• ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    10.jpg

We were recently visited by a Leupold rep that filled us in about the new upcoming Redfield line of scopes that were to be produced by Leupold here in the US. The scopes were advertised as having the same features and reliability of the Leupold VX-1 and VX-II line, but with significantly reduced cost and backed by the same warranty as Leupold's line. Sounds like alot to deliver for such a cheap price, so we were left sceptical of the claims.

Once they rolled into the shop I tossed one up against a comparable VX-II model. In low-light, indoors, and outdoors conditions there was no appreciable difference in optical quality between the two. The Redfield had good clarity, good light, and ample eye relief, only ... it was $189 compared to the VX-II's $300+ price tag.

A few months and a few mounting jobs later we've sold probably 20 of the new Redfields and had only one scope that was "dead in the box" from Leupold, which they fixed quickly with no fuss. We've mounted them on .270s, .204s, .308s both bolt and semi, and a myriad of other calibers up to a .300 Win Mag with good results. Lastly, I decided to put one on my 10/22 Target.

So what's there to like about the Redfield?

Price - The scope is $189. Want a 50mm objective? Toss in another $20. There are few scopes available in the general market that are comparable in terms of price effectiveness, in my opinion.

Lifetime Warranty - They are backed by Leupold. Not only is Leupold in the US, but they are a company that has stood behind their product for decades. I've seen Leupold take care of customers that admittedly broke their own scope, on accident mind you, but that is nearly unheard of these days.

1/4 MOA Click Adjust Turrets - It has been a long time coming for the days of 2 MOA or 1 MOA friction adjust scopes to die from the market. I'm incredibly pleased that Leupold has decided to stick with the market standard and opt for clickable adjustments in 1/4 MOA. This is the sole reason why I hardly recommend their VX-I line to customers, and purchased the Redfield for myself.

Clarity - The glasswork and coatings give ample light and clarity in all times of the day, and perform well even in moderately lit indoor ranges. I can't say it's what you'd get out of a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender, but let's be honest here ... no one is expecting that. This is a working man's scope that would be sufficient for shooting, plinking, or gunning down hogs and bambi at nightfall (meat is murder, tasty tasty murder).

Quality - To put it plainly, for $189 you don't exactly expect the world's best, but I officially declare that these scopes do not feel like a piece of crap. Some other manufacturers, I cannot honestly say the same.

Camo! - The scope comes with some sort of camo cloth that I still have not found a use for. It's too small for underwear, and it's too big for a finger puppet.

Sounds like a sales pitch? It's not ... I really do like these scopes. I've used Nightforce, Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Leupold, US Optics, Sworovski, etc. so I've put my eyeball behind some world-class glass. They all have their place, but not adorning your local Redneck's .270, or my 10/22, or a .204 Ruger that'll be shot at 100 yards to blow up small critters like you fed them a diet of thermonuclear peanuts. Those scopes are best on that .375 H&H, that M40A5 that's sitting in front of Pvt. Pyle in Afghanistan, or a 6.5-284 chambered 1000-yard Benchrest gun.

What don't I like about the Redfield?

No Adjustable Parallax - This plays hell on my eyes when shooting my rimfire at 50 yards. I would like to have seen or had the choice of an adjustable parallax version. Not really a big gripe since I knew it when I bought the scope. Just me pointing out that the grass could indeed be greener.

Click Adjustments are "Soft" - A design change to a firmer and more positive feel to the windage and elevation adjustments would be welcomed.

Lastly, just because I'm going to fire off this review to Leupold, I really wish they would have put out a 8.5-25x50mm, 30mm tube diameter, front focal scope with adjustable parallax and M1 turret scopes, but under the Redfield label, and all for $500. Please?

Pics of my Redfield on my 10/22

8.jpg

9.jpg

13.jpg

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Glad you threw in that bit on the .300 win mag. I believe i'll soon be purchasing one for a new .300 wm TC Encore bbl. Because the barrel's new, it will of course have to be subject to around 50 loads of average velocity then it will start being subject to working up loads that will group well with the rifle. I'll get the scope and when I get the time to reload 100 or so rounds, I'll let you know how the scope fares on a solid lock action.
    But as for not even owning the scope yet, Made in U.S.A., Lifetime Leupold Warranty, and a pretty little red R for all of us who dwell on the past. I'm sold.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Definitely would not be a bad idea to do the old wide-field. Especially for those of us out here putting round objective scopes on square exposed hammered rifles and pistols, having a flat rear objective would be a joy to put on a Encore, Contender, Lever-gun, or Revolver, speaking of that, They need to get on the ball and start making pistol scopes already. I was just in the market for one and wound up having to settle for a Burris signature....

Another thing that would be a major plus, and I have no idea if they will ever do it again or let them cost as little. The solid one piece steel tube fixed powers. Bench resters drool over those things because of the sheer brutality they can stand up to. I know Aircraft grade aluminum shows to be just as or more strong, but fact being that most people who prefer to buy USA made, also prefer to buy things that have "Balls of Steel" so to speak. Of course then, we'd have another issue to debate in the world of weapons and ammo, same as combat tupperware to steel framed 1911's.

FishingHuntingGuide

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Dickinson
    Redfeild scopes are some of the best scopes made. I have one on my 22-250 and works flawless. If you can get a hold of an older RF oh boy your in business with some great glass

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    After some members here wrote up the Great Texas Gunshop in Brian, I stopped in and ordered a Ruger 77 all-weather in .308. I had them mount a Redfield on it. I checked out a number of scopes in the shop, and was as impressed with the Redfield as I was back in the 70's when Redfield was the premier American made scope. I'm really happy with the setup, look forward to getting back home so I can play with it.

FYI: all the positive comments about the Great Texas Gunshop are on the mark. Nice little shop and great guys working there!!

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    I would say better than pro-staff, Nikon's warranty doesn't cover recoil.
    The buckmaster and monarch are fog, water, and recoil proof
    The pro-staff is just fog and water proof.

mrod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Houston
    I have the 4x12x40 on my rock river and i am shooting inside the size of a quarter at 100 yards. BEST SCOPE FOR THE MONEY HANDS DOWN!!!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I sighted one in for a guy on, I believe a .30-06. Strange thing is, even though it was supposed to be 1/4 MOA adjustments, it was more like 1/2 to 3/4 MOA adjustments in reality, at least with that one particular scope. Other than that throwing me off, it seemed to be a decent scope and had excellent clarity.

Top Bottom