• ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Find a mentor.

Now is the worst time to get into reloading, as components are scarce.

A re-loading mentor will most likely be so pleased to share his knowledge with you even to the point of sharing his ammo components.

I know.

I have mentored many in the past and still do whenever a new student enters my orbit.
    Guns International

OldTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Texas
    I learned back before the internet. All I had was a Lyman manual that I read from cover to cover. Then I got an RCBS starter kit and never looked back. I still like the Lyman manual because it's the only one I know of that isn't dedicated to one company's line of components.

I can't say I agree with starting on a progressive. Change a few spark plugs before you rebuild an engine from scratch. Lots of little things can go wrong and you can't watch for them if you don't know what they are. Single stage will teach you that. And it's not like you'll throw your single stage press away if you later go progressive. I still use the first RCBS RockChucker I ever bought and I have several other presses, some progressive.

Someone asked how much it costs to get started. I might could have ventured a guess before this craze got started but everything has gone up so much. Last year, you could get a good RCBS starter kit and a couple extras they don't include for somewhere in the neighborhood of $300. Any of the major brands will do you fine, but I can't recommend getting the cheapest tools you can find, just like anything else. Then you'd have to add a set of dies for each caliber. They will last a lifetime if you get a good set and take care of them. Again, don't buy the cheapest stuff on the planet. Getting stocked with that first batch of components makes it seem more costly than it is, especially nowadays. If you ever get to the point where you stop picking up little tools for this and that, you're a better man than me.

MatteR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Tagging along, I plan to reload once material comes available. I'm going to hit up the used book store, I imagine they have the reloading books mentioned.

DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Find a mentor.

Now is the worst time to get into reloading, as components are scarce.

A re-loading mentor will most likely be so pleased to share his knowledge with you even to the point of sharing his ammo components.

I know.

I have mentored many in the past and still do whenever a new student enters my orbit.

I think I need a mentor - ha - anyone available in West Fort Worth? :)

darstcreek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    katy Tx
    Reloading stuff has always been a little high , but not like now , the green sheet , yard sells , flea markets craigslist , is a good place to start ,, ad a little at a time , buy brass when you find it , bullets , primmers (Iwould not suggest buying powder used) you will stumble across componets buy them ... I have made trades on forums brass ect you may have crap sitting in your garage holding dust that someone cant live without trade or sell it to buy reloading stuff .I bought 8 boxs of bullets that went through a flood (ike)just for the brass and bullets .let them tumble for a couple days just like new ..
    Bass pro didnt jack there prices up on reloading stuff too bad.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Tagging along, I plan to reload once material comes available. I'm going to hit up the used book store, I imagine they have the reloading books mentioned.

You might find a book there but most reloaders keep them forever. Also reloading data changes as the powders do. I wouldn't use data from the '60s and powder from 2013. I am not saying always, but they do change.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Cabelas in Allen has them all. I just bought a Hornady for $30, and a Lyman paperback for $20.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Gunbroker can have some great deals on brass. I just bought 500 40 cal brass for $28. Bought another batch of 1000 for $40.

You have to be patient and look around. A different auction of 1000 40 cal went for close to $100.

But don't even try to buy primers there: $60 to well over $100 for 1,000 primers. Why would anyone pay that much?

Last edited:

Tazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Cedar Park, Texas
    The only reason I shoot is so I can reload 1 (351).jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Doc, as soon as tax season is over, lets hang out and reload one day. You would learn more just doing it with an experienced reloader than reading for a week.

All the stuff you read would all come together when you see it done.

DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Doc, as soon as tax season is over, lets hang out and reload one day. You would learn more just doing it with an experienced reloader than reading for a week.

That would be awesome! I would definitely love to just watch and take notes. Let me know when you get some time and are doing some reloading. I will definitely do my best to make it. I really want to watch and take some notes and ask questions before I invest in equipment. Then I'll probably need to ask more questions after that. Thanks deemus!

MatteR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013

Would you be willing to add one more? I would also love to check out your setup. I definitely don't want to go another year without starting to reload.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Diehards?

Heck, I dedicated a whole room of my house to reloading, it has heat & air, good light, a big, overstuffed leather chair and all the comforts. I put on some classical music, put another chair with a cushion near mine so Jake can hang out with me and I reload ammo. It sure beats TV!

Flash

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I learned to reload by reading everything I could get my hands on. I wasn't into forums/ internet much at that time but it was available.

I read the Lyman #48 cover to cover twice, bought a single stage press and took off.

Reloading definitely isn't for diehards. Start small and learn all you can. We are all still learning things and we are here to help.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Can I go to Deemus' too? ;) I guess now it's a reloading class? lol

I grabbed the ABCs of reloading from B&N last week, been reading it. I saw Bass Pro has the 49th Edition Lyman Reloading manual on the shelf. I didn't grab it though since I parked at Bucky's and I didn't want to walk all the way to the front checkout and then all the way back to the truck for just one item. I know, lazy.

Top Bottom