Texas SOT

Recommendations for several things in the Plano direction of the DFW area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Hey all,

So now that things are getting settled at my house after the move, I am looking for several local gun-related items:

1) Outdoor shooting range - Garland is the closest, though Elm Fork isn't too much further (40 mins vs 25 mins). Any reason one is better than the other? Might try to go this weekend.
    2) Indoor range - Bullet Trap is close to me. Other than being a couple bucks more the others in the area, any reason not to go there when an outdoor range isnt practical?
    3) CHL - I see several locally that do it. Any recommendations? Any I should avoid?
    4) Reloading supplies - Normally I get my bullets off the web, but I like to get primers and powders locally. Any recommendations for local places with supplies?
    5) Where's the closest place I could go set up steel plates/reactive targets etc?
    6) What about shooting a rifle at more then 100 yards?
    7) Anything else that I should know?

Thank you for your time!
    ARJ Defense ad

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Things seem to move pretty slow in this section. I have some of the same questions as you. I stopped in a shop called SPS guns today in Carrollton. I liked the guys in there, very small shop. They had a whole wall full of reloading supplies and I know they had primers and powder.

He offers CHL training, I didn't really inquire too much, but I know he said he offers the training. Of all the places I have looked, Targetmaster in Garland seems to look like a pretty nice range for indoor shooting. I am going to try out Garland Public Shooting Range tomorrow for my rifles.

If you find anything that you like amongst those questions you have, please let me know!

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Here is what I know so far:
    1) Garland is great for pistol and rifle to 100 yards. Everyone was really nice. Rules were what I am used to at an outdoor range. There was a range master calling for cease-fires, though it is my understanding that this is not always the case. Cost $10 for a lifetime range card and you had to watch a 5 min rules video to get it. Then it is $10/day, come and go as you please all day. All shooting platforms were covered. Pistol had brass catchers and a carpeted like 4x4 to use as a rest if desired. Rifle had a 270 degree wrap around platform (so it works for right and left handers), also carpeted with screens between stations to catch brass and sandbags. However, if you are a shotgun person, it may not meet your needs. All they have is 5 stations with simple clay pigeon throwers. They are free though if you supply the pigeons.

3) BulletTrap Bullet Trap Inc. (Plano): $130.00 including photos, notary, finggerprints, 2 range passes and free gun rental.
    Pack Your Heat Texas Concealed Handgun License: CHL License, Concealed Carry, Gun Permit, CHL Instructor, CHL Class, Concealed Weapon, Gun Training, Gun Course, Gun Safety (Richardson): $100.00 includes notary and range fees.
    Garland CHL GARLAND_CHL (Garland): $125 (several easy ways to get $25 off). Does NOT include range fees, notary, pictures, fingerprints, etc.
    Target Master :: Target Master - Indoor Shooting Master :: (Garland): $150 includes all.
    Texas Handgun Academy Texas concealed handgun license classes Texas Handgun Academy (N. Dallas): $100. Includes all and electronic fingerprinting.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Yeah, I went to Garland on Sunday. For some reason I got put at the end and there was no screen in between booths, I lost maybe half of my 6.8 brass I was shooting out of my AR, which made me a little upset. It makes me know that I need to get one of those mesh brass catchers though, and that is fine for $20 bucks.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I'm glad someone is posting in this area. Thanks for the links Rum Runner! I'll be sure to post as I discover more resources in the Plano + surrounding area.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Lox:
    That sux. The rifle ones are not as good as the pistol ones. One thing to note though...make sure you empty the catcher on the pistol range BEFORE you start shooting or you'll end up like me with a load of 22 and who knows what else in with your brass.

Leonidas:
    Please do!

tiger1873

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Frisco
    Two things to keep in Mind Cheaper then Dirt opened a store in McKinney (380 and 75) great place for ammo again I was able to get 380 for under $12. Also Cabela's is going to build a store in Allen so that will be a great place to reloading supplies. I just avoid the Garland shooting range it is always busy when you want to shoot skeet. (for me that is main reason to go) I rather just go to Bullet trap for pistol it's only 7.95 if your a member.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Went to The Bullet Trap today to sight in a Marlin 60 (.22lr) and test out two pistols I completely disassembled and cleaned (Ruger Mark III 22/45 and Springfield 1911). The staff was courteous, the facilities were easy to use. It was a bit different than what I'm normally use to, but nothing worth mentioning. They did come out and tell me I was firing the .22 pistol "too rapidly". I didn't take offense and just slowed down the drills I was doing. May try and purchase a gun there for the wife, we'll see how well they deal with her.

jdlott74

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I am doing the CHL class at Bullet Trap on October 23. We have been using them for a while. I'm sure as with everybody else if you find a good gun store, you stick with them. With Bullet Trap they do the class one day and then you have to come back in the follow Monday afternoon/evening after the class to do the fingerprinting and qualification. Their schedule is on the website (under news I think), whereas other places you have to call about the schedule.

