• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What are your primary features for an EDC folding knife when considering a purchase?

• Blade steel quality (e.g. AUS-8, D2, S35VN, M390)

• Blade shape (e.g. drop point, tanto, wharncliffe)

• Blade size (length or width)

• Blade thickness

• Blade finish/treatment (e.g. polished, stone wash, DLC finish)

• Handle(scales) material type (e.g. G10, Micarta, metal)

• Handle material color

• Pocket clip type (e.g. deep carry)

• Brand name

• Pivot bearings instead of washer

Results are only viewable after voting.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Was working out of town years ago and went to dinner at a steak house. Server forgot to bring steak knives. Waited for a minute or so and both myself and my buddy used our pocket knives. Sever came back by later and saw what we were doing, apologized profusely and was going to get us knives. Told her not to worry about it at this point!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The thing I probably cut mostly is wire ties or zip ties, whatever way you want to call them. I don't really know why. It's not like the welding field has an over abundance of wire ties, it just seems that mostly what I remember cutting is wire ties. Now I know wire cutters are best for that, but who goes looking for wire cutters when you have a knife at reach?

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Lock type is most important to me. I will not buy a liner lock at this point. Don't really like back locks but on occasion I'll buy them.
    Made in US is preferred but will go Europe or Japan if I have to.
    I will not buy a knife made in China

Steel is a weird one. It has to be easy enough to sharpen. M390 is a great steel but it's kind of a bitch to get back sharp after heavy use. S90v has always been chippy for me.

If they cost less than 100 bucks it kind of makes me nervous.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Lock type is most important to me. I will not buy a liner lock at this point. Don't really like back locks but on occasion I'll buy them.
    Made in US is preferred but will go Europe or Japan if I have to.
    I will not buy a knife made in China

Steel is a weird one. It has to be easy enough to sharpen. M390 is a great steel but it's kind of a bitch to get back sharp after heavy use. S90v has always been chippy for me.

If they cost less than 100 bucks it kind of makes me nervous.
    Mine has S35VN steel. Edge retention is excellent.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Durability, size, weight, edge retention...

Country of manufacture.

Its a knife. Its a utilitarian object that will live most of its life in a pocket, only used to cut open boxes, weed whacker line, or maybe pick out a splinter.

Knife people are wierd. Like REALLY wierd.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Decent function with low cost. Sucks to lose 300 bucks repeatedly.

Kershaw assisted opening knives. Fit the bill
    Just stop losing them
    Problem solved

But we've all lost a knife at one point probably
    It happens

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I usually find them years later.

Well except for my glasses, I usually find them when I look in the mirror and see them on my head.
    I bought a new Anza knife last year..
    Put a post on here of it
    Used it to skin a deer in December and haven't seen it since...
    Glad that one was only $65

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Decent function with low cost. Sucks to lose 300 bucks repeatedly.

Kershaw assisted opening knives. Fit the bill

This. Pretty much exactly this.

I've been more careful / lucky that I've held onto my current knives, flashlight, and multitool for going on 2 years. I've misplaced my primary knife once or twice, but found it in that term.

I've lost countless multitools and flash lights and knives over the years, mostly while working.

Kershaw assisted openers are my go-to knives now. The Cryo II (I'm on my 2nd, because my original one was lost - I've had my current knife since Christmas of 2019) is my primary knife, the Leek is my go to backup.

I've got a bunch of other folders but don't carry or use them often because of either how the pocket clip is arranged, or how the handle fits my hand. Some are just clunky. I also appreciate the assisted open function versus a plain flipper or thumb stud.

I'd love a genuine Rick Hinderer knife like the Cryo was modelled from, but I would lose that shit in a heart beat I'm sure.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    This. Pretty much exactly this.

I've been more careful / lucky that I've held onto my current knives, flashlight, and multitool for going on 2 years. I've misplaced my primary knife once or twice, but found it in that term.

I've lost countless multitools and flash lights and knives over the years, mostly while working.

