• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I think so, The Conqueror. He plays Genghis Kahn.

That is one of the most entertaining movies I've ever watched. Pity that they filmed it on radioactive sand too soon after a nuclear test. A whole LOT of cast and crew wound up with cancer later in life...including Susan Hayward and John Wayne himself. While that fact makes it an objectively bad movie, the movie itself is a fun watch.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Been a looooong time since I saw it, and it seems to be one of his overlooked roles but...

"McQ"

mac-10 Duke.gif

jlm195650

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2024
    Bandera, TX
    Just got done watching my number1,”The Searchers” and number two “In Harms Way”. Now my third best “Big Jake”

So how doesn’t list stack up to yours?
    First thought was all of them. However, Big Jake is a Favorite, Rio Lobo, the Train Robbers, and of course True Grit

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
    ~John Bernard Books
    John Wayne in The Shootist
    ShootistPoster.jpg

"Friend, there's nobody up there shooting back at you. It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't."

Last edited:

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    As so many of you have said, "The Searchers" is his best. There are so many others just as good, and some just bad. Jet Pilot, The Conqueror (where he plays Ghangis Khan), The Comancheros , and The High and the Mighty are some not good movies. Island in the Sky is okay and I like Dark Command with Roy Rogers, The Sheppard of the Hills with Harey Carey Sr. and The Sea Chase. In The Sea Chase I particularly like when Wayne takes down the Nazi Flag on the ship and replaces it with the WW1 German flag which is the first flag of the initial German state formed in 1871 from the 5 German provences (sp) since my great-great grandfather immigrated from there.

cporfe

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Jun 20, 2018
    Elgin
    I find that the books the movies are based on are always better. That's why I won't see a movie based on a book I've already read. It just leads to disappointments. There's always an exception of course. After watching "Forest Gump" I read the book. The book was such a disappointment.

johnbeaver

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Livingston
    GOD BLESS JOHN WAYNE
    We had a movie theatre in town that had gone through several owners. This was in the mid sixties.
    The newest owner had moved his family out of the big city, Beaumont, I think, to raise them in a small town.
    Things went pretty well to start and then a slump. People were just not coming for the movies he was getting. Or able to get. Not sure how things worked in the picture show business.
    He was pretty worried and trying to decide what movies to get to draw a crowd and one of his buddies suggested a new western.
    And he was like, no westerns are dying out. Just not sure. Anyway, he decided to take a chance on a new western. The War Wagon.
    The way he told it, this might be the last movie before he had to close or sell.
    People were lined up down the block. Sell out every night and he held it over for a couple of days.
    So that became his mantra. GOD BLESS JOHN WAYNE.
    I heard that story at a Lions Club meeting shortly before he passed. Wish I could have told it better.
    But we did get to see all the John Wayne movies that came out after that. And he even reached back and got some of the older ones.
    Good times.

Top Bottom