Join TexasGunTalk

Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by medic_cob, Aug 19, 2014.

1. medic_cob

medic_cob Member

Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Been awhile since I posted. So I just traded my Savage 22-250 and a little cash for a pretty much brand new Ruger Mini 14 Target. I have had my eye on Mini 14s for a while now and finally found one I liked. The target model is only chambered in .223 unlike the other mini 14s which also accept 5.56 but that is fine with me, as I really don't care to shoot surplus or super cheap ammo in my nice guns anyway plus there is plenty of quality .223 ammo out there. The rifle has a leupold vx2 4-12x40 AO scope on it. I was out at the range today with it for the first time and tried to sight it in with cheap monarch 55gr fmj that I had on hand that I let my son shoot through his single shot rifle. As I said before I don't like cheap stuff and this performed horribly. 4 inch groups at 100 yds, good enough for government work but not for me. I let the barrel cool, cleaned it, and switched to Federal Gold Match 69gr BTHP. Instant improvement after a little sight adjust I was soon shooting 1 inch groups at 100 yds. I am sure that with a little adjustment of the damper on the barrel and more practice I can pull that in tighter. Just for the fun of it I ran a target out to 300 yds and took a few shots. I used the ballistics on the box as a guide for hold over, said 13.3 inches at 300 yds. Unfortunately I forgot to take into effect the wind, bullets moved right about 4-5inches and actual drop was 15-16 inches. My 5 shot group was 2 inches in diameter at 300 yds so I would say the rifles is accurate. Rounds are traveling a little slower than advertised on box, probably due to rifle having 22 inch barrel and test gun from factory using a 24. I am going to take out my chronograph next time to see actual velocity. I'm betting around 2750, then I can get a better idea using ballistics calculator how much hold over I need.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Cool.
    I didn't know ruger made a mini14 target model.

3. medic_cob

medic_cob Member

Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Yeah, its got a thicker 22 inch barrel with a damper that is adjustable to the ammo you are shooting, a nice laminated ambidextrous thumbhole/pistol grip stock, and factory rings. Whole thing is in stainless steel, beautiful gun. Shoots really nice.
    tgt_pics1582222.jpg

4. Vaquero

Vaquero San Saba Songbird

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    Is the "damper" a "boss"? (Balistic optimised shooting system"?

Browning developed it in the '80s.
    Winchester bought the rights and put it on a few rifles.
    Reviews were impressive.

I've not seen a rifle with one personally.

5. medic_cob

medic_cob Member

Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Yeah, its something real similar to the BOSS system browning has. Its basically a weight at the end of the barrel that can be threaded back and forth to adjust foe the different vibrations of the barrel using different ammo. Keeps the barrel center mass for your chosen ammo allowing you to be more accurate.

6. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've got a Winchester Model 70 with the Boss harmonic dampener on it. Takes some patience to set up.

That Garand-style action is extremely reliable and tough. Bill Ruger made a huge mistake trying to keep the Mini-14 as a "not-black-rifle" to try to appease the anti-gun crowd. With just a few changes, it would be a strong contender against the AR and AK stuff. A heavier barrel is a great start. If they changed the dimensions on the mags so they could use AR mags, that would improve things a lot as well.

7. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    the terms "mini 14" and "target" just don't seem to go together.

I've seen one of them, it looks like a good gun, but I've seen too many Minis that were Minute of Pie Plate at 100 yards

8. General Zod

General Zod TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Looks like you have a pretty good setup. Be picky with your magazines if you decide to add to what you've got. I have an older Mini-14 that'll eat from just about any mag, but they (especially the newer ones) can be finicky. Ruger factory mags are both the best choice and the most expensive way to go.

9. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

I've always thought Mini 14s and accuracy were oxymorons. I've wondered about these but still not over my old biases.

10. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Saw a fella at the range with one identical to the op's going crazy trying to do better than 2" with everything from factory loads to handloads.