• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    First time I shot my 629 (44 magnum) I only loaded 1 round in the cylinder. I have seen pictures of people who shot themselves. I did not find the recoil to be that bad but it is the 8+" barrel and pretty heavy. The laws of physics apply.
    Gun Zone Deals

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    My "oh spit" moment of reality came when I fired my Smith & Wesson model 337 with 158 grain +P in .38 special for the first time.

The model 337 was an AirLite J frame revolver with a scandium frame and titanium cylinder that weighed 11oz. It was THE lightest revolver made then. What a joy to carry. I could drop it down into a bathrobe pocket and forget it was there.
    Right there stamped in the barrel was a warning not to fire a lighter bullet than a 115 or 125 grain, I forget which.

Imagine choking up on an aluminum baseball bat, then swinging it as hard as you can into a telephone pole. That's exactly how my hands felt after one round. I jerked back against a 9lb. trigger pull while still in a painful haze because I couldn't believe how bad it was, and round two was touched off. That's it, I opened the cylinder and NEVER fired it again.

Now, if you can tell me with a straight face that you enjoy this kind of punishment .....

I'd like to just say that two rounds and it was over, but I can't. It took me many rounds over a couple of range sessions to beat the flinch that little revolver put on me.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Full size steel big bore revolvers don’t bother me but my Air weight J-frame with boot grips with 38 plus P makes me flinch and makes my hand go numb after 2 cylinders.

My 856 is steel. Never believed that .38Spl should be fired in anything lighter than a steel-frame. Save the ultralight frames for .22Mag snubs....

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    My 856 is steel. Never believed that .38Spl should be fired in anything lighter than a steel-frame. Save the ultralight frames for .22Mag snubs....
    When I was a kid my dad would tell me "this is gonna hurt me more than it will you" right before he laid the wood to my backside.

With that 337, I'd have to tell the same thing to the bad guy before I busted a cap on him.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I was surprised when I first shot my Shield 45 acp, short barrel and all. No real recoil for me. Now my first gun was a 12 gauge single shot Rossi, that will bruise my shoulder every time. Don't have it anymore. Sawed the barrel down and sold it around the corner. NOT. But did get rid of it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Y'all have any issues? I was thinking about people shying away from guns because of it, but I honestly don't think about it anymore. When I first started shooting a lot, mitchinTx(RIP) handed me a .44 mag. Oh - I felt that - loved it. Bought a couple of .44 mag revolvers since. Worst one for me was a .500 mag shooting a trash can load - 700g or something - hurt my wrist for a week. I was probably gripping it too hard, and not letting it recoil naturally. Never got the hang of birds-head revolvers...

Rifles - I shoot a lot of intermediate cartridges - .223, 6.5 Grendel's, 7.62x39, there's a different jump up from those to what I'd call "full power" cartridges. Shooting a .308, etc. (7.5x55 Swiss with a steel butt plate is fun) doesn't bother me anymore I suppose because i'm used to it.

Thoughts? When I take newbs to the range, I bring a heavy barreled & stocked .223, it's like shooting a .22 lr, but more impressive.
    EVERYBODY REACTS TO RECOIL DIFFWERENTLY!

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I used to shy away from heavy recoil. Now I keep it to a minimum due to the fact that my shoulder isn’t what it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    Note to self, wake up before reading posts. It took caffeine to figure out what you meant.

As to recoil, in my youth I was a handgun recoil whore. The harder it recoiled the more I loved it. Accuracy was not affected. Much later on in life that isn't the case. I can still shoot my 6.5" PowerPort 629 but it carries reduced power reloads.

I wised up and figured you don't need all that power to get the job done with the right bullet application.

Rifles are 308 and below. If it is to much, muzzle breaks are a wonder in technology. I did shoot a Remington rolling block in 50-70 Government a few weeks ago. That was a way cool shooting experience.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My "oh spit" moment of reality came when I fired my Smith & Wesson model 337 with 158 grain +P in .38 special for the first time.

The model 337 was an AirLite J frame revolver with a scandium frame and titanium cylinder that weighed 11oz. It was THE lightest revolver made then. What a joy to carry. I could drop it down into a bathrobe pocket and forget it was there.
    Right there stamped in the barrel was a warning not to fire a lighter bullet than a 115 or 125 grain, I forget which.

Imagine choking up on an aluminum baseball bat, then swinging it as hard as you can into a telephone pole. That's exactly how my hands felt after one round. I jerked back against a 9lb. trigger pull while still in a painful haze because I couldn't believe how bad it was, and round two was touched off. That's it, I opened the cylinder and NEVER fired it again.

Now, if you can tell me with a straight face that you enjoy this kind of punishment .....

I'd like to just say that two rounds and it was over, but I can't. It took me many rounds over a couple of range sessions to beat the flinch that little revolver put on me.
    Don't shoot a Ruger Alaskan in .480 then.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    My only heavy hitter is a 7mm WSM and it could definitely put a hurt on you after a few rounds. It wouldn't be that bad but it's a lightweight model 70 mountain rifle. My 280 Remington is a lot more tolerable. My 20" Rossi in 45 Colt would probably be more pleasant if it didn't have a steel butt cap on it. With that stock you better find the sweet spot on your shoulder or it will let you know you screwed up.

