• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My truck is out of commission waiting for shocks to get rebuilt, but needed a car for client meetings in Plano.

Reserved a rental at Avis, and when I went to pickup my compact rental (typically a Corolla or the like), the agent asked if I’d like a significant free upgrade to a Mustang Mach E.

I’ve owned an EV, several hybrids and a plug-in hybrid, so I said “sure!”

The vehicle:
    Not a bad car.
    Plenty of pickup, as you’d expect.

Felt like no rebound damping in the rear, it was a mess when I hit large bumps in the road…not comfortable at all over large imperfections.

Giant screen controls all functions…which is great if the car wasn’t pogo-ing down the road. I touched the wrong thing on screen numerous times, very frustrating.

It also had a 100% glass roof, and no sunshade.
    In a fucking Texas summer.
    Who thought this was a good idea?
    The glass was so hot, I could barely touch it.

Started with 320 miles of range.
    Drive about 150 miles and had 15% battery life remaining when I turned it in.

The rental experience:
    This part is on me…I didn’t ask about battery level/recharging before turning it in.

Turns out, returning with:
    70% charge or less, $35 fee
    20% charge or less, additional $35 fee

Cheap-ass that I am, I wanted to charge it before returning it. Nearly all stations around me are EVGo network, so I find one on google and drive to it.

Oh shit, I need an account. Spent 20 mins getting an account setup.

Perfect, now I get to charge it for 30 mins so I can save 70 bucks.

But…it won’t recognize the car.
    WTF?
    IMG_2596.jpeg

All other spots are full with other cars, so I drive to the next station about 15 mins away.

Same fucking problem.
    I go to literally 9 other locations.
    5 were completely full….sorta. One or more spots at multiple locations were out of order.
    The other 4, same problems, out of order and/or won’t recognize car.

Having wasted about 90 mins trying to save 70 buck, I’m out.

I go to return the car, and the attendant is super cool about it, says he won’t note the low charge on the docs.

And here I am 3 days later…the rental doesn’t even show up in “past rentals” on the app or website, they didn’t charge the card, and the invoice that’s typically emailed immediately upon return is nowhere to be found.

Net-net:
    I will never rent one again, it’s just so much more convenient to fill a normal car with gas prior return.

For our use, an EV would be a good second car. But relying on public charging is a no-go…recharging overnight while I’m sleeping is the only way I’d currently consider buying another one.

But not one with a fucking glass roof or dodgy shocks :laughing:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    My truck is out of commission waiting for shocks to get rebuilt, but needed a car for client meetings in Plano.

Reserved a rental at Avis, and when I went to pickup my compact rental (typically a Corolla or the like), the agent asked if I’d like a significant free upgrade to a Mustang Mach E.

I’ve owned an EV, several hybrids and a plug-in hybrid, so I said “sure!”

The vehicle:
    Not a bad car.
    Plenty of pickup, as you’d expect.

Felt like no rebound damping in the rear, it was a mess when I hit large bumps in the road…not comfortable at all over large imperfections.

Giant screen controls all functions…which is great if the car wasn’t pogo-ing down the road. I touched the wrong thing on screen numerous times, very frustrating.

It also had a 100% glass roof, and no sunshade.
    In a fucking Texas summer.
    Who thought this was a good idea?
    The glass was so hot, I could barely touch it.

Started with 320 miles of range.
    Drive about 150 miles and had 15% battery life remaining when I turned it in.

The rental experience:
    This part is on me…I didn’t ask about battery level/recharging before turning it in.

Turns out, returning with:
    70% charge or less, $35 fee
    20% charge or less, additional $35 fee

Cheap-ass that I am, I wanted to charge it before returning it. Nearly all stations around me are EVGo network, so I find one on google and drive to it.

Oh shit, I need an account. Spent 20 mins getting an account setup.

Perfect, now I get to charge it for 30 mins so I can save 70 bucks.

But…it won’t recognize the car.
    WTF?
    View attachment 459140

All other spots are full with other cars, so I drive to the next station about 15 mins away.

Same fucking problem.
    I go to literally 9 other locations.
    5 were completely full….sorta. One or more spots at multiple locations were out of order.
    The other 4, same problems, out of order and/or won’t recognize car.

Having wasted about 90 mins trying to save 70 buck, I’m out.

I go to return the car, and the attendant is super cool about it, says he won’t note the low charge on the docs.

And here I am 3 days later…the rental doesn’t even show up in “past rentals” on the app or website, they didn’t charge the card, and the invoice that’s typically emailed immediately upon return is nowhere to be found.

Net-net:
    I will never rent one again, it’s just so much more convenient to fill a normal car with gas prior return.

For our use, an EV would be a good second car. But relying on public charging is a no-go…recharging overnight while I’m sleeping is the only way I’d currently consider buying another one.

But not one with a fucking glass roof or dodgy shocks :laughing:
    Not sure if the EV my wife's grandson rented was a mustang, but he parked after the first day and borrowed a car for the duration of his visit. He said he would never rent or own one if anything else were available.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    My bet is that the whole purpose of their “free upgrade” is knowing that you won’t have time to recharge the car. They expect that people won’t have a choice but to bring them back with no charge most of the time.
    I still haven’t been charged and I’m pretty sure at this point I won’t be. Very strange, still doesn’t even show up as a past rental in my app, either.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    OP brings up a very interesting point- those charging stations aren't just giant dumb outlets to plug-in to, they are software-driven interfaces that can decide whether or not you are worthy of charging your vehicle. Likewise, the rental agencies could, in effect, manipulate the fleet's EV charging gauges to reflect what is most beneficial to them, similar to the "upgrades" Apple forces on phones that suddenly have poor battery performance after update. It's like computer gambling- too easy to fudge.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    How else is someone going to get a few bucks out of you when you need it most? We can't just have street lights with outlets at the base of them for anyone to charge for pennies per day.
    It isn't a gumball machine, where you put money in and expect to get something out. The machine can be manipulated remotely to be selective and deny certain customers through software algorithms. The interface could produce an innocuous sounding error based on your prior spending habits: You shop at Academy gun counter a lot and donated to Trump, you get error code "019 battery mismatch" or some such, but the next driver: a baby-killing liberal has no trouble filling up they/their battery at the same spot, driving the same model car. They can be manipulated to be discriminatory easier than a gas pump.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Maybe the real end-game is to instead of have EV's with giant-ass batteries like they put in induction coils in the roads and induction pickup coils on the bottom of the EV's, then charge you for each mile that you drive.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Maybe the real end-game is to instead of have EV's with giant-ass batteries like they put in induction coils in the roads and induction pickup coils on the bottom of the EV's, then charge you for each mile that you drive.

The left would definitely like to get rid of our freedom to travel...among our other freedoms they hate.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Out where I live, the County has enough trouble getting regular old concrete roads put down....it would take 100 lifetimes to see energized roads installed.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Meth heads would be digging up the roads for copper, lol

But more seriously, I think the issue with that is low efficiency. I think I read that some country put on overhead charging lines to test for electric trucks, but the project ended up burning lots of money and went nowhere. Can remember the details. Wouldn’t work for cars due to the height

Top Bottom