• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Men, I want to update and replace my full size Sig Tac-op 1911 with a double stack 2011 with optic. I like a heavy gun due to recoil and a want to try a red dot as my eyes are not that good anymore. Just want an accurate straight-shooting gun I can shoot 5 to 20 yards with. What would the group recommend. May consider a striker fired but never shot/owned a poly or striker fire weapon.
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
      IMG_0396.jpg
      340 KB · Views: 87

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    Men, I want to update and replace my full size Sig Tac-op 1911 with a double stack 2011 with optic. I like a heavy gun due to recoil and a want to try a red dot as my eyes are not that good anymore. Just want an accurate straight-shooting gun I can shoot 5 to 20 yards with. What would the group recommend. May consider a striker fired but never shot/owned a poly or striker fire weapon.
    Do you want DA/SA OR SAO?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    If you want the extra weight in a striker fire there's only 1 real option.... the Sig 320 Legions have tungsten infused lower grips that add the extra weight you seek. They have a rail & cut out for red dot. The slide on them are like butter, smooth & easy to rack back.

Even better:

The Sig 320 offers METAL grip modules - Sig has them, and IIRC there are aftermarket versions as well

Walther also has their Q5 - which is a metal framed version of the PPQ which has one of the best factory striker triggers on the market. A 1911 guy would no doubt appreciate the trigger on the Q5, or the PPQ, or the newest iteration, the PDP. The Q5 and the PDP both come optic ready.

You can also get metal frames for Glocks from Lonewolf. Supposedly just going to a metal frame helps the stock Glock trigger pull a lot. Never tried it myself.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    If you want the extra weight in a striker fire there's only 1 real option.... the Sig 320 Legions have tungsten infused lower grips that add the extra weight you seek. They have a rail & cut out for red dot. The slide on them are like butter, smooth & easy to rack back.
    The AXG p320's have metal grip modules. To me they make it a better balanced pistol. I have the classic model. They are $$$ though.
    20220220_143430~2.jpg

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    I think we're presuming you intend to switch to 9mm? Your TacOps is in .45, right? Sig P320 was suggested. You don't need to buy a Legion out of the box. Sig sells the fire control groups separately and you can build your pistol with the tungsten-infused ploymer grip module or an AXG grip module, whatever length slide/barrel you want, and even get the red dots factory installed. My P320 full-size with the heavy grip module, and sig Romeo 1 Pro has been absolutely reliable and is very mild with recoil due to weight.

You mentioned a possible preference for a 2011. If you want to stay with the 1911 trigger/controls you're used to, but want double stack 9mm capacity, 2011 is great. Staccato P DPO would fit your bill, but that bill would be a LOT higher (grin). I think it would also be a shame to just keep that pistol for your bedside weapon.

As mentioned, CZ would be another heavy option. All of these would be dead on accurate (at even well beyond the 20 yds you mention), reliable, and have the higher capacity of double stack magazines. Only the 2011 (among these) would sport the 1911 like trigger you're used to. The trigger on the CPS (if DA/SA) is much heavier on first pull and is cantilevered (unlike 1911s) so it feels different. The P320 trigger is also cantilevered, but the wall is at the vertical point. You can tune those triggers to be very crisp (though still feels different than 1911 triggers).

Recommend laying your hands on some of these options, and ideally, shooting them for a couple of dozen rounds each to see what you can live with before making a decision. My preferences for a bedside or range gun would be P320, then Staccato, then CZ. If money was no object, I'd lean Staccato, but would still be hard pressed to really "like" any of these better than a customized P320. By the way, I'm old enough that iron sights have become difficult for me to focus on, and have moved almost exclusively to red dots. Took some getting used to, but love them now.

Best of luck to you in your hunt!

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If you are ok with DA/SA, get a Beretta. The 92X, M9A3, or M9A4, or even the PX4 are fantastic guns that are extremely easy to shoot well.

Beretta's are much easier to work on and improve than CZ's

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    May consider a striker fired but never shot/owned a poly or striker fire weapon.

I was seriously considering an FN 509 MRD Midsize for a while, and kinda' still am. But I ended up with an M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm for now. I've always had pretty good experiences with the Smith lineup, and it fits my niche for a semi lightweight, full capacity (15+1 rnds), and optics ready sidearm at a decently affordable price point.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    As others have recommended the P320 Legion and CZ 75 with metal frames. I've got both a P320 XFive Legion and a CZ 75 SP-01 and it's a close call to say which one I prefer. They are both excellent shooters, but the CZ I'd have to give the win to since it's cheaper.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't know how you could do any better than the TacOp 1911.

Top Bottom