My regular range guns are 308s, x39s and 223s. Can shoot them plenty and walk away unphased. Also pistols like 44mag and 50ae are just past my limit for having fun. I'll never own either. The colt 45s and autos I have are heavy enough to be no bother. My GF has a smith air weight and shooting it is like holding a firecracker.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I’m no fan of recoil.
    I mostly shoot .410 and some 28ga.
    When I shoot 12ga it’s either 1 ounce or 7/8 ounce load.
    My go to 12ga is a heavy 32” Browning Citori Trap with a Gracoil recoil reducer.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My 20 gauge single shot Revelation shotgun is more painful to shoot than my 12 gauge Mossberg 590A1.

My WWII 8mm Mauser is painful to shoot from a bench rest but not from a standing position.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2022
    East Texas
    I don't like recoil, because I like flat shooting guns. Handgun shooting isn't my strong suit as is, I don't need to handicap myself by adding unnecessary recoil / muzzle flip.

I don't care for the snappiness of .40 S&W or .357 Sig in general, and prefer .45ACP if I go bigger than 9mm.

I was out in the desert yesterday shooting my Glock 27, 23 and 22. The 22 and 23 are of the Gen5 versions, while the 27 is gen3. The recoil felt from a .40, especially out of a gen5 is nothing. The term “snappy” has been so over used and repeated ad nauseam.

Try shooting a .40 out of a Gen5 Glock 22 and you’ll never go back to a +P 9mm or .45 AARP ever again.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I was out in the desert yesterday shooting my Glock 27, 23 and 22. The 22 and 23 are of the Gen5 versions, while the 27 is gen3. The recoil felt from a .40, especially out of a gen5 is nothing. The term “snappy” has been so over used and repeated ad nauseam.

Try shooting a .40 out of a Gen5 Glock 22 and you’ll never go back to a +P 9mm or .45 AARP ever again.

Hard pass. I've owned multiple copies of the Glock 22, I have no desire to own another. I also have no desire to own any Gen 5 glocks, as the Gen 4 is "perfection" as far as Glocks go. I'm not left handed so I don't need right side controls, and I actually prefer the Glock finger grooves to the straight grip. The "Glock performance trigger" is meh. There is no magic Glock can do that will make the .40 less snappy than a 9mm or a .45ACP - the recoil impulse of the .40 in every platform I've tried it in is more snappy and more twisting than either of the other calibers - the only one that is less pleasant to shoot is the .357 Sig which just feels like a little worse .40SW recoil impulse. Top it off - the Gen 5 .40's don't fit holsters for the Gen 4 or earlier, because in Glock's efforts to re-engineer the gen 5 for the .40, they had to give it the ol' .45 GAP treatment of a fatter, wider, heavier slide that requires purchasing all new holsters, so it wouldn't even fit any of my current holsters.

The ONLY thing I'd have use for the .357 Sig version for is to throw a compensator on it and play with it, but I have 3 9mm Glocks and I could do the same to one of them for less cash outlay and still wind up with a flatter shooting gun with greater capacity and cheaper ammo costs still.

I would just as soon get the 10mm Glock if I were to buy a gun with harsher recoil impulse, because the 10mm can be driven to much more potent loads than the .40SW. My interest in a 10mm Glock at this point would be for woods carry as a defensive gun against mountain lions or wild dogs, and since I don't live in or near the mountains anymore, the need for such a gun is nil. The Glock 40 would be my pick in that genre if I ever did bother to get a "big bore" Glock again. I've owned a G20SF before and it was ok but I still prefer the G21SF over the 20.

The only Gen 5 glock that really interests me is their new G49, because I like the longer slide on a compact frame - but again, I can accomplish that with an aftermarket slide for my G19 already for less cash.

RaySendero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2020
    US South
    I am not a fan of PAIN, yet I have met shooters that are.
    They are a "special case" that I do not understand nor will try to explain!

Now for handguns, the recoil issue I have is controllability for follow up shots.
    I find the 38 Spl+p in ultra lights just isn't controllable. I'm OK going up in caliber until I tried shooting a 50 Desert Eagle.
    In between the extremes, I find that I can best shoot a heavier handgun that has a longer sight radius.
    My favorite that I shoot the best is a long slide 45 acp.
    Both of these qualities of weight and size can hamper carry, concealed carry and fighting ability in real close quarters like for example having to defend while siting in a vehicle.
    So there is the handgun quandary. You will need to solve this one for yourself.

For rifles,
    My number 1 rule on managing hunting rifle recoil is to just use an appropriate caliber.
    For example my favorite deer rifles are bolt action 270W.
    I also find recoil of a few rifles just don't seam follow the momentum science?!
    I have run into a 30-06 and a 300W that hurt more that some African calibers?!
    So number 2 rule is to replace steel butt plates.
    And if more recoil management is needed wear an EVO shield tee-shirt.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I probably won't get another 44mag. I used to have a Ruger Vaquero that was brutal with 44mag. It was pleasant to shoot with cowboy action 44spl but those were expensive. Today I don't mind shooting full power 357mag out of my 2 N-frame Smiths but won't shoot 357mag out of a snubby.

Blackhawk in 44 for the win.

Top Bottom