• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Thanks for your note back! If I am "meat hunting" I go to my .3006 (see pic). My .223 (head shots only) is a fun way to help my friend who has a large place and a strict "deer management" program where he has to take lots of animals ... and fortunately I am invited to help. I really don't care if I actually get an animal, it's more the "sport" although we make sure there is no waste of the meat (we donate all of our animals to the locals who need food).

Wow.

What the heck, wound it for a slow and painful death. Sure, why not. Sport. Sheesssshhhhh.

A .223 is NOT a deer rifle.
    Texas SOT

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Wow.

What the heck, wound it for a slow and painful death. Sure, why not. Sport. Sheesssshhhhh.

You know, you missed the whole point of my reaching out to you and the TGT folks. I KNOW how to deer hunt. I have done it for 40 years and I am incredibly careful of my selection of the rifle, how, when and at what I shoot. When I said " ... I don't care if I actually get an animal ..." I guess I should have said I don't care if I "miss" the shot. I know the limitations of the .223. I'm sorry if I somehow offended your sensibilities but rest assured I do NOT inflict "slow painful death" on ANY animal; never have and never will. I make careful judgments of any shot I take and make sure what I intend is exactly what happens whether it is "shooting fish in a barrel" which is what a 100-150 yard shot to the feeder with a .3006 ... or perhaps taking a "long" shot, which easily could be a "miss" depending on the distance. My use of the .223 will not be abused, you can be sure. Again, I'm sorry we got into this and I'm sorry you felt I was overstepping in my description above. I shouldn't have gone into the detail .... I just thought it might be interesting.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Hey Michael, we're glad you joined. I think oldag was just concerned we were aiding you in an unethical taking of wildlife. Hopefully you can see the good in our members wanting to make sure things get done right, which would include calling out improper techniques. .223 is certainly capable of taking deer, given the right bullet and shooter. Thanks for trying to clear things up, and welcome to TGT.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Wow.

yes, .223 is more than adequate for deer

1 in 12 however, is way slow for modern 5.56/.223. if that, and your .30-06 is your only choice, i would leave the .223 at home

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Hey Michael, we're glad you joined. I think oldag was just concerned we were aiding you in an unethical taking of wildlife. Hopefully you can see the good in our members wanting to make sure things get done right, which would include calling out improper techniques. .223 is certainly capable of taking deer, given the right bullet and shooter. Thanks for trying to clear things up, and welcome to TGT.

I really appreciate your adding your comment. I hate to say it but I got my feelings a little hurt with one of the members calling me out for a reason I felt was somewhat un-necessary. I may have done some dumb stuff in my life but pushing lead downrange in a foolish manner is not one of 'em. I feed deer, I so much enjoy watching them and catching them on my game cameras, etc.. I carefully pick whatever animal I decide to take for meat and make sure there is no suffering. You are thoughtful and kind to take the time to say what you said. Thanks!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A friend in Chicago had a huge family. They bought a farm far south of Chicago in hopes of moving there, later.

Gene invited me out to the farm to shoot 22 rifles. He had a Winchester single shot bolt action rifle that he used to drop a deer with a single round earlier. He skinned the deer, fed his family with the meat and prepared the hide.

We were crossing a stream so small that we could just step over it. Two Teal flushed from that tiny stream. The noise scared the crap outta me but Gene snapped that rifle to his shoulder and shot one of them out of the air with that Winchester!

I didn't see him shoot the deer (all I saw was the hide) but I sure saw him drop that Teal!

Flash

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    A friend in Chicago had a huge family. They bought a farm far south of Chicago in hopes of moving there, later.

Gene invited me out to the farm to shoot 22 rifles. He had a Winchester single shot bolt action rifle that he used to drop a deer with a single round earlier. He skinned the deer, fed his family with the meat and prepared the hide.

We were crossing a stream so small that we could just step over it. Two Teal flushed from that tiny stream. The noise scared the crap outta me but Gene snapped that rifle to his shoulder and shot one of them out of the air with that Winchester!

I didn't see him shoot the deer (all I saw was the hide) but I sure saw him drop that Teal!

Flash

I enjoyed your story of "Gene" and also "... How It Was and How It Is ..."! Below are two from "before" and "after" you might enjoy .... First one in 1990 & second one yesterday. BIG difference 25 years makes!
    Mike Hawaii Ironman 1990 .jpg Mike & Braedon 11_29_15.jpg

HandgunHTR

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Top Bottom