• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Can you elaborate on that?

Their RSO's are unreasonably paranoid -- the last time I was there, several of our group got reprimanded for not wearing the mandatory eye-pro, including one not engaged in shooting (it was during a declared cease fire inside one of their private berms) and one person not even on the line. We also go a "Absolutely nothing in your hand during cease fires!" reprimand.... As if a bottle of water or a cigarette lighter are going to suddenly blow somebody away by themselves. Then my elderly/disabled father, after paying his shooter fee and finishing his shooting decided to sit on a bunch to rest, and got told that apparently you are not allowed anywhere on the covered cement shooting platform unless you are actively engaged in shooting -- so, he was forced to sit in the car we backed up to our berm since there was no other place for him to watch out of the sun. Other members on this forum have mentioned having similar issues with one of the staff there, so I don't believe we're all imagining it.

Personally, I've been to Cedar Ridge only thrice, and it looks like it will stay that way for the foreseeable future -- the only time I'd ever contemplate returning is if I were taking a group shooting, in which case their private bays are convenient.
    Texas SOT

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Cedar Ridge does not really have private bays or RSOs???????

Unless you you where shooting on bay #1 which is 100+ yards, but I wouldn't consider it private and there certainly isn't more then one range like that there. Are you sure you are talking about The right range? I have been going to CR for 8 or so years and never had an RSO except myself or another shooter on the same line.

As as far as the "in hand" policy, personally, I agree. When I am down range from your firearm, Half the time with my back turned, I find it common courtesy for others on the line to not be touching or holding anything. But your right, if taking a few steps back and off the shooting pad to drink or smoke is too much to ask, then CR really isn't for you.

Sorry to hear about your father, I'm disabled too, but what does that have to do with how a private property owner uses his property? My apologies if this sounds corse, but, adapt, overcome and plan ahead has always worked for me.
    The active shooter only rule, along with ear/eye pro on the line, where two rules you agreed to follow when you signed the sign in sheet. If you where unaware of the rules you should have asked to read what you where agreeing to.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Cedar Ridge does not really have private bays or RSOs???????

If you have a group shooting with you numbering at least 7 or more, you get a "private" bay, in that it's only for you and your group (at least that's how it was last time I was there), away from the standard single-person party range(s).

Are you sure you are talking about The right range? I have been going to CR for 8 or so years and never had an RSO except myself or another shooter on the same line.

I mis-spoke when I used the term RSO, and for that I do apologize -- the person acting in place of an RSO was one of the people at the counter that did unannounced safety/target stand damage inspections every so often -- they didn't actually sit/stand behind you and supervise like real RSO's do.

As as far as the "in hand" policy, personally, I agree. When I am down range from your firearm, Half the time with my back turned, I find it common courtesy for others on the line to not be touching or holding anything. But your right, if taking a few steps back and off the shooting pad to drink or smoke is too much to ask, then CR really isn't for you.

Your statement previously about being an 8-year regular makes your machinations to defending them pretty transparent -- as I myself have already said, they are indeed NOT for me and I WON'T be returning to give them my business barring extenuating circumstances; you asked for an elaboration, and I provided one. I would like to add I'm not trying to "shame" anyone or I would have ZERO desire to return, circumstances be damned -- I'm just giving the OP my viewpoint; the final decision on how he likes the place will be on him if he goes.

Sorry to hear about your father, I'm disabled too, but what does that have to do with how a private property owner uses his property? My apologies if this sounds corse, but, adapt, overcome and plan ahead has always worked for me.

See the previous answer -- particularly the part about how I agree with you that they're free to require people to do whatever they want on their property, as I'm equally free to not return.

The active shooter only rule, along with ear/eye pro on the line, where two rules you agreed to follow when you signed the sign in sheet. If you where unaware of the rules you should have asked to read what you where agreeing to.

