• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool 'Horn Luke

Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2022
    Corsicana, TX
    I haven't perused this thread to see if this is a repeat, but I just watched "Hunt For Red October" again and it's still one of the best. Only improvement would'a been to have Harrison Ford play Jack Ryan.
    It's truly a shame that it had Alwick Balwin, President of Film Actors Guild, in it. I've cut out so many movies, many of which are some if my favorites, due to having libturd douchebags in them. But H4RO is a tough one to cut out of my library for a personal reason. But a HUGE saving grace was getting Sean Connery on short notice to play Marko Ramius. Have you read, or possibly reread, the book since watching the movie? The movie did a pretty good job of sticking to the original storyline.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    A movie I watched recently on Hulu that was pretty entertaining is 'Boss Level'. Time loop movie with Frank Grillo and Mel Gibson.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I like some Shakespeare. Shakespeare in Love is a romantic comedy that tells a fictitious tale of the writing of Romeo and Juliette. I first watched it in 99 in Paris when my buddies and I were on a European vacation. We had just watched a Shakespeare play at the Globe Theatre the week before. I like how it has some characters that were real people and has clever writing in how Shakespeare came up with the play. A plague on both your houses.

The Merchant of Venice is a short, easy read for anyone that wants to start their journey as far as his plays go.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I don't care that just about everyone disagrees with me, the Romeo and Juliet movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes was a fantastic movie.
    I prefer the 1968 version, but then there is some nostalgia to it for me.

Mary Star of the Sea grade school had a field trip to watch it, I was 11 at the time. It was kind of a scandal at the time, it was rated M for mature audiences.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This is the first I have heard of that one.
    I think most people couldn't get over the hurdle of hearing the original language (abbreviated a lot, admittedly) in a modern setting. Still, the movie worked. When Benvolio implores in the very tense situation at the beginning of the first act "Part, fools! Put up your swords; you know not what you do." there's a great shot of, iirc, Tybalt's sword. It's a 1911 pistol with the brand name, Sword, boldly engraved on the slide. There were all sorts of clever visual adaptations that kept the original language working.

Still, it was tough to get people to listen to Shakespearean English when the movie came out in 1996 and it basically flopped. I doubt audiences would be any more open to the experience today.

Top Bottom