• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas48

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    San Antonio
    Whereas I was a initially a big fan of Julian Castro (he was a great spokesman for the city), once his true colors and aspirations became known I lost all faith in him.

Cheers! M2

Really? Castro is a political hack and whose mother was a La Raza activist in the 60's and 70s. One of their goals was the reintegration of the southwest including Texas with Mexico. Attached is some information that you may find interesting. What is Aztlan, Raza, and MEChA. You'll find his roots there.
    Lynx Defense

Texas48

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    San Antonio
    He fooled a lot of people....
    No one looked. He killed the PGA Village here with his gang which included LULAC and La Raza. They pushed for 8.00 per hour for 1000 workers that would have been employed, the minimum wage at that time was $5.15, and when they got it they started the environmental issue about it being over the Edwards Aquifer.
    The PGA just said we don't need the controversy and pulled out. For those who are not aware, the PGA has a PGA village in Florida and California and wanted to have one in the middle of the country. San Antonio was their choice until Castros, LULAC and La Raza killed it. It cost this area 10's of millions of dollars per year in ancillary revenue and jobs. Then he ran for mayor and the LIV's elected him. He is the darling of the progressives in Washington like his mentor Cisneros. Another community organizer.

Last edited:

bignic83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    West of San Antone
    Adkisson is the county commissioner for District 4, which if you will remember is where the AT&T Expo Center is located. Recall that the county owns that venue, and doubled the price of parking for the Premier Gun Shows which is why they haven't had an event here for so long. They finally struck a deal but at a cost to the promoters. I emailed Adkisson's office about it and never got a reply, so as far as I am concerned he can "Adkisson my ass" when it comes to his run for mayor!

Honestly, the mayor of San Antonio is just a cheerleader's job; it's the city manager who wields all the power and makes the vital decisions that affect us all. Whereas I was a initially a big fan of Julian Castro (he was a great spokesman for the city), once his true colors and aspirations became known I lost all faith in him.

Hell, I would gladly vote for Greg over all of the current candidates...maybe he should run!

Cheers! M2

Let's start a petition for Greg!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Really? Castro is a political hack and whose mother was a La Raza activist in the 60's and 70s. One of their goals was the reintegration of the southwest including Texas with Mexico. Attached is some information that you may find interesting. What is Aztlan, Raza, and MEChA. You'll find his roots there.

Yes, I heard him speak several times and in his role as a cheerleader for the city, he did his job and did it well.

As for his mother, I knew about her; but what has that got to do with him?

Plus, he really didn't have that much power within the city...

Texas48

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    San Antonio
    Yes, I heard him speak several times and in his role as a cheerleader for the city, he did his job and did it well.

As for his mother, I knew about her; but what has that got to do with him?

Plus, he really didn't have that much power within the city...

It appears you are a supporter and I have a very negative opinion of he and his brother.
    Its true the Mayoris a figure head and does not have much power in SAT.
    His policies were very far left and anti-gun. The PreK debacle is a prime example, its nothing more than a baby sitting service, since every ISD in SAT has a Pre K program, that he actively promoted and if I recall correctly, took credit for. This is another far left entitlement that we are paying for big time.

Apparently you don't think the PGA village fiasco was not a big issue. He was a real cheerleader for that.

As for his mother, she took he and his brother to La Rasa Unida meetings when they were children. I think young children are impressionable and are easily indoctrinated. Thats what his mother has to do with it.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It appears you are a supporter and I have a very negative opinion of he and his brother.
    Its true the Mayoris a figure head and does not have much power in SAT.
    His policies were very far left and anti-gun. The PreK debacle is a prime example, its nothing more than a baby sitting service, since every ISD in SAT has a Pre K program, that he actively promoted and if I recall correctly, took credit for. This is another far left entitlement that we are paying for big time.

Apparently you don't think the PGA village fiasco was not a big issue. He was a real cheerleader for that.

As for his mother, she took he and his brother to La Rasa Unida meetings when they were children. I think young children are impressionable and are easily indoctrinated. Thats what his mother has to do with it.

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? Read my first post. Maybe you ought to keep off the weed...

But, since you don't seem to be paying attention, I will repeat a very obvious fact. The mayor has very little authority in this city. Most of that lies in the hands of the city manager. And, if you think he has anything to do with the ridiculous gun laws San Antonio has on the books, once again you are badly mistaken. They were around long before he took office.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

I would NOT argue with that the SA mayor has little power
    BUT
    imVho, we need to FIRE the city manager & give that responsibility to a more powerful mayor.

yours, satx

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The mayor of SATX is far more powerful than the City Manager.

