boys screaming and screeching over each other. Obviously your opinion varies...but including their music in a Star Trek movie is jarring as hell and pulls me right out of the experience.
    Thats what took you out of the movie? I mean it does happen pretty early on, but most people got taken out by the nuclear bomb-esq lens flares that JJ loves so much

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Thats what took you out of the movie? I mean it does happen pretty early on, but most people got taken out by the nuclear bomb-esq lens flares that JJ loves so much

In the third movie those lens flares were less egregious, and other flaws were easy to gloss over because the climax of the movie was flowing and things were getting exciting...and then fucking "Sabotage" starts playing over the action. Yeah, it took me out of the movie. It also would have if something I actually like had played too - "Crazy Train", or "You Really Got Me"...it was a stupid choice and JJ Abrams has an obsession with the Beastie Boys, so that made it even worse for me.

It was fairly easy to ignore in the first move, after the initial eyeroll. There's a serious illogic to a kid in the 23rd century blasting 20th century frat rock when he steals his stepdad's antique car...would you buy it if some kid in a movie set today boosted a car and blasted 18th century parlor music as he went tearing down the road? But having it as a featured part of the soundtrack and even a plot device during the major action setpiece...yeah. It really detracted from the experience for me.

I suppose we're just lucky Abrams doesn't have that sort of hardon for Barry Manilow or Pat Boone.

Top Bottom