Venture Surplus ad

So im watching the movie Fists of Fury...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Bruce Lee?......Bruce Campbell could kick most of y'all's butts.....and I'm referring to the BURN NOTICE Bruce Campbell.....

I prefer him as Ash

da60b805faff3da2bbe24b97935fbd09.jpg

…Bruce Lee doesn’t have a chainsaw hand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Titles / competition aren't necessary for advancement in most schools / styles, nor is competition alone an indicator of a person's skill. It can help hone certain skill sets, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it - the true measure of the effectiveness of an art is pressure testing - can it be performed in a full contract, stressful situation.
    A lot comes down to training, the individual's own physicality and ability, along with the actual technique itself.

Interesting that there is a lack of requirement for the other groups.

IMHO, formal competition can provide some benefits, but when it comes to MA, medals (and even belts) are entirely superficial and are primarily geared towards maintining interest in the absence of overt existential pressure.

A couple additional brief points:

1. Not all styles of MA are equal. Some evolved for/through sporting, competition, or similar driving forces. Others evolved as.a function of survival - e.g. the shit that didn't work generally didn't get passed down through generations.

2. Generally speaking (yes, some nuance involved):

Kata = Kumite
    Kumite ≠ Kata

ETA: just as a basic reference as to where I'm coming from with the above comment; I am by no means anywhere near what I would consider to be an "expert" martial artist (far far from it); that said, considerable time has been spent in topical study, and the main training focus areas for me have historically been:

Shorin Ryu, Aikido, Kyusho Jitsu, Aiki-Jutsu, Iaido, Wado Ryu, and Kali

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Bruce Lee may never have fought in matches in martial arts. But he was a driving force in martial arts that brought it to Americans, where historically, Asians had very seldom ever taught martial arts to anyone that wasn't Asian. He bridged that gap between non-Asians and Asians because of his being half-American, so he knew about the racism that was there.

He had studied martial arts from a very young age as well. He learned what worked, and didn't work and learned how to blend various disciplines of martial arts together. I seriously doubt that martial arts where they are now would be, without the influence of Bruce Lee.

And I'll say this, it's easy to disrespect a dead man who isn't around to defend his honor, but I somehow doubt there are any of his detractors that have the balls to have entered the ring with Bruce Lee in his prime.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    But it was a simple I'm getting old and youngins are uncultured thread.

Did I doooooo thaaaat!
    Does your daughter know who is this guy:

1628736446377.png

Best martial artist ever in the movies! Well, the funniest one anyway. The character, the actor.

By the way, maybe someone mentioned it already or maybe not, I did not read all 7 pages of posts, but Charlie Chan (whom someone else mentioned in a post) was not played by an Asian actor, at least not one of mostly Asian descent. In the first films in which Chan was the main character, the role was played by Warner Oland. The role was played by him (a white Swede who supposedly was some part Asian) in the 1930s up until 1937. He was in about 16 Chan films (see the list here, the list shows all Charlie Chan movies). Later in the late 30s, after Oland's death in 1938, it was played by Sidney Toler. Toler played the part from the late 1930s into the late 1940s. He was also a white male, he was born in MO. After Toler passed on in 1947, Roland Winters, another white male took over the role for a couple of years. I liked them when I was a kid and still like them when I get the chance to watch them again nowadays. I prefer Toler's portrayal over those of the other two. Later, in the 1950s, J. Carrol Naish played in a new Charlie Chan series made at first in the U.S. and then later in the UK. There have also been other movies and such made with Chan as the main character or with a character that parodied Chan such a Sidney Wang in Murder By Death as played by Peter Sellers. (Sources: 1 & 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

Some folks find Charlie Chan movies offensive due to the apparent racism in Hollywood, of that era, that kept Asian actors out of the main roles. Others found the that the character led to better acceptance of the Chinese in America and around the world and give credit to Earl Derr Biggers (7) for having written mystery novels about a Chinese detective living in the USA who was excellent at what he did and was not intimidating but was acceptable to Americans and thus portrayed the Chinese in America in a favorable light (same source as #1 above). There were several foreign adaptations of Chan stories to films including in China. Mostly though you do not hear much about Charlie Chan films today today, except from old timers who watched reruns back in in their younger days and maybe still watch them today like me. At least few Asians I have known, mostly from work but also one of my girlfriends (who was half Chinese, 1/4 European-American & 1/4 Panamanian - a Zonite see the link for those not in the know) loved the old 1930s and 40s Charlie Chan films as much as I do regardless of who was the lead. I watched them when I was a kid in the 60s and had no idea of anything to do with racism and I watch them today because they grew on me then and are good memories to relive. I'd love to have the entire collection to watch at my leisure. Fun movies to watch albeit dated and mostly corny by today's standards but still enjoyable to watch - just no martial arts for the most part if any at all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom