• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    @OLDVET , thank you for that perspective and I can appreciate that. I'm in my mid-30s and while I certainly enjoy my plastic guns for shooting, I have a real affinity for older firearms. My favorite rifle is my M1.

I've always been fascinated by revolvers and have shot them many times but have never owned one. I figure an N-frame classic S&W would be great to have. I don't plan on buying something that is new or barely used in box, I don't even care if it comes with the box. I want it in decent shape but I plan to shoot it. If it doesn't appreciate in value much, then so be it.
    Military Camp

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    That's my attitude. I have some nice guns, but I don't consider myself a collector. I enjoy shooting what I've got. My 27-2 I got from Bob doesn't get abused, but why have it if you're not going to shoot it? I paid nearly the same for a model 29 and I love shooting it - take it to the range almost every time I go. Why own a Porsche turbo carrera and leave it in the garage? Life's too short.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    That's my attitude. I have some nice guns, but I don't consider myself a collector. I enjoy shooting what I've got. My 27-2 I got from Bob doesn't get abused, but why have it if you're not going to shoot it? I paid nearly the same for a model 29 and I love shooting it - take it to the range almost every time I go. Why own a Porsche turbo carrera and leave it in the garage? Life's too short.

The big regret of my life is not buying your 27-2.
    Bob

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The big regret of my life is not buying your 27-2.
    I didn't buy a Sokolovsky when I had the chance. I consider that a big regret but on my list of life's regrets, it falls somewhere down in the triple digits.

If not buying a nice 27 when you had the chance is "The big regret" of your life, you're the luckiest man I've ever met. :)

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    YOW!
    Sold my 27s years ago. Should of held on to them!
    I have a lowly M28 4" you can have for a measly $1k. LoL!

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You can see why I've been looking at the 28s!

What's funny is that I just grabbed a random auction for a 27-2 5" that looked good to me and put it up there. Didn't even notice it was listed as NIB. I evidently have expensive taste.

Looking a completed auctions, this particular seller has listed several 27-2 5" guns with a buy it now price of $1895 - 1995.

Maybe I need to tweak my expectations a bit lol.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I'll throw in some speedloaders and a Hogue grip!

I'll check in with you in 2-3 years when I have shaken down enough kids at school for their lunch money. Assuming I don't get gun ADD in the interim and buy a .22 handgun or another surplus rifle.

Have you considered founding a wheel gun cult? I'd be a charter member...

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I have 2 versions of the 28-2 in 4" and 6". Both have been great shooters and lots of fun. Neither one has a good finish but I don't care. The only 27 I shot belongs to robertc1024 and that thing is really nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Gotta love the 27. This one is a really nice 5" 27-2 set up like Skeeter Skelton's favorite.
    Bob

xaSN1E0.jpg

Kosh75287

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    M28 only came with 4 or 6 inch barrel. Never heard of a 5.
    We're on the same page. I don't recall S&W ever making a 5" M28. Briefly, I looked into buying an M28 and swapping whatever barrel was on it with a 5" M27 barrel, or a barrel by another manufacturer, which could be contoured to approximate the weight & dimensions of the 5" barrel from S&W. The IDEA was to end up with a 5" barreled M28 that would closely approximate a 5" M27's balance and handling. For the cost of just one such custom firearm, I think I could have bought a 5' M27, and probably an 8 & 3/8" barreled one, also.

Ah, well... Youth....

OIF2, if my memory serves, a 5" M27 very much like that, accompanied Cooper on various of his "South of the Border" & S.W. U.S. hunts. I recall that he pronounced it "deadly effective" on Javelina (which, I think, he also
    declared "tasty" when prepared well).

Last edited:
    Much to my dismay, these older S&W revolvers are actually going down in value...

Dismay?
    Don't dispair.

To me I see them as a marvelous value.

This month I passed on a "great deal" on a couple of Pythons in the $3000 each range and picked up a pristine Model 17 and a gorgeous Model 53, both in the charming original blue boxes I like so much for a fraction of the price!

Buy. Shoot. Enjoy.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Dismay?
    Don't dispair.

To me I see them as a marvelous value.

This month I passed on a "great deal" on a couple of Pythons in the $3000 each range and picked up a pristine Model 17 and a gorgeous Model 53, both in the charming original blue boxes I like so much for a fraction of the price!

Buy. Shoot. Enjoy.

ummmmmm........we're gonna need pics.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Well, it took me a bit but I finally settled on one.

Found a 6" Model 27-2 on GunBroker I couldn't pass up. Guess @OIF2 's advice stuck in my head somewhere. :)

It's finish is worn and marred in spots but that is just fine because I intend to shoot this.

I'm waiting patiently to hear from my FFL now that it is in.

Next step is to figure out what loads I want to run through it.

64E86455-DDC0-4BDF-BE4E-AC20242541BF_1.jpg

Attachments

• 64E86455-DDC0-4BDF-BE4E-AC20242541BF_1.jpg
      64E86455-DDC0-4BDF-BE4E-AC20242541BF_1.jpg
      54.5 KB · Views: 241
    Top Bottom