• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I always ask if someone wants their brass and if I've got some I don't want to lug home I normally ask if anyone wants it. I've had someone start grabbing my brass as it hit the ground and just politely told them that I didn't mind if they were to collect my brass but I'd appreciate if they asked first.
    Hurley's Gold

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    There are two rangers here in the Dallas area that claim removal of any brass this is not yours is theft. I do reload but will not leave with any more brass than what I brought. I asked the proprietor why the claim theft. Turns out, this one particular range recycles the brass and it draws income. At the other range, an outdoor range, they send the brass off for reloading and resale (marked as reloads at a discounted price).

Both ranges make allowances for reloaders like myself but frown on the "range rats" of which you speak. I use a very particular brand of brass which clearly marks their logo. I am one of three people I know that use that brand of brass and I know the other two people. One of them taught me the art of reloading and the other is his friend of many years.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Obviously the young ones have no sense of range etiquette. It's likely that they are just havin' fun helping out their dad or whoever. None the less that does NOT make it OK. One thing I do appreciate about my local range(Eagle Peak), all the kiddos have to remain within an arms reach of their parents(range rules). If there are any kids around they're usually hanging out right by their parents, the way it should be. When I tell folks that I reload, they typically offer their brass to me(mostly friendly types at Eagle Peak) without my asking. I would have started to freak out after the first clip if I noticed someone else taking my brass. Also, as a general rule, I only accept known once-fired factory brass. I have a few pieces of brass out there that have seen some serious action. Some of them could even be dangerous to reload again. Why would you just grab anyones cases ?, that is just plain stupid as well as disrespectful. Overall you handled it well, I'd say.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    There are two rangers here in the Dallas area that claim removal of any brass this is not yours is theft. I do reload but will not leave with any more brass than what I brought. I asked the proprietor why the claim theft. Turns out, this one particular range recycles the brass and it draws income. At the other range, an outdoor range, they send the brass off for reloading and resale (marked as reloads at a discounted price).

Both ranges make allowances for reloaders like myself but frown on the "range rats" of which you speak. I use a very particular brand of brass which clearly marks their logo. I am one of three people I know that use that brand of brass and I know the other two people. One of them taught me the art of reloading and the other is his friend of many years.

First thought is: Theft from whom? the person who abandoned it? or from the range that assumes it is theirs once it hits the ground?

However, I am glad the ranges 'make allowances' for picking up your own brass.... kind of like folgers letting you keep the can after you use the coffee.

I don't understand the thinking of walking up behind someone with a firearm and grabbing their brass without talking to them first....... I can kind of see kids doing it, but then again, if my grandkids are out of arms reach while I am at the range.... something is wrong.
    When I take kids to the range, I usually do not shoot, I am there to teach and to watch them.

First rule I taught them at the range: Do not touch anything that we did not bring with us.

ETA: I did shoot at a Dallas range one time with a friend that had a new XD and 2 boxes of winchester .40 value packs.
    The range people didn't say I couldn't pick up our brass, just made it clear that they would be happy to clean it up for us.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I shoot at Eagle Peak as well and like I said earlier I only keep my 30-06 brass anything else is going on the ground. I have gladly offered my spent .40 brass to many a re loaders at the pistol bench but I haven't ever even been asked at the rifle bench. Maybe that's cause I pic them up and put them back in the box after I fire a shot group. LOL.

Torchrider

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Central Texas
    This is one reason (not only reason) I no longer shoot at Reds in Pfleugerville. They had an employee who would not stop sweeping up my brass, even after I asked him to stop. I even told the management and they said that brass on the floor becomes the property of the range and that the employee cant distinguish my brass from others. Never been back since.

JesseCJC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I never pick up any pistol brass other than my own when I shoot indoors. I do frequent ASC here in Houston though and use my back pack as a brass catcher due to the fact I had someone actually reach under my table while I was firing. I went so far as to step on their hands and ask what they were doing as it was not only a safety issue but extremely rude. I make sure and ask those next to me who are there just to shoot if I may pick up some of their brass if they have no use for it. More often than not, they will even help me pick a few up. I just can't bring myself to running around like crazy with a box in one hand and shoveling in brass with the other.

