• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    When you live ON post you have to let the Provost Marshal know what fire arms you own and where they are stored. Most bases require you to lock them in the units arms room aswell. So i say BS to alot of what is being said. Off post you do not have to let the Provost Marshal know anything about your firearms UNLESS you take them ON post to shoot them at the POW range.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yep, I agree with RetArmySgt; that's the way it always was during my 25 yr career. The Ft Campbell incident was an overzealous commander trying to make all personnel register their firearms on base and that got shot down quickly.

As for sky cops, their authority is only on base (I was a SP augmentee during my first assignment); so these four incidents The Mayor is speaking of must have happened there. I agree with him, individuals can get into big trouble for having an unregistered firearm on base (never dealt with it when I was a commander, but I was aware of other incidents where it had happened). Also note that USC Title 18 Section 930 prohibits personally-owned firearms in Federal facilities (buildings) which is why there's a big sign on the front door of the hunting lodge at Camp Bullis that states "NO GUNS!"

Cheers! M2

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I am active duty Air Force right now. The rules, as I've experienced them, are that members living in base housing must register their firearms, but can keep them in their houses. Junior enlisted living in the dorms must store their guns in the armory. This also applied to me when I was going through flight training because I was forced to live in dorms. I know that is not the case anymore at that base (those dorms are now junior Enlisted dorms; commissioned students live off base or in base housing). Very few bases have ranges that are available for recreational use anymore. If you bring guns on base, like on TDY, you have to turn them into the Security Forces Armory. As a result of that rule, I have exactly four firearms that the Air Force has any record of.

Members who live off base have no requirement to inform the military about any of their guns.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The military, like a college, wants its people to be victims. What a GI needs to learn is to keep his trap shut about what he has off base.
    The best way to understand the military is to remember what an Air Force lawyer told me in Thailand. "Always remember, military justice is justice like military music is music."

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    See I'm a cop and have been for 13 years, We register at every Air Force Base thats the rules at every base. We do it so that we know who has guns when we respond to an incident. Your friend that is in the Air Force if he lives on base and has not registered his weapons he could get in serious trouble and be charged and processed by the UCMJ. So far in my career with the exception of Iraq I have had agun pulled on me 4 times by military members.
    See - having been in the military, all this sounds like to me is that regardless of what rules are in place, different units have been told different shit.
    C'mon guys. How many times when you were in (for other military guys on here) did you have a buddy in another unit tell you about some "rules that applied to everyone on base" that you had never heard of in your life. Sometimes, you find out his unit was above and beyond, and sometimes his unit was correct, but your unit for one reason or another didn't pass the word.
    ...just my two cents worth on what I've read so far.

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See the problem with military members there are the ones who still think that they are back on the blocks still gangstra-N it up and don't follow the rules. As for the off base houseing I am talking about military off base houseing that we has juristiction on. Alot of base have houseing areas a way from the base. Take Cannonfor example. When I was there I lived 20 miles away from base, but had to register my guns. If you live in the dorms or are traveling thur the base and you have a weapon you must tell the gate guard you have a weapon and then go check it in the SF Armory. See if your in the military you fall under the UCMJ and if you are caught with a weapons and didn't registor the weapon or checked it in to the armory you can be charged with Article 92 Failure to follow a rule or regulation. I can't speak for the other branches but as for Air Force you are required to registor the weapons this is a AFI requirerment.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    See the problem with military members there are the ones who still think that they are back on the blocks still gangstra-N it up and don't follow the rules. As for the off base houseing I am talking about military off base houseing that we has juristiction on. Alot of base have houseing areas a way from the base. Take Cannonfor example. When I was there I lived 20 miles away from base, but had to register my guns. If you live in the dorms or are traveling thur the base and you have a weapon you must tell the gate guard you have a weapon and then go check it in the SF Armory. See if your in the military you fall under the UCMJ and if you are caught with a weapons and didn't registor the weapon or checked it in to the armory you can be charged with Article 92 Failure to follow a rule or regulation. I can't speak for the other branches but as for Air Force you are required to registor the weapons this is a AFI requirerment.

I don't differentiate between on base housing, and off-base government controlled housing. I spent my first 13 months in the Air Force living on Randolph AFB, and that was enough to promise you I will NEVER live in government housing again. Guns aren't the only reason, but they're close to the top of the list.

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So you still at Randolph? Cause you don't always geta choice on weather you get to live on or off base sometimes. When I lived over seas I had to check my weapons in and didn't get to use them for 4 years cause of the country I was in. Live in the dorms is also diffrent from houseing. So far the house I am in now is one of the best houses I have ever lived in.

Top Bottom