The City Manager serves at the discretion of the Mayor and City Council, and serves in an appointed position.

The Mayor sets priorities and develops a "vision" for the city's future. The City Manager makes that happen or gets fired.

San Antonio has not had conservative governance since its founding with one exception: Mayor Howard Peak.

Unlike previous and subsequent mayors, he was not a career attorney. He got a degree in City Planning from a state university.

San Antonio had good government, little corruption, and a better standard of living than at any time before or since.

The only reason San Antonio has not slipped into a death spiral of debt is because of massive Federal Spending at numerous military installations, State & Federal Medical Facilities, USAA, and a huge retired military population.

Toyota USA capitalized on this model and is praying it won't go broke in SA.

San Antonio is a huge, festering boil about to burst.

When .gov runs out of money, SA will be a hell-hole.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    The mayor of SATX is far more powerful than the City Manager.

The City Manager serves at the discretion of the Mayor and City Council, and serves in an appointed position.

The Mayor sets priorities and develops a "vision" for the city's future. The City Manager makes that happen or gets fired.

San Antonio has not had conservative governance since its founding with one exception: Mayor Howard Peak.

Unlike previous and subsequent mayors, he was not a career attorney. He got a degree in City Planning from a state university.

San Antonio had good government, little corruption, and a better standard of living than at any time before or since.

The only reason San Antonio has not slipped into a death spiral of debt is because of massive Federal Spending at numerous military installations, State & Federal Medical Facilities, USAA, and a huge retired military population.

Toyota USA capitalized on this model and is praying it won't go broke in SA.

San Antonio is a huge, festering boil about to burst.

When .gov runs out of money, SA will be a hell-hole.

That's about right. Great city in many ways, but unfortunately politically SA is a lost cause and will eventually go the way of the others.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    shortround,

My point is that the current city manager is OVER-PAID by about 400,000 bucks a year & NEEDS to be REMOVED. Once she leaves the office for any reason whatever, NO new city manager should be hired OR the appointed position should be ABOLISHED entirely.

Having BOTH a mayor & city manager is WASTEFUL & SILLY.

yours, satx

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Greg didn't make it to the run offs so we're stuck with two losers to not vote for.

The tards in this city voted to raise the salary of the Mayor who does jack to $61,725 from $4,040, about 15 times more.

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I voted for Mayor Taylor in May and will do so again in June. Leticia Van De Putte is an uber liberal and she directly led to the break down of police & fire negotiations when she sought and received their endorsements. I cannot over state my disdain for Leticia. Career politician that lost her statewide bid but can't let the teet go.

Budget

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2015
    I don't think anyone who is not already rich should even consider being mayor, because the San Antonio Mayor only make $3000 a year. The mayor also works up to 40 hours a week. That's less than minimum wage 50 years ago.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Wrong. Source

A Council and Mayor Salaries Amendment was on the ballot for San Antoniovoters in Bexar County, Texas, on May 9, 2015. It was approved. Charter Amendment 2 increased the salary of city council members from $20 per meeting, amounting to $1,040 per year, to $45,722 per year. Amendment 2 was also designed to increase the salary of the mayor from $4,040 per year to $61,725 per year.[SUP][1][/SUP]
    Councilman Ron Nirenberg explained that, as things were, the council member and mayoral offices were basically full-time volunteer positions. He said, “I think it goes without saying that everyone up here takes on this job willingly, knowing exactly what we’re getting into. And the beauty of this job is you never have to wake up in the morning thinking that you’re going to work for the money.” Nirenburg agreed, however, that it was time to let voters decide if they wanted to open up the city council and mayoral office to candidates from a wider range of economic classes.[SUP][2][/SUP]
    Amendment 2 was designed to allow the salary increases to take effect immediately, applying for the mayor and council members elected on May 9, 2015.[SUP][1][/SUP]

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    shortround,

My point is that the current city manager is OVER-PAID by about 400,000 bucks a year & NEEDS to be REMOVED. Once she leaves the office for any reason whatever, NO new city manager should be hired OR the appointed position should be ABOLISHED entirely.

Having BOTH a mayor & city manager is WASTEFUL & SILLY.

yours, satx

SATX: Your point is noted and I too agree that paying a city manager $400 K is on the high side.

Sadly, progressive thought dreamed up the role of city managers, and the voters were dumb enough to allow it.

Give an un-elected official total control over the city's budget and administration.

Liberal Mayors love this model because they can always blame the city manager.

We have to change the city charter to eliminate the position of city manager.

As far as I know, Texas State University has the leading "city planning/ management" program in the entire country.

Don't blame the mayor, blame the system.

Top Bottom