We use Bullet Trap, Targetmasters in Garland and also my husband buys from Cheaper than Dirt in McKinney. When we lived in Arlington we went to Cheaper than Dirt in Ft. Worth. There also is Gunmasters on Ave. K in Plano, but my husband doesn't like them as good.

As far as outside gun ranges, I can't help you there. The one we went to here in the area, off 380 in McKinney is no longer open I don't think.

a a r o n

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Little Elm
    i shoot at the bullet trap often. everyone there is friendly and knows most of what they are talking about. as far as CHL i just took mine 2 weeks ago at DFW gun range (off mockingbird). it was a nice range and its a all in one stop. you do everything the same day and it takes about 10 hours. everywhere else i found wanted to do the class and written test then come back another day to do shooting and fingerprints/pictures.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Gun masters sells reloading supplies. gunshots are you best bet locally though. Bullet tap sells some, but their prices are sometime outrageous. Dallas pistol club has god events that are open, like said above.there is a 2 year waiting list for membership. Red river firearms, in sherman has an after hours idpa practice on thursday nights from 7 9. It is worth the drive.
    Dallas target and action shooters have a meet up group that goes to alot of the tiger valley events at elm fork and other places. Good group to join if you want a heads up on upcoming events.

pyrat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Allen, Texas
    I go to Bullet Trap and always enjoy the experience. Frendly, knowledgable helpful folk. Also took the CHL class there and found the insturctor very knowledgeable and informative.

stacyp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I live in Plano and frequent all the DFW shops from time to time. I shoot mostly Long range rifle and pistol. I shoot with friends out to 1000 yds prone in private location but here is my suggestions for now.

Bullet trap is good place. Plenty of people working in the store. Nice updated store and indoor range. Good selection of rifle and pistols. Friendly people. Fair pricing. Did CHL renewal there and Im a frequent shopper.

Gunmasters is right down the same street (AVE K) but beware of the grumpy old man attitude in there. The atmosphere sucks. They have more reloading stuff than bullet trap and more gun parts. I try and not buy from them due to the atitude but sometimes I have to. Gunsmith there with attitude.

DFW gun club on Lemmon at Love Field is a nice range and small store. Some attitude but mostly ok place. Lot of suit and tie guys shooting there.

SAW Guns and ammo in Mesquite/Sunnyvale. Great store, great selection of mostly assault/tactical weapons. Rifles, pistols, suppressors and optics. Small store but packed with good stuff. There is 1 or 2 grumpy salesmen but for the most part good people to deal with. They do have better than average prices. No range but good store and worth the drive from Plano. Find these guys at local gun shows and make better deals. Good place.

In the same area is Texas Star Guns........Dont even bother going. They have a good selection of guns and ammo. Problem is the prices are so high, it seems they want to keep them all. I priced a box of Hornady .40 S&W pistol ammo there for $39 (20 rounds) same ammo at Midway was $19.99. Owner is a grumpy old man. Dont waste your gas or time.

Bass pro in Grapevine has a good selection of reloading stuff. I buy brass there as well as a few other things. I work just down the street so its easy to run over at lunch.

Garland Range is a good place to sight in a large cliber rifle or plink with .22 or shoot pistol Price is OK

Mesquite has a range with 100 and 200 yd rifle and also pistol. Grumpy old man attitude sometimes but overall ok to use.

There is a new range going in north east of Mckinney that I have not been to yet. Its open for business but I cnat think of the name. Shoot out to 600 on steel. Membership required but not sure what the cost is.

S&S in Argyle has most everything for reloading supplies. Its a bit of a drive but worth it.

Good local gunsmith. Gene Williams is in Princeton which is east of Mckinney. About 25 minutes from me in Plano. He is off of 380. He has a good shop at his house. He does very good work and his prices are good. He will turn your work right around. Ive dropped off stuff to him on Sunday several times and had it back on Tuesday. He is slow about working during deer season because he takes off to hunt quite a bit. You will be very satisfaied with his work. He likes to talk so make sure youre not in a hurry to leave. You can reach him at 214-673-5510 (cell)

Hope that helps

Plano Mark

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Plano Texas
    I did my CHL at the Bullet Trap, I have been a member there for 15+ years. Yes, they are very safety conscious. I like it that way. They also have a great gun selection, and reloading. I go to Gunmasters too for stuff, I get hot and cold about them.

Top Bottom