• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I found some a long time ago at something like 5 cents each for GI type.

Downside: they were being sold by the pallet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Crap, I thought we were talking about defensive positions and fortifications.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I've been experimenting with sand bag longevity uinder the Texas sun. heat, and humidity after reading the book "Special Forces Camps in Vietnam 1961-70" by Gordon L Rottman. Burlap bags fall apart very quickly under conditions of sunlight, high heat and humidity as our SF guys found out in Vietnam so they capped their sandbags with concrete to to avoid the back-breaking labor of constantly replacing the bags. I've increased burlap sandbag longevity slightly by lining them with two garbage bags but don't expect to move them once the burlap starts to rot. Sandbags made from UV stabilized polypropylene last 2-3 times as long as burlap but are much more expensive. What one needs to consider is how long do they expect to need their sandbag bunkers? If you believe order will be returned within weeks of the shtf, then the cheaper burlap bags will suffice, if you believe it could be months or years, then go with polypropylene.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Burlap bags are best. They are made to be filled, then emptied when it is time to move forward.

For all of the "Doug Out Dugs" who want to hold on to their little piece of ground until they are over run, you better build your fortress with cinder blocks and reinforced concrete.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Sandbags are a best management practice at many construction sites to mitigate run off into the storm sewers. They can usually be found locally, stop by a neighborhood where homes are being built and ask the superintendent where he gets his. Probably locally, and usually real cheap.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Sandbags are a best management practice at many construction sites to mitigate run off into the storm sewers. They can usually be found locally, stop by a neighborhood where homes are being built and ask the superintendent where he gets his. Probably locally, and usually real cheap.

Excellent idea.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Guess that depends. How long till its permanent.

I'd say all were considered fairly permanent. Anything considered temp would probably just have concertina wire.

I don't see much difference in emptying. Untie the string and turn upside down.

If YOU plan on only a month or two, might as well save money I guess, but make sure they are t stored where they will rot. Burlap is pretty biodegradable IIRC. Made from plant plants.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Eh. Not arguing one point or the other. Just asking.

Ill probably just start buying a few boxes here and there of the green type I used in the army.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Burlap bags are best. They are made to be filled, then emptied when it is time to move forward.

For all of the "Doug Out Dugs" who want to hold on to their little piece of ground until they are over run, you better build your fortress with cinder blocks and reinforced concrete.
    Good thing I'm a "Bunker Bob" then.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Wish/wonder if you could buy those Jersey Berriers (think that's what they were called) we had in Iraq, they were awesome sand bags, fill them with a loader. They were like big sand bags and seemed to last a long time.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Wish/wonder if you could buy those Jersey Berriers (think that's what they were called) we had in Iraq, they were awesome sand bags, fill them with a loader. They were like big sand bags and seemed to last a long time.

Are you talking about the Hesco's You could make anything you wanted out of those things

Top Bottom