Lynx Defense

Review: Eagle Gun Range; Lewisville, TX (new)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    Hi all. Went to the brand spanking new facility (indoor) in Lewsiville today, the Eagle Gun Range at 491 Valley Ridge Blvd. They've only been open about two weeks, if that. The staff was incredibly nice, and I was pleasantly surprised to see a familiar face: Howard from the Garland range. I don't know his last name, but anyone who's gone to the Garland range in the last few years knows him. He also gives private instruction, which I plan to utilize so he can show me how to handle my shotgun..

The only other experience I've had with an indoor range is The Bullet Trap in Plano; otherwise I shoot at the outdoor range in Garland. What I can say is that the front area is nice and the shooting area is very clean and spacious. There is a lot of depth behind the line to move around, and there is a range officer back there at all times, changing out in shifts every half hour or so. The shooting benches are lower than what I'm used to, by at least a foot. This is noticeable for me because I'm only 5'1". I found it very comfortable. The sides of the lanes are some kind of super solid polymer construction, going all the way up so that hot casings not your own don't come raining down on your head (another big thing for me, given my height, or lack thereof!), and it also seemed to help with sound. It is climate controlled and the air is filtered and rotated, so it feels fresh. No gunsmokey smell (although I don't mind that, really) and it's almost like shooting outside in the fresh air.

Pricing for non-members is $20 per lane, all day. For two shooters in the same lane, the second shooter gets $5 off so it's $35 total for two shooters sharing a lane. They have memberships that seem like a good deal, too. All in all a very positive experience and I will definitely go back. Link to their website: Eagle Gun Range

- Keri
    DK Firearms

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    thanks for this - i've been wondering about it and how it compares to the bullet trap

I went during their soft opening 2 weeks ago and it's a great place. Incredibly well lit and ventilated. Lots of space in the range too with an on duty range officer at the firing lanes

this might be the first range I buy a membership at, should have done it months ago when it was cheaper

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Sheesh, $20 is kinda overpriced. Do they allow you to shoot NFA items, shotguns or rifles?

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    just came back from this range, and aside from the price - i have to agree that is hands down better than anything in town

the front counter is a bit of a zoo but thats only because they were busy - they were still pretty efficient moving people on and off the range

inside - VERY nice - very spacious, good air flow (i.e. not stifling hot like the Bullet Trap or DFW Gun Range) - they have a 50% off rate for veterans between Monday and Thursday - so i'll be using that as much as i can!

i saw people in there with rifles, not sure how that works, but did see the notice that shotguns were slugs only (no birdshot)

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    just came back from this range, and aside from the price - i have to agree that is hands down better than anything in town

the front counter is a bit of a zoo but thats only because they were busy - they were still pretty efficient moving people on and off the range

inside - VERY nice - very spacious, good air flow (i.e. not stifling hot like the Bullet Trap or DFW Gun Range) - they have a 50% off rate for veterans between Monday and Thursday - so i'll be using that as much as i can!

i saw people in there with rifles, not sure how that works, but did see the notice that shotguns were slugs only (no birdshot)

I think I might buy a membership I went right after they opened and loved it, tons of space and well lit.
    as far as rifles they say anything smaller than 50cal

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We went a week ago and had a great time. Awesome range and the customer service was excellent and very professional. Good prices on ammo and they had it in stock. One thing about the range that hasn't been mentioned is the hangers. They have it where you are not hamstrung to buy their targets. The hangers have clips that allow you to hang different width targets even if you bring your own. If they keep this going they have earned my business for sure.

JoeB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Grapevine
    this place was real nice and good customer service... It was busy at 10:15 am this morning... 1 free target and %50 off for us veterans mon. through thurs. Although I has ammo It looked like the price was about average... $20 seems a little high but over all its worth it.... I will be heading back next weekend so the wife can get use the P95....

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    We went a week ago and had a great time. Awesome range and the customer service was excellent and very professional. Good prices on ammo and they had it in stock. One thing about the range that hasn't been mentioned is the hangers. They have it where you are not hamstrung to buy their targets. The hangers have clips that allow you to hang different width targets even if you bring your own. If they keep this going they have earned my business for sure.

the RO pointed out to me a spot to hang your spare targets off to the side too

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    the RO pointed out to me a spot to hang your spare targets off to the side too

I forgot that part. Nice feature BUT the magnetic clips can only attach to the very top of the wall. My SO is too short to unclip them LOL !

huntindog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    DFW
    These guys are great. Very helpful and friendly. Nice, clean facility. The $20 is all you can shoot, all day. Shoot, go to lunch, come back and shoot some more, shoot the sh!t with the staff, shoot some more, etc. They always have a steady flow of traffic, but are well staffed and never seem too busy.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I have been here twice, and seeing as I'm a low-disposable-income fellow, I did not appreciate their brass pickup policy. It is a nice facility, with a nice target retrieval thingamabob, but not letting me pick up .45Auto brass from the guy in the next lane over is pretty retarded. For a 20 minute drive over to Quail Creek, for a $16 range fee, or a 15 minute drive over to Bass Pro Shops, for a $15 range fee, and all the brass I can carry out, as opposed to $20 and having the brass Stalin keeping me down, I'll take Quail Creek or Bass Pro from now on.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I have been here twice, and seeing as I'm a low-disposable-income fellow, I did not appreciate their brass pickup policy. It is a nice facility, with a nice target retrieval thingamabob, but not letting me pick up .45Auto brass from the guy in the next lane over is pretty retarded. For a 20 minute drive over to Quail Creek, for a $16 range fee, or a 15 minute drive over to Bass Pro Shops, for a $15 range fee, and all the brass I can carry out, as opposed to $20 and having the brass Stalin keeping me down, I'll take Quail Creek or Bass Pro from now on.

Bass Pro raised their range fees again? Last time I went, it was still $12.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

It is not unreasonable for them to restrict you to only collecting your own brass. Discarded brass is a revenue source for ranges. It is not YOUR brass, nor YOUR place from which to take it.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Any ammo limitations? ie can you use your own or do you have to purchase theirs?

you can buy two boxes of whatever you are shooting - but you have to buy it before

i went in there and went thru 200 rounds of .40 and tried to buy 2 boxes on the way out - and they wouldnt let me......stupid. i could have bought it on the way in and walked out with it just the same

Top Bottom