• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Ok thanks. I didn't know and didn't want to start if it wasn't. I would be starting from scratch and I haven't done the math. I saw a video where a guy said it was cheaper to use 177 B's from walmart instead of lead shot. I don't shoot shotgun very much so might not be cost effective for me. However some of the shot shells are very expensive depending on the load and shot. Particularly steal shot. I only dove hunt and shoot skeet/clays occasionally.
    Thanks again.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I reload 12 g for my wife as she likes a specific low recoil load but when shells were $22 a hundred for the cheapies at WM I couldn't even get the lead that cheap. Depending on prices in the future I may start reloading again as I have a ton of primers and powder and a moderate amount of lead. In general though shot shell reloading is not financially a good deal.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ok thanks. I didn't know and didn't want to start if it wasn't. I would be starting from scratch and I haven't done the math. I saw a video where a guy said it was cheaper to use 177 B's from walmart instead of lead shot. I don't shoot shotgun very much so might not be cost effective for me. However some of the shot shells are very expensive depending on the load and shot. Particularly steal shot. I only dove hunt and shoot skeet/clays occasionally.
    Thanks again.
    I'd say starting from square one, having to buy the reloading equipment and the components, no, it would probably not be cheaper to reload.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Shotgun reloads, using my latest component costs (including shipping, hazmat and tax), run from $6.75 for 12 gauge, down to $6.00 for .410 per box. Walmarts in my area have not reliably had shotgun ammo in about 2 years.
    My non-reloading friends have been paying $10 a box for 12 gauge and one guy paid $19 a box for .410. As for a basic reloading machine, a Lee Loadall can be had for about $70. It is good enough for a couple of boxes a week.
    Diligence in shopping for components is just as important as diligence in shopping for factory ammo.
    Either way I recommend a two year supply in this political environment.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    In my experience, reloading target loads is not cost-effective not because of the $$, but because of the time you invest to sit there and make them. You will only save a few cents after every 25 shells you reload, compared to the store-bought stuff. IMO your time and efforts are better spent elsewhere if you live close to a Walmart, Academy, etc.

Now, if the closest ammo depot/gun store is far away from your homestead, then yes it could be well worth it. I know a few gentlemen that live in the incorporated areas of Hudspeth and Culberson Counties, and they have to reload since the closest location that sells ammo is over 100 miles away. They keep and reload their hulls, and boy when they compete... they are good.

The only way "I personally" see a benefit to reloading shotgun loads, is reloading slugs, buck & ball, or shot & ball.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    In my experience, reloading target loads is not cost-effective not because of the $$, but because of the time you invest to sit there and make them. You will only save a few cents after every 25 shells you reload, compared to the store-bought stuff. IMO your time and efforts are better spent elsewhere if you live close to a Walmart, Academy, etc.

Now, if the closest ammo depot/gun store is far away from your homestead, then yes it could be well worth it. I know a few gentlemen that live in the incorporated areas of Hudspeth and Culberson Counties, and they have to reload since the closest location that sells ammo is over 100 miles away. They keep and reload their hulls, and boy when they compete... they are good.

The only way "I personally" see a benefit to reloading shotgun loads, is reloading slugs, buck & ball, or shot & ball.

I must disagree. I shoot recreational skeet, trap and sporting clays to the tune of over 6,000 targets a year. There has not been shotgun target ammo in my local Walmart for two years.
    The closest Academy or Bass Pro is 50 miles away. The guys I shoot with said that they had none or bought no more than 1 or 2 hundred shells (limits) any time they went there.
    It has gotten so bad that my club has twice made 1/2 trailer load buys for members to buy 10 box flats for $100.
    I can reload all four skeet gauges and consider $4 a box savings tremendous. If I only shot a couple of hundred shells a year, I might not care.
    As for time spent reloading, I’ve been doing it for about 40 years and find it enjoyable.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I must disagree. I shoot recreational skeet, trap and sporting clays to the tune of over 6,000 targets a year. There has not been shotgun target ammo in my local Walmart for two years.
    The closest Academy or Bass Pro is 50 miles away. The guys I shoot with said that they had none or bought no more than 1 or 2 hundred shells (limits) any time they went there.
    It has gotten so bad that my club has twice made 1/2 trailer load buys for members to buy 10 box flats for $100.
    I can reload all four skeet gauges and consider $4 a box savings tremendous. If I only shot a couple of hundred shells a year, I might not care.
    As for time spent reloading, I’ve been doing it for about 40 years and find it enjoyable.

Um, did you read my 2nd paragraph? I think we agree bud.

I only have one question... where are you getting components (shot, powder & 209 primers) that beat the price by $4 a box?
    If your arithmetic is correct, then I stand corrected. Reloading competition 12 ga at $0.24 per shot is a very good deal, and I may have to look into getting back into the bench time with my shotshell loader. #8 shot in my area is readily available, but powder and primers are not.

I too shoot trap frequently, but only half as much as you do. My reloading speed has much to be desired too. I make a box (25 shells) in about 20 minutes on the LEE... That's only 3 boxes an hour. My time during the weekends is more valuable spent with the family or reloading other calibers that are over $1 a shot.

Last edited:

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    In that case you needn’t worry about steel shot. Lead 7-1/2 or 8 shot works really well for both of these activities, and are usually the cheapest factory ammo to buy.
    Defensive buck shot is very expensive ($19.oo for a box of 5) and I would like to reload buck shot at a cheaper price then what is on the shelf. I can get a basic reloader for 70 bucks. I don't think it would take long to cover the cost for loading buck shot ammo.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Defensive buck shot is very expensive ($19.oo for a box of 5) and I would like to reload buck shot at a cheaper price then what is on the shelf. I can get a basic reloader for 70 bucks. I don't think it would take long to cover the cost for loading buck shot ammo.
    Don't forget to factor in powder and primers, both even when found are going to be expensive.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Remember that with shotgun you need to follow the recipe exactly, no substitute allowed. Different cases need different wads need different primers need different powders need different shot. Components are hard to find. Buckshot isn’t cheap to buy plus you will probably need some kind of filler. Buying some loaded from sgammo might be much cheaper.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Remember that with shotgun you need to follow the recipe exactly, no substitute allowed.
    Agree, but there is "some" flexibility. Smokeless pistol powder like you say is not very forgiving, but I have had some success with homemade black powder trials with target loads.

The batch I made was similar to 2F (following youtube and using Harbor Freight mill) however the final product was definitely not as potent as GOEX. I had to work up a considerable load to get these to perform as it was a balance between the shot weight and the shell capacity. It didn't mimic the DRAM EQ at all, but I was able to work up a load that was sufficient and accurate at the 16-yard line.

The smoke these loads generated turned a lot of heads at the range that day and it was hella fun.

Top Bottom