• ...and so much more!
  • easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I hear you on air blowing on me when sleeping, but definitely not the overhead ceilng fan. I'm paranoid about a big machine whirling blades over me when sleeping I guess. So we have an upright fan at foot of bed doing its job. Plus I keep a bedroom window cracked about 1/2 inch at night no matter the temp outside, even in the teens. I gotta have fresh air and air moving.
    Don't use lawn mower blades.
    Guns International

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just out of curiosity. Do y'all think that putting those panels on top of a vented "doghouse" that is mounted on a rotating base would work?

You could build to optimal angle and height for however many panels per side, keep battery box out of sun/weather, and have the ability to "follow" the sun for maximum charging.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Just out of curiosity. Do y'all think that putting those panels on top of a vented "doghouse" that is mounted on a rotating base would work?

You could build to optimal angle and height for however many panels per side, keep battery box out of sun/weather, and have the ability to "follow" the sun for maximum charging.
    Rotating base is an interesting idea...if there could also be a tilt to it. Hmmm...
    Or, maybe like a kid's rocking horse, with the nose/tail running E/W, and the panel mounted at 30* to the south. It would follow the sunrise/sunset path as it rocked. Hmmm...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Hey - since it's my thread I can go off topic, lol

I want to add some fixed panels. They'll be low ground mounted (access and wind), and I haven't sized the system yet, or even decided what all I want to do here. But I really need to figure out something first - before moving forward on it - and that is this: Because they'll be at such a low angle... what about hail? On the mountain, my array was at 60* and even the snow would slide off. But here? Isn't 10-15* the optimal? I know y'all with roof mounted systems are constrained by that (to a point), and yeah, I get that (maybe) your Insurance covers hail damage.. but I'd like to avoid having to go that route if possible.

All thoughts would be very welcome on this. If I cant get the hail thing figured out... it'll likely not happen and I'd sure like it to happen. Thanks -

Saw some recently that I thought were pretty cool. They were on top of a shed for animals, with a small slope. I thought that was genius. Roof was high enough to get the critters some shade and wind blowing through. Top had the panels mounted on them. No idea how effective that was, but I thought it was a genius move to have them fairly low to the ground to be able to service them easily, yet on top of a structure with another purpose.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

How big is this doghouse? Keep in mind that I only have 200 watts in combination of those folding panels. I plan on buying more, but as of now it's a very slow charge. My generator can handle 1000 watts, and even then charging it through the grid is faster by about an hour.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    How big is this doghouse? Keep in mind that I only have 200 watts in combination of those folding panels. I plan on buying more, but as of now it's a very slow charge. My generator can handle 1000 watts, and even then charging it through the grid is faster by about an hour.
    Hell, I don't know. However tall, wide, and deep as needed for the purpose. I don't have any specs., to speak of, to go by.

But, were it me, I'd double the size for future addition(s).

'Sides that, we all know that the Designers, Engineers, and the Architects don't have any idea what they're doing.

But, it does look good on paper.

Mostly...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Hell, I don't know. However tall, wide, and deep as needed for the purpose. I don't have any specs., to speak of, to go by.

But, were it me, I'd double the size for future addition(s).

'Sides that, we all know that the Designers, Engineers, and the Architects don't have any idea what they're doing.

But, it does look good on paper.

Mostly...
    I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just didn't want you going in thinking a few panels will power your whole house.

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just didn't want you going in thinking a few panels will power your whole house.
    No, not at all. It's the backup, keep the 'fridge an fan running, oh crap, backup power source.

If I was planning on a whole house type thing, it would be a few acres of panels. With windmills and hydroelectric thrown in.

I'd need to move to a better location for all three of those though.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    No, not at all. It's the backup, keep the 'fridge an fan running, oh crap, backup power source.

If I was planning on a whole house type thing, it would be a few acres of panels. With windmills and hydroelectric thrown in.

I'd need to move to a better location for all three of those though.
    You get all that, I'm headed your way when the SHTF.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
    I come from snow country that averages 40% humidity.
    Our A/C runs 24/7 at 65 or below, 60 at night, year round.
    If I'm hot & sweating, I don't sleep. Been that way my whole life.
    Air blowing on me will hopefully allow some sleep/relief.
    If I don't sleep - hell will arise at TenOaks the likes of which even God has not seen.

We'll also use it for other things, if/when needed, as long as the available charge remains enough for an overnight fan.
    About those A/C temps running 24/7 at 65 or below, is this your first summer in Texas approaching ? Reason I ask is that I've had several techs tell me thru the years that once the outside temp gets to a certain point, ain't no way a normal compressor can get the inside temp down below a certain number, I forget the magic number. It all made sense once they explained why. Oh, the compressor will work it's azz off trying to get lower but will burn up trying plus running up the electric bill. Maybe some units are different though...

jimbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    north richland hills, texas
    Our power averages short term outages 2-4 times a year.
    I won't fire up the generator if I know it will be a short term outage.

I bought this about 10 years ago.
    Uses the same batteries as the drill and spotlight I've got.
    It runs about 6 hours per battery, which I have 4.
    Even the low speed puts out alot of airflow.

View attachment 388085
    I have one of these and lots of batteries. Works great. :)

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    About those A/C temps running 24/7 at 65 or below, is this your first summer in Texas approaching ? Reason I ask is that I've had several techs tell me thru the years that once the outside temp gets to a certain point, ain't no way a normal compressor can get the inside temp down below a certain number, I forget the magic number. It all made sense once they explained why. Oh, the compressor will work it's azz off trying to get lower but will burn up trying plus running up the electric bill. Maybe some units are different though...
    Thanks, right. This'll be my second summer here, and it's really not the heat that kills me, it's the humidity: soon as it hits 80%... :( I am starting to acclimate, and except when those fk-bugs are out in force I'm outside enjoying, swathed in loose cottons. The ceiling fans over the covered deck really make a difference, so I'm hopeful about the having fans to sleep, if need be :)

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I built the frame from 1 1/2" square tubing and round pipe (for the backbone). The backbone is socketed into the next larger size pipe on the vertical post ends, with 2 half inch bolts from underneath that the backbone rides on to reduce friction for pivoting and to lock the backbone in place. The whole thing was overbuilt, but what did I know (at the time)?

View attachment 388226
    Those are really excellent.
    Wanna build me one?
    I only need one.
    How much would ya want and do you deliver? :laughing:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I have one of these and lots of batteries. Works great. :)
    Batteries, lots and lots of batteries.

We thought we'd be really smart LOL and get rechargeable Ds, Cs, AAs, AAAs, etc - with a solar charger! - only to find out that some things won't work with rechargeables. Like my CCrane radio, and a few other devices.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I had it explained to me that each refrigerant has a certain amount of heat it can move. I won't go into the details because, well, I don't fully understand it .... but .... From what I do understand, if there's a number in the box, things work. This is the chart for r410a / Puron.

1684509883367.png

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I had it explained to me that each refrigerant has a certain amount of heat it can move. I won't go into the details because, well, I don't fully understand it .... but .... From what I do understand, if there's a number in the box, things work. This is the chart for r410a / Puron.

View attachment 388321
    Hey - thanks for that. That's good information right there.

Top Bottom