Gun Zone Deals

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That sucker was built outta 30", 1/2" wall pipe. Each leg is buried 36" deep, with 1,000 lbs of concrete in each hole, AND the legs themselves are filled w/concrete just in case some jackleg wants ta try to slide a trailer under it an' cut the legs out. Pit itself weighed in at a tad over 5k lbs, and yeah - the lid counterweights are "Flying Pigs". Built that for the Harley dealership here in New Braunfels.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    That sucker was built outta 30", 1/2" wall pipe. Each leg is buried 36" deep, with 1,000 lbs of concrete in each hole, AND the legs themselves are filled w/concrete just in case some jackleg wants ta try to slide a trailer under it an' cut the legs out. Pit itself weighed in at a tad over 5k lbs, and yeah - the lid counterweights are "Flying Pigs". Built that for the Harley dealership here in New Braunfels.
    shooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwww off that is very very nice my friend!!!!as stated above for the win

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, that's likely the culmination of my pit-building career in terms of size - that one was large enough that it required a forklift to put it all together - hell, the smoker alone weighed in at over 1,200 lbs, IIRC. But.....it WAS fun to build!

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    How big are they

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

The first two will be at 14 weeks, and hopefully come in at 25+

THe next two a few weeks later hopefully get around 30. They've been known to dress out around 35 lbs fully growed.

That's the end of the Big Breasted Whites I have.

Around thanksgiving, I'll have the 5 excess Bourbon Red Toms to harvest. They should be around 16 to 18. That's manageable and fryable.

Next spring, I will take my learning experience this year, and be raising the Bourbons, and will buy 10 to 15 of the BB Whites to raise.

I will be experimenting with rubs, injection, etc... to get a good taste for the chickens and turkeys, since God as decreed that I must avoid too much Beef, seafood, and some others (my most favorite foods) :(

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    The first two will be at 14 weeks, and hopefully come in at 25+

THe next two a few weeks later hopefully get around 30. They've been known to dress out around 35 lbs fully growed.

That's the end of the Big Breasted Whites I have.

Around thanksgiving, I'll have the 5 excess Bourbon Red Toms to harvest. They should be around 16 to 18. That's manageable and fryable.

Next spring, I will take my learning experience this year, and be raising the Bourbons, and will buy 10 to 15 of the BB Whites to raise.

I will be experimenting with rubs, injection, etc... to get a good taste for the chickens and turkeys, since God as decreed that I must avoid too much Beef, seafood, and some others (my most favorite foods) :(
    i have a few

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Looking for a smoker, big enough for two or three 20+ pound turkeys.
    Dang, that would be large... Unless you're going to use it often I'd recommend getting three small smokers instead one large one. Normally I only BBQ for 4 to 6 people at a time so I use my small pit a lot. When I BBQ for for a big party I pull out the cheap little Weber smokers. I've had a pit, two smokers and a grill all going at the same time :cool:

I know people like to poo-poo them, but those cheap little Webers do great. It's more the operator than the equipment.

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    Dang, that would be large... Unless you're going to use it often I'd recommend getting three small smokers instead one large one. Normally I only BBQ for 4 to 6 people at a time so I use my small pit a lot. When I BBQ for for a big party I pull out the cheap little Weber smokers. I've had a pit, two smokers and a grill all going at the same time :cool:

I know people like to poo-poo them, but those cheap little Webers do great. It's more the operator than the equipment.

I will be doing it often. It will be part of my poultry processing. After plucking and cleaning, then I will smoke the turkeys, and some of the chickens for friends, freezing, and canning. I will also fry if requested, as well as fresh (not cooked by me). This year, it will see 10 turkeys, and a bunch of chickens. Next year, the number of turkeys will go up. Next year will also have pork and beef added to it.

I think I've settled on an cheap ($270) electric smoker for a first one to get my feet wet, and the process down. Then, I will re-think the process after next year when I go 'commercial'.

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    For now, we have settled on the Master Forge electic smoker. 4 racks, remove 2, and will hold two turkeys. Digital temp set, timer, and internal meat probe. Easy to add wood chips. On wheels. About the size of a small 'mini' fridge.

I know, I know, electric 'just ain't right'. But hey, it works, smokes real good. Did brisket and fresh corn this weekend, and it tasted great. Great mesquite smoked flavor, and used very little mesquite to get it. This weekend, using applewood, and smoking salmon. The following weekend, our first fresh turkeys.

$279

Not a bad deal.

Top Bottom