Kershaw assisted openers are my go-to knives now. The Cryo II (I'm on my 2nd, because my original one was lost - I've had my current knife since Christmas of 2019) is my primary knife, the Leek is my go to backup.

I've got a bunch of other folders but don't carry or use them often because of either how the pocket clip is arranged, or how the handle fits my hand. Some are just clunky. I also appreciate the assisted open function versus a plain flipper or thumb stud.

I'd love a genuine Rick Hinderer knife like the Cryo was modelled from, but I would lose that shit in a heart beat I'm sure.
    I still have a couple Kershaws, and they both are good knives, but they were a bit bulky, heavy and don't keep an edge anywhere near as well as my ZT.

*Yes, I know Zero Tolerance is a division of Kershaw which is owned by Kai USA Ltd (Japan), Still made in the USA even if though it's close to one of the most leftist cities in the nation*

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I still have a couple Kershaws, and they both are good knives. but they were a bit bulky, heavy and don't keep an edge anywhere near as well as my ZT.

*Yes, I know Zero Tolerance is a division of Kershaw which is owned by Kai USA Ltd (Japan), Still made in the USA even if though it's close to one of the most leftist cities in the nation*

Yeah, Kershaw was just two towns over from where we moved from. They're in Tualatin - which made it great when my replacement Cryo had the spring bust. I drove to the factory/HQ and they fixed it on the spot, and sharpened the blade. They offer free sharpening for any Kershaw customer, which was also cool.

Every year around Christmas they also run a sale on clearance / closeout items, dudes line up around the block for that. They sell stuff for 1/3 of retail cost.

Leatherman is IN Portland, and they stepped on their own dick a time or two but it was also nice going to Leatherman and having them fix or replace broken tools. I'm hard on my tools and I've broken a few Leatherman's.

Gerber was between Leatherman and Kershaw, in Tigard, again, was nice to have their HQ right there for service issues.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Yeah, Kershaw was just two towns over from where we moved from. They're in Tualatin - which made it great when my replacement Cryo had the spring bust. I drove to the factory/HQ and they fixed it on the spot, and sharpened the blade. They offer free sharpening for any Kershaw customer, which was also cool.

Every year around Christmas they also run a sale on clearance / closeout items, dudes line up around the block for that. They sell stuff for 1/3 of retail cost.

Leatherman is IN Portland, and they stepped on their own dick a time or two but it was also nice going to Leatherman and having them fix or replace broken tools. I'm hard on my tools and I've broken a few Leatherman's.

Gerber was between Leatherman and Kershaw, in Tigard, again, was nice to have their HQ right there for service issues.
    Yeah, I used in Beaverton near all of them. I used to have several Gerber Knives, but only kept one when I left on my Harley, which was then always on my belt.

jlevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2022
    I use mine for food prep, trimming wood (and getting excess glue off wood) and a ton of other stuff. For zip ties I use diagonal cutters. Here's what I look for:
    1. I found a 3.25" blade is about perfect for my uses. Any shorter and food gets in the pivot area.
    2. I really like CPM-3V and make my fixed blades and axes from it, but I don't make folders and CPM-3V is not a common steel in a folder. S30V and S35VN are both excellent all round steels for my uses and they're stainless. M390 (similar to 20CV) is also nice, ZDP-189 can be tricky to sharpen, even with diamond stones. 8cr13mov is a Chinese steel that's not bad for a cheaper steel.
    3. IMO, Kershaw is an excellent value (under $100 for a knife with good steel). Spyderco is no longer a good value and I don't like the way the finger choil in many of their designs wastes a good 1/2 inch if blade length.
    4. I always use diamond sharpening stones so I never really have issues (except for the ZDP-189 mentioned above).

Dimonback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Austin
    SOG Every day. Decent steel, edge holding, and cost. Best bet is the Twitch Large, or if you can find one, a Topo Meridian (discontinued, but a great EDC).

Top Bottom