Join TexasGunTalk

Ruger Mini 14 Target Rifle

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by medic_cob, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    If the "tuner" (harmonic balancer) is working properly, it still might take a while to get it in sync with your gun barrel but one would have to stick with one brand of ammo and the same bullet weight for it to be anywhere near consistent. Hand loading will do the same thing. Find the load your barrel likes and stick with that load. The beauty of a harmonic balancer is that you can find the sweet spot for a load, note the setting and then find the sweet spot for different load and dial-in loads based on previous experimentation (assuming everything is working correctly)! I you start out close up (50 yds. or so) it makes it easier to tune it and then progress out to longer distances. Theoretically, the scope will only tell you where your group will hit, not necessarily close up your group (if the shooter does a good job).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  2. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I started loading for my AR several years ago (no harmonic balancer) and using the same bullet (same profile, same weight, etc.) loaded several loads at .2 gr. increments. When finally tested at 100 yds., groups went from about 1 3/4" down to 7/16" and then back up to about 1 1/4". The load my carbine liked best was with 26.1 grs. of Varget. (I loaded 9 rounds each of 25.5 grs., 25.7 grs, 25.9 grs., 26.1 grs., 26.3 grns., etc.) Obviously it loved the 26.1 best of all! I'm content with that!

3. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Basically a ocw test. I do ladder test typically unless I know a general velocity/charge area a rifle likes.

That being said there are a lot of Browning and Winchester guns that had the dampner cut off with exceptional results.

4. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Off or on, the right ammo (or load if you're a hand loader) will produce the best results.
    Dampner (harmonic balancer) is probably the easiest way to find the right load if one doesn't hand load, tedious initially but once the sweet spot is found for a certain ammo, the guess work is (should be) over. Just keep tuning it until you get there. I enjoy hand loading so I don't mess with the harmonic balancer.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  5. medic_cob

medic_cob Member

Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Sorry I have been missing out on all the reply action. Was at school. I also handload, but am not set up for .223 yet. I figure if I can get 1 moa on a windy day with factory ammo with out messing with the damper then I should be able to shrink my groups nicely on a good using the damper. Once I start handloading for it I should be able to get some pretty awesome groups.

6. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I would agree with you wholeheartedly! I have a friend that has a harmonic balancer that clamps on. He's used it in the past (but not lately) and says it works great.

7. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I'd advise setting the harmonic balancer at the center of it's settings, then shoot some of the hand loads you like (or want to use) and start tuning it (up or down) until you find it's best setting. Good luck!

8. medic_cob

medic_cob Member

Apr 20, 2014
    San Antonio
    Yeah, that's what I figured on doing. I kind of liked the way the federals grouped right of the bat. Once I start loading I will probably stick to the same 69gr Match Kings and try to get a little extra velocity out of them. Anybody got a good recommendation for powder. I already have RL15 on hand.

9. dee

dee Well-Known

Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Rl15 and Varget are prime candidates for heavy pills.

10. Charlie

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I only use Varget these days. I'm sure there are some other good powders but if I can get a 7/16" group at 100 yds. with my old eyes, I better stick with it!