• ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    The term isolationism is thrown around normally by the RINO's, it's a term really to shut people up about protecting American rights on immigration, jobs, etc. We are dependent on other countries for goods now and that is the problem as to why our economy has stalled and the middle class is disappearing. Once manufacturing moved to China and other third world slave labor camps the decline begin.
    It would seem to me we could remain open as to trade if we had someone who made the deals who loved our country and it's workers rather then look at his/her own portfolio.

It's really very simple if we don't begin manufacturing again at a high level capitalism/freedom is gone IMO, think what a war would be like with China it would be difficult for us to build any huge war machine as in WW2, and of course WalMart would shut down.
    icon7.png

What makes you say our economy has stalled?
    Gun Zone Deals

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And unemployment - real unemployment - is still incredibly high. If one takes into account part time workers who want full time work and those who have been unemployed so long they have dropped off the rolls and aren't counted, the real unemployment rate is more than double the government reported unemployment rate. The participation rate (percentage of people in the workforce) is its lowest since the 70's.

The economy has been stalled for some time.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    And unemployment - real unemployment - is still incredibly high. If one takes into account part time workers who want full time work and those who have been unemployed so long they have dropped off the rolls and aren't counted, the real unemployment rate is more than double the government reported unemployment rate. The participation rate (percentage of people in the workforce) is its lowest since the 70's.

The economy has been stalled for some time.

Ok, I don't know what the other guy posted because I've ignored him, but I just thought you might be using things like the GDP or housing starts or stuff like that. Doesn't sound like it, but I am sure those factors aren't really that big of an indicator of the economy.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    We're WELL past the base of our economy being manufacturing-based but we probably disagree on why. But I digress...

I would point out that we are quite competitive when it comes to the manufacture of low tolerance high precision type environments.

It's just the any monkey can pull a lever garbage that we suck at.

The problem with that, is that no one wants quality stuff anymore.

Last edited:

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I'm not talking about keeping people rich.

I'm talking about the absolute effect higher oil prices has on the rest of the economy.

Are oil prices worth dying for? No, of course not.

Is keeping the oil price low to retard the war machine development of Iran until a better regional solution can be found worth lives? Probably - at least as many as we'll lose if we let their economy loose, they build their military capabilities and the region devolves into utter chaos.

Price of oil goes back to $100 a barrel I'd be just fine. As a Texan you should be just fine with that as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    In the scenarios they mention, $100/barrel will be talked about as the "good old days".

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    In the scenarios they mention, $100/barrel will be talked about as the "good old days".

Always possible, but been hearing that, and "peak oil" for fifty plus years.

Dad, a well respected Geologist/Geophysicist, maintains there is still more oil in Texas alone than most can imagine. And an old friend, and highly respected "big picture" geologist, Hunter Yarborough, now deceased, once showed me his work on a still unexplored structure that runs from AR to Mexico, saying it contained more oil/gas than four Middle East's.

As long as technology, and greed, keeps coming to the fore ...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you say so.

After all, high fuel prices have never hurt any economies in the past.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And I'm sure nuking the Middle East oil fields would just be a slight disruption....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wait, I got mixed up.

It was Iran stopping the flow of oil from the Middle East and threatening nukes of anyone challenged.

Same result.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Methinks you misunderstand hippies. They'd love to see $500/barrel oil because consumption would drop.

I like lower oil prices because consumption increases (to a point - $15/barrel is hyperbole). Consumption increases = wider economic benefit.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    He's trolling I think.

I believe he is more intelligent than he is pretending to be right now. Not sure anyone is really that short sighted.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Methinks you misunderstand hippies. They'd love to see $500/barrel oil because consumption would drop.

I like lower oil prices because consumption increases (to a point - $15/barrel is hyperbole). Consumption increases = wider economic benefit.
    Agreed. However, consumption helps Asian manufacturers. High oil prices helps US manufacturers.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    He's trolling I think.

I believe he is more intelligent than he is pretending to be right now. Not sure anyone is really that short sighted.

People love to say someone is trolling on this board when they don't agree with them. I just disagree with you and the argument. Oil sources are far more diversified then they were in the 80s with substantial surplus capacity. open all the spigots and oil drops to $25 a barrel right now. Conflicts between Iran and the Gulf states have and will occur. We don't need to be involved at a military level. Other nations have far more skin in the game.

They will adjust and find new transport routes out. Its only an issue in the short term.
    I'll take a recession over 10,000 more American body bags.

Top Bottom