Again, in your hurry to defend them you missed the key distinction I made -- one of our party was NOT on the line at all (and obviously not shooting) when they received their eye-pro reprimand. There is a point where being safety conscious/minded/inclined crosses the line into being unreasonable, and I believe they crossed it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Your statement previously about being an 8-year regular makes your machinations to defending them pretty transparent -- as I myself have already said, they are indeed NOT for me and I WON'T be returning to give them my business barring extenuating circumstances; you asked for an elaboration, and I provided one. I would like to add I'm not trying to "shame" anyone or I would have ZERO desire to return, circumstances be damned -- I'm just giving the OP my viewpoint; the final decision on how he likes the place will be on him if he goes.

So since I don't agree with you, my post is simply a machination??? :laughing:

Pretty transparent of what? Never having similar issues that you had? Then you are right, I have not.
    The mention of going there for 8 years was stated to demonstrate to the OP that perhaps your 3 visits there may not be indicative of others with more experience at that particular range.

Again, in your hurry to defend them you missed the key distinction I made -- one of our party was NOT on the line at all (and obviously not shooting) when they received their eye-pro reprimand. There is a point where being safety conscious/minded/inclined crosses the line into being unreasonable, and I believe they crossed it.

I was in no such hurry, nor was I defending them. If indeed the member of your party was off the line, then my apologies, but again, in the time I have been going to this range, I have never seen management act in said manner when anyone was actually off the pad.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Guys,
    wear safety glasses on the range and don't take them off. Ear pro? Idk unless you're shooting or on the line.

-just my thoughts. I have no authority but I can see from both eyes and I want to keep it that way.

Hfrog355

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Might be headed to Seguin next weekend and would like to get in some shooting. Any ranges near there? I'll be coming from Bryan/College Station, in case I'm passing any.

TattooedGlock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been shooting in SA for 10 years and have shot all over. Cedar Ridge is great for the IDPA and AR shoots, but I'm not fond of it otherwise. A Place to Shoot is ok as is The Bullet Hole. Bexar Community is a dive in my book as is the range behind Rolling Oaks mall. After years and years of shooting in all types of weather I finally sucked it up and joined Nardis and can't be happier. A bit pricey, but if you shoot often it's worth it. Not designed for the long range shooter, but if you're a pistol or AR buff like me than you'll be plenty happy.

TattooedGlock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Curious. What is this place? Do you mean Bracken range?

Yes, I couldn't remember the name. While it is ok for rifle shooting, over the many years I shot there I saw several incidents that left me feeling it wasn't a very safe place. I have found that the masses flock to the cheapest ranges and sometimes that leads to issues.

KBMiii

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    San Antonio
    I went to the Bullet Hole for the first time last Saturday. I got there about 1020 (they open at 1000) and there was a crowd. I was nervous that I would be waiting in a line to shoot. Since this was my first time, I had to get a membership. 15 minutes and $15 dollars (5 for membership and 10 for the range) later I was ready to shoot. Luckily, the majority of the people were shooting long guns and I was able to find an empty spot on the handgun line.

Overall, it was a decent setup. The RSOs had to remind a couple of people of some basic safety rules. They were firm but not rude or disrespectful. The hours are decent and they do not make you buy their own ammo which is a HUGE plus for me.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As far as I know, only some indoor ranges in San Antonio make you buy their ammo (i.e. Texas Thunder); none of the outdoor ranges I am aware of require it.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I went to Bexar Community a couple weeks ago for the first time. It was busy on the skeet range but nearly empty at the handgun range. They just told you the rules and left you alone after that. I liked it and will go back.

I gave a Place to Shoot a try yesterday and was glad I did. Everyone was nice and helpful with any questions you may have. It was busy but plenty of room for everyone there.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I went to Bexar Community a couple weeks ago for the first time. It was busy on the skeet range but nearly empty at the handgun range. They just told you the rules and left you alone after that. I liked it and will go back.

I gave a Place to Shoot a try yesterday and was glad I did. Everyone was nice and helpful with any questions you may have. It was busy but plenty of room for everyone there.

Bexar Community is one of my favorite places to go. The setup is good enough and even without RSO's, I've never had a bad experience there with other shooters (other than my own daughter muzzle flashing me.) Their skeet ranges are good and a good way to embarrass yourself in front of friends. Ask me how I know.

Top Bottom