• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reyea02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    safety razors are the way to go. be sure to get a quality shaving brush as well as using shaving soap or cream. avoid the aerosol can. i've been using a merkur razor for 6 months and won't go back to multi-blade razors.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The kind of traditional shaving that you guys are advocating is entirely too much work. I get up, wake up then go use the pot. While seated, I use my electric rotary razor and shave. I don't even look in the mirror as I can feel the whiskers. When it's all over, I wash up, make my bed and cook breakfast for Jake and I.

Flash

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    I use a straight razor. I've been stubbly over the winter but I'm looking forward to getting back into the routine. Whatever you choose, go buy a real shaving brush and cream. That to me makes all the difference in the world.

W

Calbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Austin
    I use a Merkur 34C as well. I really like the Personna blades. For soap I do cheap Van Der Hagen stuff with my badger brush.

It took a little time to get used to shaving with a DE safety razor, but the quality of shave is very good, and the blades are like 10 cents a piece, as opposed to that ridiculous scam Gillette has going on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    To each thier own. I find it quite relaxing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I guess that's 1 way to describe being 1/4" from bleeding out on the bathroom floor, lol.

I use a wall trimmer. If I got something fancy coming up I might brake out the Gillette fusion but my face turns red from it for a couple days.

Don't shave like that often enough to make a straight or safety razor a safe alternative.

Calbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Austin
    To each thier own. I find it quite relaxing.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I guess that's 1 way to describe being 1/4" from bleeding out on the bathroom floor, lol.

I use a wall trimmer. If I got something fancy coming up I might brake out the Gillette fusion but my face turns red from it for a couple days.

Don't shave like that often enough to make a straight or safety razor a safe alternative.
    Safety razors won't really cut you up too bad for the most part. The actual razors are sharp as hell, but the shaver hides all but the very tip of the blade, and there's only like a 30 degree range where the blade even cuts.

Inevitably people get razor burn and some nicks the first few times, but when you learn to do 3 passes and use very little pressure it becomes super easy.

Also I like having a bloc d'alun (osma brand) to rub on my face after shaving. It's a coagulant and a razor burn relief godsend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    I've never cut myself a single time with my safety razor. Even through the brief learning curve.

The best blades I've found are from Germany; Merkur Super. They easily hold a great shaving edge twice as long as the Chinese or Korean blades.

Calbear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2013
    Austin

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Got everything in the mail yesterday, shaved today. Did 3 passes, with and against the grain. Best shave of my life! I still have some bumps under my jaw line, from ingrown hairs due to crappy cartridge blades (I have a Mach 3 or Mach V or whatever the newer ones are), so I got a few minor cuts, but not a big deal and I'm sure those will be going away shortly. Also used an alum stick, which is practically like magic. Don't know why EVERYONE doesn't have a stick of alum around! I picked up all of my stuff here, and highly recommend them! Shipping was extremely fast, and he also has a great YouTube channel with tons of videos on anything to do with this stuff:

Shave Nation - Shaving Supplies

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I use a safety razor - nothing else gives me a decent shave while leaving my blood where it belongs. My beard is too coarse for an electric razor and my skins too sensitive for most crappy multi-blade razors. Plus, I shave around my beard, so a multi-blade razor would guarantee an uneven beard.

i use regular shave gel, though - I may need to look into traditional soaps...

Top Bottom