• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I have a beautiful Rem. Mod 700 in .223 with an Advanced Armament suppressor. I have had good luck with Remington Core-Lokt 55 gr ammo with my .3006 so I got that for my .223. I can't seem to get a decent pattern at 100 meters even with an adjustable rest. I heard "heavy" is better so I got some Remington Premier Match 69 gr and tried that. Both will hit center once or twice, then spray a couple around in about a 10 inch area. I am pretty careful with the scope and trigger pull but just can't seem to get a consistent pattern. I clean the gun thoroughly after shooting and now have put over 500 bullets thru it. Anyone got an idea on this? I appreciate your help!
    ARJ Defense ad

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Step one should be taking off that suppressor and shooting again. You need to make sure you're not striking a baffle.

That was exactly what I was going to do .... good thought. Problem is, where I shoot, "little noise" is better than "big noise" (on my ranch) thus ... the suppressor. I gotta get right on the target first so that will be my next move. I'll check back in to report results !!!

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I looked at the Remington website and it said that the 700 rifling was 1 in 12" for the .223
    That is unusual. I would expect to see 1 in 7" to 1 in 9". That is like the original M-16. It may not be adequately stabilizing the round. That would probably cause the suppressor to really destabilize the round.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    1:12 won't do well with a 55 gr.
    Try 40 gr bullets. You'll be happier.

edit:
    Get some federal ammo too.
    Remington ammo is not known for accuracy.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Have you checked all of your scope mount, ring, and stock screws?

The other advise given is good too. Remove the suppressor and try lighter bullets. Throw the Remington ammo away.

You can use a spinning cleaning rod to check the barrel twist and try weights that work well for that twist. However far you have to insert the rod to get one full spin is the twist rate. If it takes 7" then it is a 1:7 twist and so on.

Since I am a Savage fanboi I will tell you that 10 moa sounds about right for a Remington.

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX

edit:

Based on your comments, I researched my rifle and sure-enough its a 1/12" twist and most information recommend lighter gr bullets (40-52), although some say this twist is "designed" for the 55 gr. I'll go to a lighter gr in the Federal and see what my results are. I'll also try without the suppressor to see if there's a difference. THANKS for the help!

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX

edit:

I looked at the Midway and Cheaper than Dirt websites and there are LOTS of Federal loads. Any particular type of Federal ammo you recommend, knowing that we are looking at something under 50 gr? There's a Federal "Premium V Shok Nosler" at 40 gr .....

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I looked at the Midway and Cheaper than Dirt websites and there are LOTS of Federal loads. Any particular type of Federal ammo you recommend, knowing that we are looking at something under 50 gr? There's a Federal "Premium V Shok Nosler" at 40 gr .....

Any Federal ammo with a Nosler or Sierra bullet will get you real close to where you want to be.
    Get a box of this, a box of that. Your rifle will let you know what it likes.
    They're all a little different. Especially with a can.

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Any Federal ammo with a Nosler or Sierra bullet will get you real close to where you want to be.
    Get a box of this, a box of that. Your rifle will let you know what it likes.
    They're all a little different. Especially with a can.

OK, I'll let you know what I find out .......... thanks!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    OK, I'll let you know what I find out .......... thanks!
    Choose a bullet designed for what you are trying to accomplish.

Match bullets shoot the best but don't do well for hunting. Hunting bullets don't shoot as well but are designed for taking game. Generally a more expensive bullet does its job better than a cheaper one.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Whatever it is have fun doing it.

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Choose a bullet designed for what you are trying to accomplish.

Match bullets shoot the best but don't do well for hunting. Hunting bullets don't shoot as well but are designed for taking game. Generally a more expensive bullet does its job better than a cheaper one.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. Whatever it is have fun doing it.

