Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm looking for a good number of sandbags to fill up to stop incoming...flood water.

Wish/wonder if you could buy those ... big sand bags ... last a long time.

... You could make anything you wanted out of those things

Well, he only wanted to stop incoming water so bags suitable for building "anything" aren't what he wants. :)

If he did, I could have mentioned the "earthbags" used by the enviro-conscious crowd to build a variety of things. Information is plentiful and there are how-to vids on Youtube for every aspect of using them. According to the info I've found, they're poly and cost about $75/500. They're also meant to be sealed inside walls and not left out in the sun.

Let me google that for you

earthbag5_zps884a4212.jpg

earthbag6_zps3a33863d.jpg
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Dang, that tire wall looks like a lot of work. I think cinder blocks would save you a lot of labor. How much do junk tires cost?

I like the earth-bag idea.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well since we have to pay to get rid of tires at the tire shop I think theyd be nearly free?

I lived down the street from Buckminster Fullers personal geodesic house when I was in college. That guy was a dreamer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Dang, that tire wall looks like a lot of work.
    That's sorta the point. These building methods are supremely cost-efficient in those locations and situations where labor is cheap and sophisticated materials are expensive.

This stuff is great for the third world, do-it-yourselfers, and folks who have out-of-mainstream priorities.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the tires would be much more durable than both sandbags and cinder blocks. But harder to store and ugly to leave out year round.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well since we have to pay to get rid of tires at the tire shop I think theyd be nearly free?
    I dunno... Tires are fully recyclable so they have scrap value. I did a brief search and found one site saying they'd pay $1.16 for passenger car tires. That's pretty cheap building material but looks like I could probably only set about 2 tires an hour. Someone in better shape than me might be able to do 4 an hour.

do-it-yourselfers, and folks who have out-of-mainstream priorities.
    That pretty well describes me. :laughing:
    I'm rather cost conscience with my labor these days, tho. I can see how it could be worth it with essentially free labor. It would depend a lot on what the wall is for, too. I could see using a dirt filled tire wall to hold up the back side of a shooting berm.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I dunno... Tires are fully recyclable so they have scrap value. I did a brief search and found one site saying they'd pay $1.16 for passenger car tires. That's pretty cheap building material but looks like I could probably only set about 2 tires an hour. Someone in better shape than me might be able to do 4 an hour.

That pretty well describes me. :laughing:
    I'm rather cost conscience with my labor these days, tho. I can see how it could be worth it with essentially free labor. It would depend a lot on what the wall is for, too. I could see using a dirt filled tire wall to hold up the back side of a shooting berm.

I figured they were sold to recyclers by the truckload so im not sure why they charge a tire disposal fee?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Dang, that tire wall looks like a lot of work. I think cinder blocks would save you a lot of labor. How much do junk tires cost?

I like the earth-bag idea.

There's a tool you can rent/buy to pack the tires if you don't want to pack them like that. I can't find it on my phone but I'm sure a search would find it.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I figured they were sold to recyclers by the truckload so im not sure why they charge a tire disposal fee?
    yeah... about that ;)

The scrap value of tires (or anything else for that matter) didn't used to be that high. 10 years ago tire shops probably did have to pay someone one to two dollars per tire to haul them away. Any shop still doing that today needs to re-evaluate their disposal methods. There might also be some bullshit EPA or local regulations preventing tire shops from selling strait to recyclers where as scrap yards probably have looser restrictions.

Last edited:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There's a tool you can rent/buy to pack the tires if you don't want to pack them like that. I can't find it on my phone but I'm sure a search would find it.
    Yeah, if you could get a foot for a vibratory compactor that would fit inside the tire it would make quick work of it. I was also theorizing in my head how I could attach something to the front loader of my tractor and compact like three tires at once. Not sure if that would adequately fill the sidewalls, tho. It looks like the dirt really needs to be squeezed in there.

Top Bottom