• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Is there anyone worth voting for? All the candidates seem to be listed as non-partisan in their party affiliations. I guess that means they're all ultra liberal but don't want to admit it. Is it even worth the trouble of voting if they're all the same?
    ARJ Defense ad

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I know that it is tough to stay away from the "what's the point" thinking. But, I still don't want them (Demorats) to think that we are just giving up, without a fight.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I know that it is tough to stay away from the "what's the point" thinking. But, I still don't want them (Demorats) to think that we are just giving up, without a fight. "Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"
    Is there a conservative running?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Is there anyone worth voting for? All the candidates seem to be listed as non-partisan in their party affiliations. I guess that means they're all ultra liberal but don't want to admit it. Is it even worth the trouble of voting if they're all the same?

Something I noticed a lot here in local politics.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Linky sucks (basically nothing but a pic of one candidate)?

Works here and not a subscriber. You need to get rid of that Commodore 64!!! :roflfunny:

Here is the article..

In San Antonio, some chutzpah and a hundred bucks can buy you a few months of municipal glory.
    That appears to be the common thread among a brigade of mayoral candidates — aside from contenders Mike Villarreal, Leticia Van de Putte, Tommy Adkisson and Mayor Ivy Taylor — who yearn to be mayor, or at least to garner the attention derived from seeking the seat.
    They paid a $100 fee to place their names on the May 9 ballot and have spent the last few months, to varying degrees, pursuing the office.
    The campaigns of most of the candidates revolve primarily around attempting to gain access to the myriad political forums that have been held this election cycle, though a couple of hopefuls have printed actual yard signs.
    Some use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter and others are completely missing in action.
    Most are engaged in a near-constant struggle for attention — some demanding (unsuccessfully) to be included in the majority of mayoral forums that involve only the four top contenders, those who by traditional measurements have a shot to win.

Rhett Rosenquest Smith, who most recently declared he’s a Libertarian but has been a Republican, Democrat and Green Party member in the past;
    Julie Iris Oldham, who has requested to be identified on the ballot only by her moniker, “Mama Bexar;”
    Michael Idrogo, who wants to be known as “Commander,” though it’s unclear what, exactly, he’s ever ruled over;
    and Raymond Zavala, who says his campaign platform is simple — he’s “for the youth, the seniors and the veterans.”
    There’s a handful of newcomers this year as well. They include two candidates who desperately want to be grouped with the top four, and sometimes are at political forums:
    Cynthia Brehm, a Republican, has self-funded a series of campaign signs that appear include a “selfie” photo;
    and Paul Martinez, a U.S. Army combat veteran who tells voters he was “mayor” of a town — in Iraq.
    Brehm, an opponent of the city’s nondiscrimination ordinance, or “NDO,” frequently uses air quotes whenever she mentions “gentrification.” The candidate accuses the city of identifying certain properties in near-downtown neighborhoods and citing their owners with code compliance violations until they’re forced to give up their homes to city officials, who then sell the properties to their friends at cut rates.
    At a recent forum sponsored by the Christian Business Chamber of Commerce, Brehm said she’s for both traditional marriage and traditional analog meters, adding that CPS Energy’s smart-meter technology causes both cancer and house fires.

Martinez, also an impassioned opponent of the NDO, says he believes the long-standing ordinance violates the U.S. Constitution, which he swore in the military to uphold, and would attempt to use city ordinances to make opening Planned Parenthood facilities in San Antonio as difficult as possible.
    Cynthia Cavazos is also trying her hand at campaigning for mayor after naming herself an independent candidate for governor in 2014. Responding to a question at a recent forum about how she would protect the Edwards aquifer, Cavazos responded that the San Antonio Water System pumps out water that has white particles in it and that the utility should either filter the water better or boil it more.
    There’s Gerard Ponce, a former Bexar County employee who has run for county judge twice — losing in the 2010 Democratic primary to Nelson Wolff and in the 2014 Republican primary to Carlton Soules. He also sought the tax assessor-collector seat in 2012.
    Douglas Emmett will also appear on the May 9 ballot. He has not attended a single public forum, though he did create Twitter and Facebook profiles, the former of which promised that a website was coming soon. A Facebook post from Emmett declares that “after a considerable amount of personal reflection, and after conferring with” family, he decided to run for mayor.
    “I cannot promise victory, but I can promise success, and one hell of a ride,” he wrote. However, with nary a single controversial Tweet nor Facebook post, it appears that he’s already reneged on his initial campaign promise.
    And then there’s Pogo Mochello Allen-Reese, one of the more colorful candidates of the brigade.
    A former male stripper who wears camouflage overalls to candidate forums, Reese is typically a crowd favorite at the free-for-all mayoral forums that he attends. And when he’s absent, attendees often wonder aloud, “Where’s Pogo?” Known for keeping a large laminated photo of himself in his stripper, um, outfit, Reese has sent a plethora of emails to the San Antonio Express-News that are as garish as his past.
    In one email, sent to Gov. Greg Abbott’s administration — and copied to local media — he demands action in the Alamo City.
    “Fix this poverty mess in San Antonio. I did not spend a month living on the streets of Kansas City and Des moines IA in MINUS 1 DEGREES to get the run around from a bunch lazy Beaurcrats (sic) in Luxury offices in Austin,” he wrote. “I did NOT SPEND ALMOST 6 HOURS PUTTING THAT HIGH-SPEED RAIL PRESENTATION TOGETHER FOR YALL TO SIT ON YOUR A$$ES and do nothing.”
    He didn’t attend a recent forum held by the Mahncke Park Neighborhood Association, but the event was lively nonetheless. Oldham, who hasn’t attended many of the political forums this year, carpooled with Smith. The two offered rousing applause for Brehm when she told the neighborhood association about the city’s grand conspiracy to take people’s homes.
    When Smith mentioned “rowing” in a comment about Washington, D.C., Oldham broke out into a rendition of “Row Row Row Your Boat,” complete with pantomimed paddling at her seat. Later in the forum, she sang a bit more — snippets from Crystal Blue Persuasion and House of the Rising Sun.
    During her brief introduction, Oldham said, as she typically does, that she has “the dirt” on every elected official in Bexar County and added that she meets regularly with the head of the FBI in San Antonio.
    jbaugh@express-news.net

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Screw it!!! I'm running for Mayor!!!!!:evil:

Why not? This guy is...... SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!

Pogo Mochello Allen-Reese​

10978696_788677191220850_113074433116827320_n.jpg

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Adkisson might be the least left-wing psycho of all the democrat candidates. He's against toll roads, so that's good. Cynthia Brehm seems to be the only conservative, but probably has a zero chance of winning.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Adkisson is the county commissioner for District 4, which if you will remember is where the AT&T Expo Center is located. Recall that the county owns that venue, and doubled the price of parking for the Premier Gun Shows which is why they haven't had an event here for so long. They finally struck a deal but at a cost to the promoters. I emailed Adkisson's office about it and never got a reply, so as far as I am concerned he can "Adkisson my ass" when it comes to his run for mayor!

Honestly, the mayor of San Antonio is just a cheerleader's job; it's the city manager who wields all the power and makes the vital decisions that affect us all. Whereas I was a initially a big fan of Julian Castro (he was a great spokesman for the city), once his true colors and aspirations became known I lost all faith in him.

Hell, I would gladly vote for Greg over all of the current candidates...maybe he should run!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom