Ruger SR22 vs. Walther P22 (.22LR handgun question)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    So I've been looking to get a .22LR handgun to plink with and pratice with for when i go to something a bit bigger for self defence (9mm or .38/.45 ACP). I started out looking for a 1911-22 but the only one I found that was getting a lot of good reviews was the Sig/GSG 1911-22 but after talking to a few other 22 enthusiasts like Youtuber 22plinkster he suggest i get the SR22 and a fellow Texan and good friend suggested the P22..I can't decide which one to get though, I've seen a lot of good reviews on both but currently I'm leaning a little more towards the SR22 myself (mostly because I've seen it have less issues than the P22 based on the reviews both written and video) plus it would be a nice match for my Ruger 10/22 that i replaced the stock with a Blackhawk 6-position stock floated and a BSA Red Dot sight for a little more of a "tacti-cool" look.

Any advice on each would be greatly appreciated! Feedback, experience with either gun, ect. all is welcome! wont be getting the gun for another 8 days or so, so i got a little time to decide before i make the purchase.
    Venture Surplus ad

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    @Sugar Land, I can't afford to get one of each since they both run around $350 a piece I don't have the money right now as I'm saving to take a trip out of the states.

@itchin2shoot, I did at one point consider the Ruger MK series pistols but after shooting the MKII I just can't get a good grip on it and i have a little bit of a problem with the sights are.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    The p22 is known for out of battery firing that blows them up. I don't know if the sr22s design would allow it to do the same. Like itchin', I would sooner get a MK series ruger, or a buckmark. If you search the net for blown up p22, I'll bet you find a few.

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    I've considered the MK series I just have a bit of a hard time actually being able to work the sights because of the way their made. I found something about the P22 blowing up but it seems the way the SR22 is made there hasn't been any incidents i can find of the SR22 blowing up which just leans me a little more to the SR22. Plus I'm really looking for something with a tacital look similar to the 9mm that i might be buying from my uncle and the SR22 looks a lot like it except it's a little slimmer than the 9mm is

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I recently picked up a Beretta U22 Neos from a fellow TGT member for $200 for the exact same reasons you listed (to have a plinker for the range). I haven't shot it yet but I am impressed with the quality of this inexpensive pistol. The previous owner did say it is a little picky when it comes to ammo, but most .22 I own are (I have several .22LR rifles). Halfway decent ammo will usually solve the problem.

If you're not in a rush, just keep a lookout on here for private sales. I was wanting a plinker pistol for months, then this opportunity came around. It's worth the wait...

Cheers! M2

srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    I have not tried the P22, but I found the SR22 to be a nice little plinker. As another alternative, have you looked at the M&P 22?

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    I'll definitely look into both the Beretta U22 Neos and the M&P 22. Quick question on both though, how big are they? I have fairly big hands so something like the Taurus Millenium Pro .45 ACP or my dads Ruger short .357 fits quite nicely for my preferred grip but I've had problems with smaller pistols like my dads .38 special is far to small and it's almost impossible to keep a hold on the gun I have to keep adjusting my grip every shot just to stay on target which is a pain when your trying to practice and could prove lethal if your in a self defense situation.

srstaff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Frisco
    Size is one reason I like the M&P22 best out of the 22's I've tried. Its actually pretty much the same size as the duty M&Ps or at least the same size as the 9mm. Though I liked the SR22, it did feel a little small compared to what I typically use, so for myself I prefer the M&P.

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    hmm that's pretty interesting actually, I might run out to the local gun shop and see if they have the M&P 22 and the SR22 and see which one fits better for me..I looked up the Beretta and it looks like it's going to be fairly small and probably hard for me to shoot, after seeing the P22 blow up on someone I'm completely ruling it out as I do not feel like paying the $400 for it just to watch it blow up after a few thousand rounds.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Just to complicate the discussion, I purchased the SIG P229 in 22lr and a few months later, added the conversion to 9mm. It's a little spendy as a package, but it's considerably cheaper than having two different SIG pistols. If you are looking at your uncle's 9mm, then my suggestion doesn't really apply; however, starting with the 22lr SIG and converting it after +-100 rounds to 9mm for a box or so makes good practice sense to me. It's a great pistol in EITHER caliber, even better 'cause it's BOTH !

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    Never thought about doing a conversion up to 9mm that might be a good idea actually, I'll have to look into the price of the conversion kit and the P229 itself but I might actually do that over buying a separate gun instead as It was his carry weapon when he worked at the prison and has probably 7k+ rounds through it so it's getting to the point i'll have to start replacing parts soon which wouldn't be a issue if i bought the P229 and the 9mm conversion kit!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I know you are talking about SA 22s, but I bought one of the cheapie Heritage Arms 22 revolver (cuz I didn't want to pay Ruger $). I paid $100 for it at Academy's big Christmas sale. They are $150 now, or $200 at Cabela's with the 22mag cylinder (mine doesn't have that).

I mainly bought it with the thought of passing it to my son. But I shot it a good bit and found it was really accurate. Its a nice shooter, and a great glove box gun. I hauled it around while hunting this past winter, and enjoyed shooting it. I killed a coon with it from about 25 yards.

Just a thought.

BTW, I have several 22 SA's, but this revolver has really grown on me due to its accuracy.

GRV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    San Antonio
    The m&p22 is just about the same size as the sig/gsg 1911-22. However I do not like the rear sight on the m&p22 and it is $50 more than sig/gsg at academy. The sig/gsg runs 350 n the m&p22 about 399. If you were thinking about the p229 convertion kit as well I have heard that there is a similar kit made for glocks that you can shoot .22lr

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    Only thing I'm not a fan of about .22 revolver's is that they are mostly Single Action instead of Double-Single. If I could find a good Double-Single I wouldn't mind buying it at all because i love revolvers (I shoot my dad's Ruger .357 short more than he does I've put about 1500+ rounds through it just shooting it practicing with it and blowing money when i had it to blow).

I checked out the P229 but I couldn't find one in .22LR only in 9mm with the .22Lr conversion but the cost of the P229 in 9mm is pushing almost a grand and that's money I don't have plus that's not counting the .22LR conversion kit so i'll have to stick to just buying a .22LR for now.

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    I use own a Walther p22. It was a good little pistol, but just way to small for my hands. It just seemed fragile. I would look into a GSG 1911 .22
    Hell I just barely pickuped a Sig Mosquito from a board member and I am already loving it. Good feel and size. So far I have shot 200 rounds with ZERO malfunctions.

ETX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Texarkana
    I would really like to get a 1911 style .22 If i can find the GSG for less than what most of the places around here show them I'll pick it up for sure but right now it's coming down to the Ruger SR22, M&P 22, and the GSG 1911-22.

Only thing I also don't like about the GSG 1911-22 is that the Mag's cost around $35 each and the gun initially only comes with 1 mag so i'll have to spend another $70 on mag's just so I don't have to reload every time i go through 11 rounds (with the GSG magazine butt plate extention NicTaylor has created).

Top Bottom