• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Wait, you're saying you have to register your weapons with the military even if you live off base?!? I've heard one story of an Army unit commander at Ft Campbell requiring this, but never an all-out registration! Plus, it was more of a "safety" program like they do with motorcycles; but even then it was not required unless a soldier brought the firearm onto post/base. Still, that order was rescinded when the commander's higher headquarters determined it was beyond his authority!

Other than registering weapons brought on base, there is no other requirement that I am aware of!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think after Major whatzisname killed all those folks ar Ft Hood the military started that caca at all bases in the US.

It did cause a lot of reaction from the military, such as "active shooter" training, but this is the first I have heard of it outside of the Ft Campbell order I posted about earlier.

Just to caveat, although I'm retired, I still work on a military base and know/shoot with a lot of folks who are still in uniform.

Cheers! M2

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Wait, you're saying you have to register your weapons with the military even if you live off base?!? I've heard one story of an Army unit commander at Ft Campbell requiring this, but never an all-out registration! Plus, it was more of a "safety" program like they do with motorcycles; but even then it was not required unless a soldier brought the firearm onto post/base. Still, that order was rescinded when the commander's higher headquarters determined it was beyond his authority!

Other than registering weapons brought on base, there is no other requirement that I am aware of!

that was the post CG that made that order, (it also included surender of firearms to be locked in unit arms room) and it was only for soldiers that were in the WTU (wounded warrior unit) and was rescinded after a few of us took it to SJA (military lawyers) and civilian lawyers when SJA said they couldnt do anything about it because they work for the CG. It was rescinded because it was found to be unconstitutional.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm pretty sure that the military registration varies from base to base. Check particulars with the base you're going to be moving to.

No way to register firearms with the State of Texas, though.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I've been stationed at a couple bases in TX and AR. I have a gun-nut buddy who has been stationed in ND. Never heard of registering weapons off base. Mine certainly aren't. If any commander told me to register my guns, I sold them all the day before, until I get a lawyer.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you read about the Ft Campbell incident, you will learn that the order was quickly deemed illegal; which is why I question any requirement to register weapons by military personnel unless they will be brought on the installation. The first thing I'd do would be call the IG, then the JAG; which I am sure would have such an order reversed in no time.

I have friends stationed at Air Force bases across the country, and none have ever mentioned it. I seriously doubt it is the case, most likely the individual is living on base or shooting there (although the number of base ranges has decreased significantly over the years).

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See I'm a cop and have been for 13 years, We register at every Air Force Base thats the rules at every base. We do it so that we know who has guns when we respond to an incident. Your friend that is in the Air Force if he lives on base and has not registered his weapons he could get in serious trouble and be charged and processed by the UCMJ. So far in my career with the exception of Iraq I have had agun pulled on me 4 times by military members.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    See I'm a cop and have been for 13 years, We register at every Air Force Base thats the rules at every base. We do it so that we know who has guns when we respond to an incident. Your friend that is in the Air Force if he lives on base and has not registered his weapons he could get in serious trouble and be charged and processed by the UCMJ. So far in my career with the exception of Iraq I have had agun pulled on me 4 times by military members.

But do you know who has guns when you respond?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You are claiming all bases require registration, even when you live off base? (ummmm.....no they dont), and that this registration lets you know who has all of the guns for instances in which you have to respond to an emergency...

yet you have had a gun pulled on you 4 times? How is that "registration" working out for you?

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom