• ...and so much more!
  • Radarscratch

I void warranties.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Westminster
    I am looking to pick up a 10/22. Ruger has several models to choose from, but I need a little advice on which one. Is there really a difference in quality, fit, finish, accuracy in thesr models? Which one is the best option for later modification to ar platforms etc..

Thanks,

oh I did soke searching around and didnt really find my answers, although I could just be Google impaired.
    Target Sports

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I would get the basic model and accessorize as desired. The takedown is nice, but the basic model works fine for my needs. I added a cheap scope and the thing is great at 100 yds for punching holes in paper.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Buy the cheapest one you can find. The stock is the biggest need to go part.

The barracuda stock, with a stock action, add on trigger job. And you can play golf with it. 5# rifle is easy. thats with an optic.

Ruger finally pulled their head out their rear and now make a 25rd mag. With a good mag, a 10/22 is a sewing machine.

The after market trigger parts are Wow.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Their target models have a decent heavy barrel, you may even be able to get one with a hogue stock on it from the factory, they are a great value for the $ spent. Any knowledgeable 10/22 lover can work a stock trigger down to as light as you want it. I have bulit several and really enjoy doing it. I prefer to run buffers, auto bolt realeases, nordic or tactical solutions mag release, properly headspace the bolt face, and install a quality extractor and barrel. You can go all-out and just buy a kidd or volquartsen rifle. You have to decide whether you want to build a fun gun that runs cheap ammo well, or a match rifle that will be more sensitive to running dirty or may not feed stingers or a few other ammo types well. It's all in the chamber, match, bentz or sporter. These things have so many good options out there, it eventually becomes about style as well as function when you build them. Almost too many options to even list here.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    I just had a .22 built for my 14 year old daughter.... PWS T3 Summit action, Tactical Solutions barrel, Hogue stock, Ruger Bi-pod, 4x16x50 glass.
    She can shoot the nutz off a gnat with it! ;)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Yep, three thoughts. Buy basic and upgrade over time if wanted or buy a target model or better a used one that has the upgrades you want.

Used that has the upgrades you want will save you $$.

ruger.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    This is what can be done to the fat factory stock:

Don't let her fool you. Lots of handwork on the inside. The factory stock has a buttload of extra wood. Orbital sander with 80grit to any shape you can get away with.

Free floated, Bedded with epoxy putty. Pillar bed also. -2" groups at 135yards was easy. Bulk ammo.

307890_146999248721513_5992957_n.jpg

This how you can make it one hell of a hunter:

Same cleaned up action as above. This rifle was stolen from me. While I had her. She had 15 gray fox, lost count of cottontail, plus stuff.

The last mods she got was that forearm was cut down. A small rail mounted in a level dug out on the FA. A grip/light was hung. Pressure switch to die for. The grip and other places was stippled, with a small dremel bit.

Rail sight base. Mount the meanest glass you can buy. I used a CompM4. I'd sight it in, looking through bino's, through the red dot. At 66Yards. Winchester Bulk is all I used. Clean burning.

I made shots on flying critters, in cedar cover. 30yards up. Dead with one round.

Rabbits simply didn't have a chance. Within 2 seconds, after seeing the low brown glow of a rabbits eyes. He was hit. Iam saying 2 seconds so not to brag. Sight acquisition with a good red dot is sometimes, just too damn easy.

The stock is just one of the many Barracuda style stock. Bright Blue laminate under the rattle can and air brush.

Notice the screw in both rifle's trigger guard. Both have extra market hammer and sears. That require "bushings" to be made to center the hammer. Come in a clear bag at Cabelas.

Just enough take up, no overtravel. The rifle does the rest.

311315_146997092055062_6133036_n.jpg

Last edited:

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    That's like asking "what kind of car should I get?" It depends on what you want to do with it. You can't go wrong with the basic model and upgrade as you get better at shooting it.

The trigger is the first thing that needs to be upgraded.

Radarscratch

I void warranties.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Westminster
    Thanks for the input all. I just want sure if the there was a marked difference between models

Sent from my own insanity via Tapatalk

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

Radarscratch

I void warranties.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Westminster
    Yes, I've been over the Ruger site a few times. The biggest issue I had was if there was any particular one had a better trigger, or barrel etc. out of the box.

I like the idea of just getting the cheapest, then letting the son mod the heck out of it.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    You could get the target model. The trigger is going to suck in all of them, but if you wanted to upgrade the barrel the target stock wouldn't need much work to make it fit.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Personally if I were you, I'd hit the pawn shops for a basic used one to save a few bucks. Really all you need is tje receiver depending on how deep you want to dive in. The new 10/22s have the barrel screwed into the receiver whereas the older ones use a vblock design and have morebarrel choices.

Rimfirecentral is a great place to use the search button but I'd advise against posting. Its worse than some of the AR forums.

SmithandWesson69

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Just get the standard model and dress it up, I bought the standard model for my 10 year old son and added the following:

Blackhawk Axiom stock
    Centerpoint 4-16x40 scope
    UTG Sniper bipod
    Ruger BX25 magazine

He's already put about 700 rounds through it and loves it.

Mike
    ejytazaq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom