• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Is there a quick start guide on here or online to help me get started in reloading?

I am considering getting into reloading, like most, due to high cost of ammo. Is it tough and only for the diehards?

Thanks for any direction. I don't mind reading and studying. I just need a push in the right direction.
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Reloading is not difficult and definitely not "just for diehards".

Get a good reloading manual, Speer, Sierra, hornady, any will work. You will probably have a couple of them at least by the time your done.

Read through them, they will explain the process and reasons for doing thing. Might wanna read them a couple times before you start loading rounds.

Then ask any other questions you might have. Don't guess at things if your not sure.

Do you plan to load for rifle or pistol.

There are a lot of different presses out there and some are better than others. Loading for pistol on a single stage sucks and it's hard to get precision rifle rounds out of a progressive.

So, what are you planning to reload.

Also, primers are tough to find right now.

DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Pistol ammo would definitely be my first priority with the ability later to load rifle rounds. But initially I would be looking to concentrate on loading .40 and .45 rounds.

Thanks for the advice. I feel a little overwhelmed but I am very interested.

How much of an investment (roughly) am I looking at to get started on let's say being able to load those two calibers?

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Google and YouTube are your friends. Lots of basic info can be gleaned from a few videos. As YG noted, get at least two if not more reloading manuals, read them and read them again.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Pistol ammo would definitely be my first priority with the ability later to load rifle rounds. But initially I would be looking to concentrate on loading .40 and .45 rounds.

Thanks for the advice. I feel a little overwhelmed but I am very interested.

How much of an investment (roughly) am I looking at to get started on let's say being able to load those two calibers?

Starting with the Lee Classic Turret kit from Midway, for me it was about $500 including dies, powder, primer, and bullets.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    The "best" way to get into reloading is to get a mentor you can trust and have that person lead you through the steps. Manuals are great and the internet is also good, but....................remember, it's the internet. I will not use any data except from a manual or a powder manufacturer. Stick to the basics and find an experienced friend.

I recommend new "hand loaders" get a single stage (or maybe a turret) press. Move on to a progressive at a later time. With that said, I one knew they would only be loading for handguns or shotguns and many, many, rounds (competition, etc.), a progressive would make more sense initially. I've loaded thousands of rounds with a single stage press over the years.

Last edited:

DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Ahhh great advice by everyone. I do appreciate it. I do have one friend who is into reloading and I can definitely read. :) I'm assuming these manuals can be found on Amazon or wherever. Thanks!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The "best" way to get into reloading is to get a mentor you can trust and have that person lead you through the steps. Manuals are great and the internet is also good, but....................remember, it's the internet. I will not use any data except from a manual or a powder manufacturer. Stick to the basics and find an experienced friend.

Yep.. where are you?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I think the NRA has classes on reloading and some stores do as well.
    ABCs of modern reloading is a good book
    Lyman's reloading manual is a good start as well.

Some folks will say start with a single stage press other a turret. I say start with what you will end up with eventually, which is a progressive of some sort. Buy once, cry once.

Besides press and dies you will need
    a caliper either digital or dial
    Scale, either digital or beam analog (the beam is best for everything because it is not affected by low batteries, flourescent lights etc.
    boxes for ammo
    a tumbler and separator for cleaning brass
    Brass cleaner/polish
    cleaning media corn cob/lizard litter
    a sturdy bench larger than what you think you need
    manuals
    powder
    primers
    brass
    safety glasses
    Good light at the press.

That should get you started. You can get el cheapo digital calipers almost anywhere or you can go to pawn shops and find high end calipers for less than half retail. I paid $40 for a dial Browne and Sharpe set. Retails over $100 at the time.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How much do you have to invest?

My goal was cheap ammo at a descent pace so I got a lee pro 1000 progressive.

Not as smooth as a Dillan or Hornady but it paid for itself very quickly and I've been pleased with its performance.

I would say get the best equipment your budget can handle but don't stress to much if you don't have the cash for an $800 press.

A turret can load pistol rounds at a moderate pace and can still turn out some descent quality rifle rounds.

Decide exactly what you want out of it before you buy.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I think the NRA has classes on reloading and some stores do as well.
    ABCs of modern reloading is a good book
    Lyman's reloading manual is a good start as well.

Some folks will say start with a single stage press other a turret. I say start with what you will end up with eventually, which is a progressive of some sort. Buy once, cry once.

Besides press and dies you will need
    a caliper either digital or dial
    Scale, either digital or beam analog (the beam is best for everything because it is not affected by low batteries, flourescent lights etc.
    boxes for ammo
    a tumbler and separator for cleaning brass
    Brass cleaner/polish
    cleaning media corn cob/lizard litter
    a sturdy bench larger than what you think you need
    manuals
    powder
    primers
    brass
    safety glasses
    Good light at the press.

That should get you started. You can get el cheapo digital calipers almost anywhere or you can go to pawn shops and find high end calipers for less than half retail. I paid $40 for a dial Browne and Sharpe set. Retails over $100 at the time.

Add a bullet puller to the list also. I prefer the kinetic kind that look like a hammer. You will screw one up from time to time.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    I would suggest a mentor. That way you get one on one instruction, you'll get hands on experience and you'll get to use equipment that will allow you to make a better choice on your purchase.

I have a single stage, a turret and a progressive, but I use the turret the most. It's a good compromise for speed and still allows better control over the whole process.

darstcreek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    katy Tx
    First thing Buy a copy of the ABCs of reloading (rifle and pistol) unless you are reloading shotgun .. Read it then read it again any press , lyman , rcbs , pacific, texan , redding , lee , any dies will do you good , thing to think about single stage or progessive , powder drop or wiegh each load ect . i have been loading since 83 , good luck ,,,, used is as good as new ...

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    First thing Buy a copy of the ABCs of reloading (rifle and pistol) unless you are reloading shotgun .. Read it then read it again any press , lyman , rcbs , pacific, texan , redding , lee , any dies will do you good , thing to think about single stage or progessive , powder drop or wiegh each load ect . i have been loading since 83 , good luck ,,,, used is as good as new ...

Does Texan still make presses? I had a Texan turret press in the 60s and really liked it.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so

I would love to find a mint Texan 7 station press. Had one in the 60s. They are tank strong. List price with auto primer feed was $94.50. I got mine through a distributor who repped them, Zebco, and about 30 other outdoor related companies. Paid him $65.00 for it.

Paul5388

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Rusk County
    From what I remember, the Texan was made in the Dallas area, but has been out of business for years and no one bought them out.

Top Bottom