I'm after accuracy as #1 priority. Targets, for me, is a means to an end. I want to be able to consistently hold about a 2-3 moa at 100 meters with this .223 bolt rifle. Then go to the field and shoot deer in the head/neck (only) to save the meat @ 100-200 meters. The bullets I have been buying are about $1.00 each or more and that's why I bought the CZ 455 in .22 ca. and outfitted it with a good Nikon scope and the suppressor; so I can practice, practice, practice without breaking the bank! This has been a blast !!! Lots to learn, though ......

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx
    If your intent is to deer hunt with a .223 I'd suggest you sell it and buy something with a faster twist rate. Not saying 40 grain bullets won't take a deer but there's a much better selection with the heavier loads.

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    If your intent is to deer hunt with a .223 I'd suggest you sell it and buy something with a faster twist rate. Not saying 40 grain bullets won't take a deer but there's a much better selection with the heavier loads.

Thanks for your note back! If I am "meat hunting" I go to my .3006 (see pic). My .223 (head shots only) is a fun way to help my friend who has a large place and a strict "deer management" program where he has to take lots of animals ... and fortunately I am invited to help. I really don't care if I actually get an animal, it's more the "sport" although we make sure there is no waste of the meat (we donate all of our animals to the locals who need food). The challenge for me is accurate shooting in the field at the feeder or long range with larger calibers. My best so far is a doe at 320 yards from a stopped vehicle at the top of a hill with my .3006. I'm a "city kid" though and all this is pretty much a "vertical" learning curve for me! My Rem Mod 700 was manufactured with a 1 in 12 twist so I'm pretty much going with what I have. Getting rid of it is not an option ....

IMG_1106.jpg

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I looked at the Remington website and it said that the 700 rifling was 1 in 12" for the .223
    That is unusual. I would expect to see 1 in 7" to 1 in 9". That is like the original M-16. It may not be adequately stabilizing the round. That would probably cause the suppressor to really destabilize the round.

Very helpful information, thanks for taking the time to send it ........... !

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That Remington rifling twist is way too slow for heavy bullets. About ten years ago, I had a Rem 700 VLS with that crazy twist and although it shot 55 grain bullets pretty well, it's really designed for 45-50 grain slugs.

Bonnie shot my 700 VLS at 600 yards in competition (F class) with 55 grain bullets and it did very well for her.

Summed up.....use light bullets!

The Mossberg bolt rifle (MVP or MPV- I forget) uses the ideal twist from AR-15.......1:9. It also uses AR-15 magazines. Take a look at it!

Flash

Michael Hill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2015
    Houston, TX
    That Remington rifling twist is way too slow for heavy bullets. About ten years ago, I had a Rem 700 VLS with that crazy twist and although it shot 55 grain bullets pretty well, it's really designed for 45-50 grain slugs.

Bonnie shot my 700 VLS at 600 yards in competition (F class) with 55 grain bullets and it did very well for her.

Summed up.....use light bullets!

The Mossberg bolt rifle (MVP or MPV- I forget) uses the ideal twist from AR-15.......1:9. It also uses AR-15 magazines. Take a look at it!

Flash

Got it, thanks! "Lighter" seems to be the conventional wisdom !! I'm going to try (in my bolt Rem. Mod 700 .223) Federal 40 gr "nosler" @ MV 3700 and see what results are. I appreciate the thoughts .....! My .223 Ruger Ranch Rifle has the 1 in 9 twist so I'll burn up all my heavier loads in that with my grandkids. They like to shoot the semi-auto anyway, so no waste .... ! I generally keep them on the 50 meter range (at my farm) so, even with the Ruger RR not being particularly accurate, they can do well on the targets and have fun with it !!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Heavier bullets cannot get bigger in diameter, so they must get longer. That's what makes the twist rate so critical on .223. The heavier, longer bullet becomes unstable so it must be spun faster with the 1:8 or 1:7 rifling twist.

1:9 is the best overall performer in .223 but the rifling won't stabilize heavier bullets. 55-62 grain bullets work great in 1:9 twist.

My best scores were fired in a 1:8 twist rifle using 69 grain Sierra bullets.

With your 1:12 twist, 55 and lighter grain weight bullets work best.

Flash

Top Bottom