• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Looking for some input. I'd like to pick up an AK and not break the bank. I see them on classicarms.us for $379-400, which is my price range. Specifically looking at the Romanian AK MV tactical, around $400 plus shipping with 4 mags and little things.

I hear the quality of the AK's out now has gone up a little bit, but is there still a good chance i'll get one with mag wobble? That's my only concern really, i'll get a rail/scope going and zero it in from there.

But ANY opinions/input about the WASR would be appreciated
    DK Firearms

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I have a 1975 WASR and haven't had any problems with it. I traded at a gun show for it a couple months ago. I added some things I wanted on it and I really like it.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Wasr's can have wobbly mags, but usually function fine. Other things to look for are canted sights and gas blocks.
    Perfect starter AK; everyone should have one or three.
    With regards to Classic Arm's offerings though, please skip the "Tactical" with its Crap-co M4 stock. Get something with a wood stock.
    For $70 more the Yugo M70 underfolder is an attractive option without all the wasr baggage.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Wasr's can have wobbly mags, but usually function fine. Other things to look for are canted sights and gas blocks.
    Perfect starter AK; everyone should have one or three.
    With regards to Classic Arm's offerings though, please skip the "Tactical" with its Crap-co M4 stock. Get something with a wood stock.
    For $70 more the Yugo M70 underfolder is an attractive option without all the wasr baggage.

How does the Yugo compare to the WASR? Also, is the Tapco stock all that bad? I know I handled an AR22 today that felt like a piece of junk...

M8_Carry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Garland, TX
    I bought one about 3 years ago, just to have a cheap AK. It is pretty rough but functions well. Some have a better magazine fit than others, try to pick a good one if the seller has a few to choose from.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    jsut a thought, but cant you solve mag wobble by fiddling with the mags themselves?
    or ebtter yet jsut getting a higher end mag. ive vbeen looking at this same rifle, and that was miy idea on it. dont own one yet though so *shrug*

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I would get a Saiga and convert it. You'll get 10x's the rifle for the same initial cost.
    I agree... Saigas will shoot 2-3MOA groups and that's darn good for an AK. Plus they are actually new guns, not "new" as in newly built from a parts kit at Century International.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    From what I heard if you use the tapco mags it solves the mag wobble problem. The quality control has gone up at century, not much but it has gone up.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have the Romanian MV with the wood stock and it came with 2 Tapco 30 rd mags.
    the Tapco mags perform very well,I also got 3 hungarian 20 rd steel mags from Aim that
    also work great and am ordering 3 more from them.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    You can't fix a wasr mag-wobble by fiddling with the magazine. You can build up the inside of the mag well; that's about it. Usually no need as it takes a lot of wobble to cause it to be unreliable. Some folks have had good luck with Tapco magazines but, with genuine commie steel mags still so cheap...why? Better polymer mags are the US Palm or Bulgarian Circle 10 if you've got to have polymer to save the weight.
    The Yugo M70 is probably a safer bet than the wasr. The Yugo will probably be slightly better finished overall and it has a heavier and thicker receiver that was meant for hi-cap mags. And underfolding AK's make sissy-liberals cringe.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    WASRs have also had some trigger issues which can be fixed. But I will also agree that the Yugo is a better choice, I have an M70AB2 underfold that is solid and a blast to shoot! Prices are coming down, so be patient and you may find one at a great price!

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    You can't fix a wasr mag-wobble by fiddling with the magazine. You can build up the inside of the mag well; that's about it. Usually no need as it takes a lot of wobble to cause it to be unreliable. Some folks have had good luck with Tapco magazines but, with genuine commie steel mags still so cheap...why? Better polymer mags are the US Palm or Bulgarian Circle 10 if you've got to have polymer to save the weight.
    The Yugo M70 is probably a safer bet than the wasr. The Yugo will probably be slightly better finished overall and it has a heavier and thicker receiver that was meant for hi-cap mags. And underfolding AK's make sissy-liberals cringe.

Hahaha no joke about the underfold. People will think i'm a terrorist.

I'm going to order one and see what happens. I figure I can re-sell it anyway. AK's seem to sell fairly decent in SA.

The WASR has the G2 trigger I believe

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Do the Yugo AK's have a chrome lined barrell? If not would it cause any problems down the road if you have been shooting a lot of ammo through it?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Do the Yugo AK's have a chrome lined barrell? If not would it cause any problems down the road if you have been shooting a lot of ammo through it?

Nah, the round isn't very fast. You're talking a solid 30,000+ round barrel life with a non-lined barrel.

Lined barrels tend to be less accurate anyways, due to the fact that adding any coating after the rifling has been cut is prone to subtracting from the uniformity of the bore.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    yugos do not have chrome lined barrels...not if they're original barrels especially. notice the yugo sks rifles arent chrome lined either. i like chrome lined barrels,easier to clean and they resist corrosive salts from milsurp ammo...you lose a small bit of accuracy but they are good.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    I don't own a WASR10 but one of my friends does and that thing is 100% reliable. That thing will digest any 7.62x39 you can get in the magazine. It does have some magazine wobble but still functions fine. The only other issue is the trigger will smack your finger after firing.
    BTW I prefer a TGI AMD-65, have 2 they are great guns.

2rowdy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Texas
    Didn't know there was such a thing as any ak variant without mag wobble. Would scare me if it didn't. I purchased a Yugo underfolder in Nov. and it is a great gun. I have one tapco mag. 3 metal mags can't remember the origin.

Top Bottom