APOD Firearms

Recommendations for several things in the Plano direction of the DFW area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    Plano Mark, I was thinking about going to Gunmasters for some action work on my handguns. Would you recommend them for this or is there something better in the Plano area?
    Hurley's Gold

skychief12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frisco, Texas
    I go to Gunmasters often. The guys there seem nice enough to me except the gunsmith. I can't recommend him. The man is a real asshole. I have no knowledge of his work other than my first couple of encounters. His prices were too high and his attitude sucks. You may have more luck. I take my gunsmith work to Ray's. They have been around forever and I've always gotten good results from them. BTW, they have a great inventory of guns.

Ray's Hardware & Sporting Goods

6041 Forest Lane Dallas, Texas 75230
    Phone: (972) 385-3006 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (972) 385-3006

Plano Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Plano Texas
    Plano Mark, I was thinking about going to Gunmasters for some action work on my handguns. Would you recommend them for this or is there something better in the Plano area?

I had them install a safety on my Colt .38 Super, I was pleased with that. But I can't say that they are good or bad based on my little project.

There use to be a guy that worked on 1911s that was at the Bullet Trap, but that was 15+ years ago and he is not there anymore. He did an Auto Ordinance .38 Super that I have and I was very pleased with it.

Plano Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Plano Texas
    I go to Gunmasters often. The guys there seem nice enough to me except the gunsmith. I can't recommend him. The man is a real asshole. I have no knowledge of his work other than my first couple of encounters. His prices were too high and his attitude sucks. You may have more luck. I take my gunsmith work to Ray's. They have been around forever and I've always gotten good results from them. BTW, they have a great inventory of guns.

Ray's Hardware & Sporting Goods

6041 Forest Lane Dallas, Texas 75230
    Phone: (972) 385-3006 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (972) 385-3006

Is it still at that location? I stopped there 10-15 years ago when the store was facing Forest Lane. But it is not at that location anymore. Is it in the shopping center?

I agree that the gunsmith at Gunmaster can have an attitude, but I have also joked around with him too. It may take time to warm up to him and vice versa.

tag2501

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Dallas TX
    To answer an early question in the thread, the guys at SPS in Carrollton are good people. The gunsmith is pretty decent and rates are good. They've done a few projects for me and did good work. Larry Is the owner and is a strait guy. Nice selection of supplies and also have a decent selection of firearms that turns over often enough to be worth a visit every few weeks.

The bullet trap does very good CHL raining. If Dave Hammer is the instructor offered, grab a slot in the class. Very experienced and great instruction. Their pricing is alos prettry decent for retail, and they have a good selection. The range is pretty nice and well managed. They keep a pretty easy-going feel, considering number of non-members who show up.

Gunmaster has been in business for a long time and has an interesting selection. yes a little on the grumpy side, but the service is actually good. lots of reloading supplies and parts - maybe one of the best in the area.

Plano Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Plano Texas
    I recently bought a G26 at the Bullet Trap in Plano that came with three magazines. I bought 3 Pierce magazines extensions at Bachman Pawn and Guns. I tried to put them on, no luck. Took the mags and extensions to Gunmaster to do it, they did it at no charge.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I recently bought a G26 at the Bullet Trap in Plano that came with three magazines. I bought 3 Pierce magazines extensions at Bachman Pawn and Guns. I tried to put them on, no luck. Took the mags and extensions to Gunmaster to do it, they did it at no charge.

That's good insight, speaks well for Gunmaster. What was the reason for the issues of the Pierce magazine extensions?

fnmedallion

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    haslet texas
    tgo&tgt people usually meet the last sunday of the month at elm fork for shootin and bs'n then head to bbq joint for lunch and more bs'n

Plano Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Plano Texas
    That's good insight, speaks well for Gunmaster. What was the reason for the issues of the Pierce magazine extensions?

I first rented a G30 @ the Bullet Trap, and it had a magazine with a Pierce extension on it. I liked it. So when I bought a G30, the mags were w/o the extensions, I didn't like my pinky finger hanging over when I gripped the gun. So I bought some extensions at Bachman. I tried to put them on my self, but w/o a vise grip, it is hard to do.

So Gunmaster was kind enough to do it for me.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom