Ruger SR22 vs. Walther P22 (.22LR handgun question)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    The slides used in the walther P22 and SIG Mosquito are made out of aluminum zinc. The S&W M&P22 claims Aluminum-Aeospace Alloy. I think has long has the slides on these types of guns uses an aluminum mixed type materials you will continue to see busted guns.
    DK Firearms

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    I did do some more research. Not on forums however. Gun forums are anecdotal and opinions. The only fact is "this happened to me and I was not doing anything wrong. No really those loads I made were not that hot."
    I learned that Walther is no longer the company of Carl Walther. It is the company of Umarex, an Airsoft company. The P22 slide is made out of Zamak, which is a base metal of zinc and alloying elements of aluminium, magnesium, and copper. While zinc alloys are popularly referred to as pot metal or white metal, zamak is held to higher industrial standards. Zamak's zinc content is 99.99% pure. A much higher standard than common pot metal. Never the less I now agree that although the stuff is being used more and more in the gun industry, IMHO This crap should not be used to make guns. The P22 also is made with MIM parts. Like Taurus I don't think anyone really has this method of forging parts worked out. So I admit I was incorrect is my assumtions that the P22 was a great gun, its just very good and too much fun to get rid of. And the number of forum stories I found where the SR22 breaks if you stare at it and even stories about MK??? guns that destroy themselves made me wonder once again if the P22 is getting a bad rap because the internet keeps everything alive forever. Most of what I read does seem to agree that if you abuse a P22 the slide will crack. And that the metal will wear out. Its a shame Walther is not what it once was, as I was considering a P99. Now I'll stick with my old all metal Smith and Wessons.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I also wonder about these failures...how many are a direct result of neglect and failure to keep them cleaned and properly maintained?

I ask this because there is a mindset among .22 owners and shooters that they do not have to be cleaned. I am also guilty of just running a Bore Snake through the barrel and not cleaning my .22 rifles after every trip and today I had a few light pin strikes with my 10-22 custom and a couple of FTF as a result. It has been awhile since I disassembled and cleaned the rifle and this tells me that it is time. However, my P22s are thoroughly cleaned after every trip to the range... I do this partially because they are pistols and not heavy rifles like my Rugers and Stephens, and partially because I am aware of these issues with these Walthers and I want to keep a close watch on the stress points. I do not own a Ruger .22 pistol but I have been fortunate enough to shoot a couple of SR22s and they are fine pistols. But, honestly, I cannot see any significant difference with the materials and construction of these two pistols that makes one superior to the other.

So before going on and on about how much a POS they are, keep in mind that if you are not aware of the user practices and history of a specific weapon then what do you really know? I know about my P22s and I am confident that they are fine handguns and that they both have been very reliable for many years and many rounds down the tube...and, even the rock-solid Colt Government 1911 will fail if you are too lazy to keep it clean. It may shoot 10,000 rounds with no problems and go kaboom on 10,001. If you want a .22 pistol to toss in the bag after each shooting session without ever cleaning it, get an all-steel revolver. If you want a .22 autoloader to be reliable, you have to keep it clean and shoot safe ammo...not Stingers and hyper-velocity stuff...just say'n

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I just bought a SR22 yesterday and have only put 50 or so round through it so far. I took it out to sight in the windage and elevation before bringing it in for a cleaning. I was having some FTF issues with Winchester hollowpoints I had but those went away with some Remington ammo. I'll probably pick up some Federal Blue Box and a few other types of ammo this week to see how they perform. Its a fun little gun to shoot and now I'm considering ordering a threaded barrel for it and a Sparrow (might borrow Cam's first if he'll let me).

firefree

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Crosby
    I'm old school. If I shoot it I clean it within a day. That said my P22 has been flawless. And the treaded barrel leads to lots of bling.
    I'm going to enjoy it until it breaks.

Top Bottom