• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The revolver thread sent me down a rabbit hole last night researching various makes of S&W .357 revolvers.

I am aware of the differences between the 27 and the 28 but considering the premium that the 27 commands these days, is it worth buying over a 28? I'm primarily looking for a shooter in good shape that I would want to keep over the long term. It seems even a 28, especially pinned and recessed, will only continue to appreciate in value.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The M27 was S&W's premium .357 revolver.
    Originally it was available with a 3.5", 5", and 8.3" standard barrel length.
    It could be special ordered with any length barrel.
    Late guns could be had with a 4" barrel.

The M28 was the identical gun mechanically it just wasn't finished out as nicely.
    Somewhere I read it was intended as a working cops weapon.
    The M28 was available with either a 4" or 6" barrel only.

The guns will perform the same.
    I once had a 6" M28 that shot like a laser. Most accurate handgun I ever owned.
    The 4" barrel seems to work for me the best. I like the balance. No, you can not have mine. LoL.

Any P&R'ed S&W will appreciate.
    I'd say go with the 28 because the prices are more realistic.
    After all it is just a six shot .357 revolver.
    That said, if you ever get to handle an early 1950's made "pre-model 27" you will want to sell your children. Beautiful is an understatement.
    It's a shame all the M27's have disappeared into collectors vaults. They're wonderful guns.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Thanks Moon, that's pretty much what I was looking for. Never having handled either, the 28 still seems pretty nice in photos.

I was thinking a 4" model so I will keep looking at the 28s.

That said, if you ever get to handle an early 1950's made "pre-model 27" you will want to sell your children.

There are days I want to do that for a Hi Point. :D

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Sell the children and get the 27. You'll thank me later.
    Bob

DrFzy6g.jpg

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Sell the children and get the 27. You'll thank me later.
    Bob

View attachment 126937

Boy that's nice. I mean it's not like my kids need to go to college right?

Is there a specific version of the Model 27 that is more desirable than others or is pinned and recessed the key?

The 4" barrel seems to be what I'm drawn toward.

Last edited:

Kosh75287

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    The main reason I'd opt for the M27 is because it can be had with a 5' barrel, which seemed (to ME) to make it balance perfectly. I've run probably 200 rounds each, through a 4" & 6" M28, and they shot well enough, but not like the 5" M27. The only .357 revolver with which I have shot better, slow fire, than the 5" M27 was a 6" Colt Python, which was nowhere near as easy to shoot in timed combat strings as the N-frame S&W .357s with any barrel length. Interestingly, the 4" Python shot only slightly better than the 6' variant, and was still short of the N-frame S&Ws when shot under time pressure.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I concur and mine doesn't live in a safe. I usually bring it to the TGT meets. I listened to OIF2's whispering and got it from him.

You're the only person I know who shoots his 27.
    Everybody else has squirrelled them away.
    This makes the Moonpie a sad panda.

A 3.5" is one of my grail guns.

Kosh75287

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    I know a fellow who used a 5" M27 for IDPA and other such activities. THEN,the rule-maker geniuses decided that no revolver with a barrel longer than 4.2" was permissible. I've never heard an explanation for that rule-change, nor the one concerning "reload with retention". Sure would be interested in how the rule-makers reasoned themselves into either of them.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I know a fellow who used a 5" M27 for IDPA and other such activities. THEN,the rule-maker geniuses decided that no revolver with a barrel longer than 4.2" was permissible. I've never heard an explanation for that rule-change, nor the one concerning "reload with retention". Sure would be interested in how the rule-makers reasoned themselves into either of them.

I used to shoot CAS. Had the same issues.
    The rule makers made a new rule because one of the rule makers got butt hurt about something.
    I always loved the rule "no post-1890 firearms" unless you count the Model 1897 Winchester pump shotgun.
    Had a guy bring out an honest to god 1887 Spencer pump shotgun and the rule makers had a hissy fit.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I tried shooting CAS with a pair of LaMats so...yeah, rules are fun.

I don't have a 27 or a 28, but I do have a pre-27 3.5" and a pre-28 4". Both shoot the same, but the -27 sure is better looking. Hunting for a 5" 27 now.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    You're the only person I know who shoots his 27.
    Everybody else has squirrelled them away.
    This makes the Moonpie a sad panda.

A 3.5" is one of my grail guns.

I shoot my 6" 27 regularly. The gun I most regret not buying is a 5" NIB nickle that I let a forum member here have (it was in a collection I was disposing). I told myself another would come along. I definitely screwed up on that caper. And he's very happy.
    Bob

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    There has been a lot of discussion concerning these two revolvers. Let me interject some of my own logic.
    Up until a few months ago I was heavy into collecting older S&W revolvers. I had M27s and M28s, along with various other P/R models. I have kept a pristine 4" M57 (no dash). It is my all time favorite.
    Much to my dismay, these older S&W revolvers are actually going down in value since Trump was elected.
    In years past S&W usually had a price increase every Jan 1st. Not now.
    Any one that collects older revolvers (S&W - Colt, etc) will tell you not to shoot them if you are hoping for the revolver to appreciate in value in the years to come. The more you use one, the less it is worth. A collector wants a firearm that is as close to factory original as possible. That includes the original box, paperwork, and any tools that may have come with the firearm. "Turn lines" from use are a big no-no.
    If you just want something to shoot and have fun, buy something current. If it has the dreaded external "lock" it will never be worth anything, no matter how hard you abuse it.
    Example: I have a couple of M629s. One has the extended barrel shroud. The other has the regular barrel shroud. I paid $729 for each a few years ago. I see them selling for that on GunBroker these days. In used condition they would probably sell for $500 to $550. Both are in very good condition, but they have been fired.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I bought the 6" 27-2 pictured a couple of posts back for $183.00 new back in '73. It's had several thousand rounds thru it since then. It's been back to the factory for a new hand, endshake correction and and a cylinder reblue. It's worth a little more than $183.00 now. Unless it's a primo pre-war registered magnum, shoot and enjoy. I see your point about say, a pre-27, unfired with the box and papers. Probably not a good idea to shoot that one. But there's a ton of 27-2s on the market, at semi-reasonable prices. And as you noted, the market is soft. I think a big part of that is the younger folks want plastic pistols, black rifles or AK clones that shoot tons of cheap ammo. The older guys that like a prewar Colt commercial 1911 or a minty S&W made in 1950 are becoming fewer and are unloading their collections.

Buy what you want and enjoy it. Take care of it and you'll probably get your money back eventually. I've sold a bunch of Colts and S&Ws in the last couple of years and haven't lost anything, money-wise. There's plenty of used N-frames out there. Guns in general are not really a great investment most of the time.
    Bob

Last edited:

Kosh75287

Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    Had it been possible to obtain a S&W M28 with a 5" barrel for less money than a 5" barreled M27, I'd likely own one. I guess I could try for the same thing with a GP-100 or a Security Six, but a 5" barrel may not be as magically balanced for those revolvers as it appears to be with the N-frames.

Top Bottom