• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDuds

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2023
    Fort Worth
    For me the most valuable reason to maintain a LTC is the “carry on premises” protection under the
    Law. If u should accidentally carry into a business or operation that prohibits concealed carry and u are discovered to have a gun; the business or operation can only ask u to leave or remove the gun from the premises. They can not pursue charges against u.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Was in the process of getting my LTC when the constitutional carry law passed, so didn't end up getting it. Of you already have one though I would renew it.
    Just one advantage, It allows you to carry within a 1000 yards of a school. You can be arrested if you drive by a school and you don't have an LTC an your fire arm isn't locked up and inaccessible within your vehicle.

ywwuyi

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2024
    Austin
    It says nothing other than allow sufficient time for processing I hope that means it's been mailed out - I guess the fact that I'm not a US citizen might make things slower...
    OK, this is hilarious:
    I got a mail from the DPS, I thought it is my LTC but instead it is a letter showing that my LTC (which has yet to arrive) is expiring this June?!

My hunting licence expires this July, and my EAD card (immigration status) expires this May and was just extended. I simply don't know how did this weird June date came up.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    When I lived in AL I still got their permit despite not needing one since they have constitutional carry. The main reason was for reciprocity with TN and GA, which I traveled to frequently. Better to have and not need, as the saying goes...
    Yep good for travel to other states that have reciprocity. 29 permitless states make it easier now for those who don't have a permit too

Dermako

Semi-Retired of that
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    Aside from Reciprocity your LTC allows you to:
    • Carry within 1000ft of a school (this is federal law). Must have an LTC to be within 1000ft of a public school while carrying a firearm.
    • When coupled with a Letter from US Army Corps of Engineers, it allows you to carry at the recreational area/lakes controlled by USACE. 31 major lakes in Texas are covered under this Federal Law. (Note you need a LTC and Letter of Permission).
    • Skip any waiting periods to buy a firearm.
    • Concealed carry at the State Capital. (Cannot with permit-less).
    • Concealed carry at the State Fair of Texas. (Cannot with permit-less).
    • Counts as a legal form of ID. (Can also have your Veteran Status and count as a legal Veteran ID).
    This is just a couple of the benefits.
    Renewed mine about two months ago. Got it in about three weeks.
    In addition to the above, should you be pulled over by a LEO in TX and produce it as required it shows you have already passed a background check (at least at the time of issuance) so tension level usually drops a notch or two.
    But it is always followed by the question. Are you carrying now?

All that said: should you ever have to use your weapon and discharge round, your life will change from that moment forward.
    Are you going to be Bubba the constitutional carry guy or Joe the guy that went through at least some gun training, use of force, related laws and passed a background check should you go to court and likely civil court.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I will respond to you below, however it is recommended to renew for multiple reasons.

This is incorrect. I just took my son to the DMV to get his stuff. They required 3 forms of ID. I had to provide his social security card, birth certificate + 1 (in our case we used his Military Dependent ID, however they said his report card would do). Plus 2 proofs of residency (bills, etc). We used our Appraisal and my Voter Registration.

Aside from Reciprocity your LTC allows you to:
    • Carry within 1000ft of a school (this is federal law). Must have an LTC to be within 1000ft of a public school while carrying a firearm.
    • When coupled with a Letter from US Army Corps of Engineers, it allows you to carry at the recreational area/lakes controlled by USACE. 31 major lakes in Texas are covered under this Federal Law. (Note you need a LTC and Letter of Permission).
    • Skip any waiting periods to buy a firearm.
    • Concealed carry at the State Capital. (Cannot with permit-less).
    • Concealed carry at the State Fair of Texas. (Cannot with permit-less).
    • Counts as a legal form of ID. (Can also have your Veteran Status and count as a legal Veteran ID).
    This is just a couple of the benefits.
    • Concealed carry at the State Capital. (Cannot with permit-less.
    Not any more. After 26 years of allowing it, you can't carry at the State Fair anymore.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Who is going to do something about it? It will be handled the same way as Cowboys Stadium for non-school/professional sporting events or the AA center for non-professional, non-sporting events. You will not be able to carry.
    I guess you didn't see the letter sent by the AG, he told them they have 15 days to respond or face a 1500 dollar a day fine. And he says they cannot ban firearms.

Last edited:

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Just one advantage, It allows you to carry within a 1000 yards of a school. You can be arrested if you drive by a school and you don't have an LTC an your fire arm isn't locked up and inaccessible within your vehicle.
    It is 1000 feet, not yards. Where did you find the firearm locked up and inaccessible? Did I miss that in the law? I didn't think that was a get home free card. I don't think people get arrested for this unless they are violating some other law but who knows.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Received my renewal today. Yay, first time to renew with the senior discount as an old fart. They always have the caveat about reusing your DL picture and fingerprints...if possible. I'd assume the fingerprints wouldn't be an issue since they went all digital about a dozen years ago.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Received my renewal today. Yay, first time to renew with the senior discount as an old fart. They always have the caveat about reusing your DL picture and fingerprints...if possible. I'd assume the fingerprints wouldn't be an issue since they went all digital about a dozen years ago.
    If they have a problem with either they will let you know.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    I guess you didn't see the letter sent by the AG, he told them they have 15 days to respond or face a 1500 dollar a day fine. And he says they cannot ban firearms.
    Did anything come of this? They announced the fair on the news this morning and I thought, "Not going this year."

Top Bottom