• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    How much improvement does the ethanol free gas get? Having worked with fuel terminals I've seen the damage to does to equipment. When available I've used it for my generator but not often in automobile or truck.
    In the Tacoma about 2-3 mpg hwy. in my Corollas about 5-6 mpg hwy. more if I drive the speed limit.
    Military Camp

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    With ethanol free gas and a light foot( meaning I actually drive the speed limit) I get about 20-21 mpg on the highway in my 2015 4x4 Tacoma. I get about 17-18 mpg Hwy if I drive like I normally do
    Damn that's it? My 4x4 Ram with a 5.7 and 3.92 gears gets 21-22 when at 75 or below. Runs about 19mpg above 75 mph. I would expect those tacomas to get better.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’m not sure running the ethanol free has much of a return in value in modern FI for daily use. Around here anyway, it costs about 30% more than regular unleaded, so the gains in fuel economy would need to be that same 30%. It is a definite benefit though in anything running a carb. It’s all I use in my small engines, and even scooter which is FI but still runs months between fill ups

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    You couldn't give me any of these new hi-tech turbo'd V6 trucks, unless they included a fully covered Lifetime warranty.

Then again, I'd never pay 1/2 of what they want for a half ton pickup these days.
    I paid $38k for my 2012 Power Wagon brand new, and made them throw in a Lifetime warranty. No matter what breaks, it only cost me $100 to repair it.
    So far, I've only used the warranty 3 times in almost 10 years, but I'll drive it till I die more than likely!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I saw today the Hummer EV Edition 1 is $110,295. 1,000 hp, 11,500 lb torque, 329 mile estimated range. Reservations are full with a waitlist. Every day I appreciate my Tacoma more!

Their advertised torque number isn’t easy to compare to…because it’s measured after gear reduction.

It’s not at the shaft/flywheel/motor like everyone else, which is how the SAE measures it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I need to program my speedo for 33’s, as I think I’m traveling a bit farther than indicated.

But my 5.3 Silverado gets abysmal mpg LOL
    (The 26 shown as “best mpg” is after I dumped some fuel in from a jug and didn’t account for it)

bfebc06af1522092ec213aebed2c3407.png

rjrules1909

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 26, 2021
    Austin
    Their advertised torque number isn’t easy to compare to…because it’s measured after gear reduction.

It’s not at the shaft/flywheel/motor like everyone else, which is how the SAE measures it.

thats a good info. i didnt know that they get those numbers through reduction. my knowledge on cars is just like someone who does his oil/spark plug change by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I need to program my speedo for 33’s, as I think I’m traveling a bit farther than indicated.

But my 5.3 Silverado gets abysmal mpg LOL
    (The 26 shown as “best mpg” is after I dumped some fuel in from a jug and didn’t account for it)

bfebc06af1522092ec213aebed2c3407.png

My 2001 5.3 gets a pretty consistent 14.5, regardless how I drive.
    I check it every fillup.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    My 08 Tundra 5.7 dblcab twd got 16 mpg no matter what. I loved that engine and truck. But driving & parking the 19' yacht in the city finally took its toll. Traded it in after 5 yrs for a few $$$$ less than what I paid for it. It's still one of the favorite vehicles I've owned.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    thats a good info. i didnt know that they get those numbers through reduction. my knowledge on cars is just like someone who does his oil/spark plug change by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s apply the same math to a Ram Cummins Turbodiesel.

Torque - 1,000 lb-ft
    Final drive - 4.10:1
    First gear - 3.75:1
    Transfer case low - 2.72:1

In this instance, the Ram would have
    41,820 lb-ft of torque

Makes the hummer number look pretty tame in comparison LOL

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Asian car designers. New cars look like a corvette or skrunched shoe. Looked at newer 4 runner, ugh, terrible compared to my 2006. Doors about 2" thicker so elss room inside.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Asian car designers. New cars look like a corvette or skrunched shoe. Looked at newer 4 runner, ugh, terrible compared to my 2006. Doors about 2" thicker so elss room inside.

Toyota’s that are only sold in the US are designed and engineered in the US by Americans…including Tundra and Tacoma

Due to my past and current professions, I know lots of folks who designed and/or engineered both, including the chief engineers, both of whom work in Ann Arbor, MI

Thicker doors are due to side-impact regs

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Yeah the 4.0 would never deliver that mpg…older Toyota engines are bulletproof but thirsty.

Pronstar

Based on what you know, if you were looking for a used Tundra that you were going to use as a spare vehicle, junk hauler, etc., to pass on down to a kid in 10 years, what model years and engines would you look for, and what kind of longevity would you expect.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Pronstar

Based on what you know, if you were looking for a used Tundra that you were going to use as a spare vehicle, junk hauler, etc., to pass on down to a kid in 10 years, what model years and engines would you look for, and what kind of longevity would you expect.

IMHO you can’t go wrong with any Tundra
    The 4.7L is a bit down in power but just as durable as the 5.7

Here’s a decent series about tearing-down high-mile Tundras to see how they hold up:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    IMHO you can’t go wrong with any Tundra
    The 4.7L is a bit down in power but just as durable as the 5.7

Here’s a decent series about tearing-down high-mile Tundras to see how they hold up:

@2:36 - the tailgate dampener...
    My wife got used to how the tailgate opened on my Tundra where she could just unlatch it and let it go. She forgot not all trucks do that and did the same procedure on her dad's F150. He yelled, "What the **** are you doing?" when the tailgate slammed down :laughing:

Top Bottom