• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    No I meant there's actually one designed for this specific use - ramming earth into tires for earthship homes. Can't find a link.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vjmrdp18469719a/Manuals_Terra_Filler_and_other_devices.pdf

Untitled-1+(2).jpg

Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That terra filler looks very useful if strenuous to use.

I realize that vibratory plate compactors wouldn't work very well but that vibratory ram looks like more work than just using a sledge and the terra filler.

What I was wondering was if a jumping jack compactor with a pointed bottom plate might work. They look like this:

My best friend died when I was in my mid-20s. His family insisted the grave be closed in their presence after the service. (There was some weird shit going on that's not worthy of discussion here.) The crew finished the closure with one of those jumping jack tampers. I was deeply impressed with how controllable and efficient that sort of device was for doing the job. Now, I wonder if that controllability could be useful when someone is trying to do all their compression work inside a tire.

This is just an idle thought, though. It's highly unlikely I'll ever put this little thought experiment into practice.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Hmm I think used tires packed like that could also make a good backstop for a home range.
    I have heard (I have never tested, just been told) that earth-filled tires and railroad ties are completely unsuitable for shooting backstops. The reason, supposedly, is that .22s and low-velocity standard paperpunching loads, like .38 wadcutters and .45 semiwadcutters used at Conventional Pistol velocities, can fail to penetrate and bounce back. A quick google search turns up volumes of anecdotes where shooting at tires resulted in projectiles zipping right back at the shooter.

Yes, I realize that the plural of "anecdote" is not "data." However, I won't shoot at tires.

For home range backstops, I'm fascinated by shock absorbing concrete. Now I've officially gone way OT, so I'm going to stop.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    This looks great.

No penetration and incomplete penetration are two completely different things. It is clearly visible that the rounds penetrated the wall, they just didnt go all the way through. Even there little illustration at the end shows penetration and even uses the word penetration.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The one I was thinking of was called the "Iron Butterfly" and was for sale/rent by Biotecture training (out of Austin I believe). It looks like their site is down now. Maybe they went out of business.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I scored a bunch of earth tubes a while back that I will use. They come in a roll and sometimes you can find them at closeout prices. There's an advantage of being able to cut them to length, but you have to tie both ends.
    There was a place that I was gonna get some from in North Austin, but I can't find them any longer.

Here's a place that has misprint bags for 15 cents/ea rated for 400 hours of UV protection, I think. Not very long, but they're cheap. I like to be in at least the 1,600 hour range.
    http://www.pac-packaging.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Earthbag_Specifications.51104305.pdf

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Banana Bay in Austin had the poly sand bags for ~$1 each if you bought more than 200. They also had burlap for under $1 each, I believe.

Side note, they're under new owners now. Everything that had the old yellow tags was 50% off.

Top Bottom