Rabies

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Texas
    The first shooting range I went to was an indoor range. I brought a Marlin .22. When I got there, there were no spent cases on the floor. So, naturally, I assumed people had to pick up their own. How else would there be none on the floor? I was the only shooter there the whole time and picked up my empties when I was done. The range officer didn't say a word.

Next time out, same thing. Except there was another shooter there. He was a few stalls down and our cases didn't mix. I picked up mine and the range officer didn't say a word.

The next time, it was busy. Still thinking I had to pick up my own, I went about doing it. Some guy walked off the line and came back with the range officer. He was telling him I was the one going around picking up stuff off the floor. He seemed ticked about it. The range officer laughed and said he saw me do it twice that month and thought it was funny so he never told me the range swept up after people.

on me.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I rarely shoot at Carters Country, but I was shooting there one day and the range officer came through with (an admittedly cool) roller device that picks up all the brass. I told the guy that I reload and he apologized, then did his best to go around my area.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I shoot almost every weekend at Elm Fork here in Dallas. The Range Officiers know that I reload and if the range is not too busy they will often pick-up my brass and bring it to me. I really appreciate this gesture. Something I have not seen discussed here is the safety issue with picking up unknown brass. I keep track of the number of times I reload a case. This makes me pick up mostly brass that I know I shot. If I see people shoot new quality ammo and don't appear to want their brass, I will ask them if I can have it. As far as the kids go, that is a lack of parental education about range rules. We all know kids don't think past their nose. To me kids milling around on the range is a safety issue.I enjoy see Dads bring their kids to the range. I think it is important for kids to understand firearms and the impact of what they do if there are firearms in the house. My daughter and I didn't have any common activity to share as she grew up. I did the choir, softball, cheerleading things with her, but it was as a visitor. Now that she is grown and married to a Marine, we have found shooting to be something we both like and share as equals. It has caused a little discord between her and her husband. She out shoots him when we go to the range. She likes to razz him about it. His weapon of choice is his 777 Howitzer. Argument over!!

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    I shoot almost every weekend at Elm Fork here in Dallas. The Range Officiers know that I reload and if the range is not too busy they will often pick-up my brass and bring it to me. I really appreciate this gesture. Something I have not seen discussed here is the safety issue with picking up unknown brass. I keep track of the number of times I reload a case. This makes me pick up mostly brass that I know I shot. If I see people shoot new quality ammo and don't appear to want their brass, I will ask them if I can have it. As far as the kids go, that is a lack of parental education about range rules. We all know kids don't think past their nose. To me kids milling around on the range is a safety issue.I enjoy see Dads bring their kids to the range. I think it is important for kids to understand firearms and the impact of what they do if there are firearms in the house. My daughter and I didn't have any common activity to share as she grew up. I did the choir, softball, cheerleading things with her, but it was as a visitor. Now that she is grown and married to a Marine, we have found shooting to be something we both like and share as equals. It has caused a little discord between her and her husband. She out shoots him when we go to the range. She likes to razz him about it. His weapon of choice is his 777 Howitzer. Argument over!!

I kind of disagree with this.
    Kids roaming around is lack of parenting and I agree with you it's a safety concern.
    When I take the grandkids they are not allowed out of arms reach. (and never allowed to pick up brass)
    However, kids going around picking up brass is probably something dad has taught them to do.
    So, I don't blame the kids for that, I blame the parent.

Lucky for me I shoot at a country range where I am usually alone (I go on weekdays) and if the brass is lying on the ground, I figure it has been abandoned.
    I usually only pick up pistol brass since I have no way of knowing how many times its been fired.
    OTOH, Mondays after they have had CC classes usually leaves a lot of primo pistol brass. ;)
    (Lots of .38spl.)

Top Bottom