• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    My electric co-op just sent a text with a message from ERCOT who is asking Texans to turn their thermostat down to 65°. Yeah, no thanks. If we lose power I want to start from a hot house, not already cold.

festering

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    bb.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Remember that whatever you feed in to your house can and will go back through the service and come out of your transformer between 7200 and 14,400 volts. Extremely dangerous when people start working to turn the lights back on.

Make sure you know how to disconnect your house from the power lines that would normally feed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep. That’s half of my “bad shit happens” statement. The other half is the fireball and crater where your generator used to be when the power comes back on.

Spcwolf

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    If you have an electric water heater or clothes dryer in your garage, you can plug your generator in there. Just make sure you kill the main disconnect, or bad shit happens. I have a welder that‘s a 6500 watt generator that can easily power my whole house if I turn off all the 240V breakers. Just remember, any electric heating element is essentially a direct short. A small coffer pot can really put a strain on a generator.

Yes you can certainly do this.
    Yep. That’s half of my “bad shit happens” statement. The other half is the fireball and crater where your generator used to be when the power comes back on.

Your house should have a main breaker you can disconnect.

if I had a big enough generator I would install a 2 pole breaker with sufficient size to run what you need, then hook of the generator leads to that breaker to run the house.
    Now with this setup, you should take the neutral off the lug and use the neutral from the generator. Essentially you have a separately derived system.
    You will need a breaker designed for this, a SO cord of sufficient size, and a generator capable for this setup.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If there's an extended outage at my house, we can bundle up, use flashlights, and wait it out. I'm going to need to do a little research on how to handle the plumbing, though. After shutting off the water to the house, I assume I'd need to drain the pipes...somehow.

I guess it's off to DuckDuckGo to look for instructions. :(

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If there's an extended outage at my house, we can bundle up, use flashlights, and wait it out. I'm going to need to do a little research on how to handle the plumbing, though. After shutting off the water to the house, I assume I'd need to drain the pipes...somehow.

To drain the pipes, the drain has to be at or below ground level, preferably the latter.

Many houses do not have drain valves.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

I wonder if a preemptive water shut off would be better than allowing faucets to drip?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Many houses do not have drain valves.
    Yep. Mine doesn't. So I'm kinda wondering what to do. Right now the plan is to drain what I can if the need arises and then hope for the best. I'm hoping to find more useful info as I continue searching online.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yep. Mine doesn't. So I'm kinda wondering what to do. Right now the plan is to drain what I can if the need arises and then hope for the best. I'm hoping to find more useful info as I continue searching online.

At what point would you know this?

Top Bottom