• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I jsut started wondering (must be the caffeine) why there arent more shotgun pistols.

The Judge is a good idea, .410 pistol. but why not a 20 ga revolver or even a semi automatic? seems liek the logical next step right? legally it wouldnt be calssified as a shotgun, simply as a firearm as i understand it since it wouldnt be "designed to be fired from the shoulder" but if it was made to be used one handed it could be designated a pistol... maybe? (txinvestigator might want to chime in on this one)

i think it is a good idea, but they dont seem to be in production, think of the snake wasting applications. especially in a smooth bore. perfect hiking gun. and a buttload better than having a .410 int he glovebox.
    Texas SOT

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    oh snap.

i thought those where only chambered for rifle rounds.
    but even so those are single shot are they not?
    not the best for SD (against critters or bgs)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    oh snap.

i thought those where only chambered for rifle rounds.
    but even so those are single shot are they not?
    not the best for SD (against critters or bgs)

True, single shot.....the .410 barrel shoots both .410 & 45LC (when you remover the choke)
    I still have not warmed up to the "Judge".....seems kinda pointless except for maybe snakes. I wouldn't carry one for SD with all the other
    available options, but that is just my .02.

- Cam

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    True, single shot.....the .410 barrel shoots both .410 & 45LC (when you remover the choke)
    I still have not warmed up to the "Judge".....seems kinda pointless except for maybe snakes. I wouldn't carry one for SD with all the other
    available options, but that is just my .02.

- Cam
    agreed. .410 isnt a very good choice for SD. thats why im talking about the same basic idea, jsut scaled up to 20 ga atleast. 12 would be fun, but a handful.

though a .410 full of snake shot would be a helluva lot better than a can of pepper sray when applied ot the face of an attacker. heheh

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Actually, there used to be some. My Uncle owns one - 12 gauge, and I'm here to tell you that you do NOT want to shoot it for "funsies". Looks wicked and all, but there is NO way I want to shoot it EVER again. Period!!!

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Actually, there used to be some. My Uncle owns one - 12 gauge, and I'm here to tell you that you do NOT want to shoot it for "funsies". Looks wicked and all, but there is NO way I want to shoot it EVER again. Period!!!

Roflmao!
    i want more details Tex.
    sounds like there is a fun story in there some place.
    and was that a revolver?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    This was an old revolving shotgun pistol, dating back to at least the early 1900's, mebbe even late 1800's. I was 14 years old the first time I shot it on a dare from a bunch of my Uncle's at a "guys day out" when one of the cousins was having a bridal shower, and the guys retreated to my Uncle's ranch. A discussion about the old gun ensued, and I was eager to see the gun (even then I was a gun nut - already owned several I had bought with my own $$$). They said I couldn't see it unless I was willing to shoot it - I shoulda simply have jumped off the cliff we shot at!! Thought that sucker had snapped my freakin' wrist!! IIRC, it was a 4-round cylinder....HUGE freakin' cylinder, too!

Wolfwood

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    wow i bet.
    you remember what kindof loads you where shooting?
    they prolly set you up with some slugs eh?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    agreed. .410 isnt a very good choice for SD. thats why im talking about the same basic idea, jsut scaled up to 20 ga atleast. 12 would be fun, but a handful.

though a .410 full of snake shot would be a helluva lot better than a can of pepper sray when applied ot the face of an attacker. heheh

.410 is great for SD, it just needs an 18" barrel. . . .

: )

I saw something on a internet video. It was one of those really short shotguns (like the magazine capacity was 1). It had a foregrip and grip like the one on Terminator 2 (guy said it had a pistol grip to begin with). He said it was classified as AOW (all other weapons) and cost $5 for the tax stamp. It wasn't classified as a "shotgun." Maybe it was a "pistol" and he had to get AOW for the forgrip. I really am not familar with it.

I might get a 410 handgun as a fun gun, but its WAY down on the list.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    AOW covers any other weapon. The short barreled shotguns with pistol grips are not not technically considered shotguns because it doesn't have a stock or a long barrel so it fits in the AOW category. The reason the Judge isn't an AOW is because it has a rifled barrel, therefore it fits in the category of pistols. If you tried to make a similar 20 or 12 gauge pistol with a rifled barrel it would be defined a destructive device and subject to a $200 tax stamp because it has a bore greater than 0.50" If you made it with a smooth bore it would be an AOW and have the $5 tax stamp.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The judge is a handgun not because of a rifled barrel, but because it was designed to be fired with one hand. There is no "pistol" category.

here are the federal definitions.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921

§ 921. Definitions

(a) As used in this chapter—
    3) The term “firearm” means (A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;
    (B) the frame or receiver of any such weapon;
    (C) any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or
    (D) any destructive device. Such term does not include an antique firearm.

(4) The term “destructive device” means—

(A) any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas— (i) bomb,
    (ii) grenade,
    (iii) rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces,
    (iv) missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one-quarter ounce,
    (v) mine, or
    (vi) device similar to any of the devices described in the preceding clauses;
    (B) any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell which the Attorney General finds is generally recognized as particularly suitable for sporting purposes) by whatever name known which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one-half inch in diameter; and
    (C) any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any destructive device described in subparagraph (A) or (B) and from which a destructive device may be readily assembled.

(5) The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

(6) The term “short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

(29) The term “handgun” means— (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B) any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.
    The Judge is a handgun. A handgun with a smooth bore is classified as a handgun.

A smooth bore firearm (usually thought of as a shotgun) that has a legal barrel length (18"plus) and legal overall length (26" plus) but has a pistol grip is not a shotgun. It was not designed to be fired with one hand, so it is not a handgun. It is not an AOW because of the legal barrel.

A serbu is an AOW.

super_shorty_870..jpg

It is designed to be fired with two hands, making it not a handgun. It is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, making it not a shotgun. It has a short barrel, making it an AOW.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks for the link, txinvestigator. So the only difference for buying an A.O.W. item versus Class III is that the tax stamp is $5 rather than $200 and you still have to go through the whole BATF Form 4?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom