• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    :banghead: I was at a shooting range the other day, and some fella was there with several of his teenage kids. During the ceasefire, he was pawing through the dirt looking for brass and telling anyone who'd listen that they were worth 4 cents each. I make it a point to try to stay out of other's business, so I didn't pay a lot of attention.

After the range went 'hot', I kept getting the feeling that someone was watching me. Looked back while I was reloading and the guy's kid's were watching me. As I shot, they were snagging the brass and putting into a bucket he brought with him. As a reloader, that really hacked me off! Have people completely lost any sense of decency??

During the next ceasefire, he walked by my bench and actually picked up several shells off of it! At that point, I'd had enough and confronted him - as politely as I could. He handed over the brass and left me alone.

My theory is that his parents didn't beat him nearly enough and that now it's entirely too late for that to do any good.

What do you say to these range rats?
    Gun Zone Deals

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I think you did the right thing. I try to leave with what I brought. No more, no less. I refill each 50 ct. box with 50 brass cases. Any extra is the ranges. Further more, even if the range doesn't have a problem with you picking up a little extra brass, it is unbelievably rude to take it from someone else. He doesn't know you from Adam and therfore has no clue whether you too want to save your brass. I think your theory is probably fairly accurate, as some people only look after their own interests and care nothing for their fellow man.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I would have stuck my boot up his @$$ withouts saying a word. Then i would have taken my brass back. but if he was talking about 4 cents each he was probably selling them as scrap not even reloading, especially if he was taking all types and calibers. The only time i leave with more brass than i came with is when i make a deal with someone and they agree to collect their own brass and then bring it to me before they leave.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I would have spoken w/him just as you did - and mention him to the RO as well. Things like that can cause confrontations. When I'm at the range and someone next to me is shootin' factory loads and doesn't reload, I see no issue with askin' them if they mind if you collect their brass.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I'm a reloader and a brass whore but I ask all around me if they want their brass. If so I take only what I shoot and leave the rest.
    Consideration is key.
    I've had the same type deal occur as the OP and I am quick to let that person or persons know I want my brass.

TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    I think you handled it well.

Like TexasRedneck mentioned, reloaders can do well by asking somebody that's shooting factory loads. Since I don't reload (yet), I happily helped a guy get my brass the one time I was asked about it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    One of the ranges I frequent, there's an older retired guy that reloads, scrounges old brass, etc.. Others that know him told me he's a retiree that loves to shoot, but can barely afford to do so. Found out he shoots .45, so my last trip out I took along a coupla boxes of cast SWC's an' 1k of primers an' once-shot cases. Told the range owner to give it to him when he checked out, and to keep quiet about who left it. So sometimes, there's reasons not obvious as to why folks are pickin' up casings. Then again, he never tried to pick up any of my cases - but he'd search his line for a LONG time makin' sure he got all of his (which is what drew my attention to him in the first place).

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    For sure that is bad form to pick up someones brass unless you've given the okay. I currently don't reload, but I've been picking up MY .45 brass when I can. I'm not anal about getting every last case back, and usually just grab what I know is mine, and within easy reach. I've had a few guys that where obviously reloaders ask if I wanted my spent cases, and since I'm only picking it up because I MIGHT start reloading at some point, if they're nice about it, I let them have it.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I am learning to reload so I keep my brass, however if a re-loader asks, they can have it, if they don't ask I flat out tell them it's mine and thank them for picking it up for me.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I pick up my 30-06 brass but that's it right now. I don't shoot pistols enough to make reloading worth it. If I'm asked what I'm shooting and the guy mentioned reloading for that caliber I'll let them pick it up. I've never had a little scrounger like that at EP but they are there mainly on the pistol range.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Once while at the Sharpshooter in Corpus there was a group of security guards re/qualifying and when they were done and thought the range was emtpy (my buddy was still in there, I walked out) he said he heard the brass tub making lots of noise looked over to see them rumaging through the tub takin stuff, I walked in as theyt were and they stopped. I reminded them they were on camera and they had an oh sh@t look on their faces

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Navyguy said -

For sure that is bad form to pick up someones brass unless you've given the okay. I currently don't reload, but I've been picking up MY .45 brass when I can. I'm not anal about getting every last case back, and usually just grab what I know is mine, and within easy reach. I've had a few guys that where obviously reloaders ask if I wanted my spent cases, and since I'm only picking it up because I MIGHT start reloading at some point, if they're nice about it, I let them have it.​

You are very friendly about it and thank you Navy; I owe you a few loaded rounds for your kindness.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I would have said the samething. I dont like being watched as I shoot either, thats why I dont go to shooting ranges anymore and just shoot at the farm. Now I have a question, last time I was at Red's(back 4 years go) they said do not pick up any brass on the floor and stay in your booth. Is that still the way it is?

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would have said the samething. I dont like being watched as I shoot either, thats why I dont go to shooting ranges anymore and just shoot at the farm. Now I have a question, last time I was at Red's(back 4 years go) they said do not pick up any brass on the floor and stay in your booth. Is that still the way it is?

There are completely new people for the most part at the Red's ... both South and North. I don't see why they would prohibit you from picking up your brass. I know at the South store, I'll even dig through the bucket to replace the ones that go over the bench, find rare brass at night and give it to them when they come in, keep rare brass for customers I know that shoot it, etc. I'd like to think people appreciate it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I shot around 150 rounds, recovered 15. And most of them were after I spoke to the scrounger.

I'm pretty careful about picking up brass at any range. I know the age of my rounds, but I don't know how many times someone else's cases may have been reloaded. If someone is shooting factory rounds and they leave it behind, well, that's fair game. More than once I've talked to a neighboring shooter during cease fire and asked if he reloads. Gotten some nice brass and empty boxes that way.

If he had picked up a few of my rounds, I wouldn't have let it bother me one second. But to have his kids stand behind me and pick up brass as it hits the ground - no class!!

As for the RO, it was a busy day and there were plenty of brand new factory gun boxes on the range, so he was busy enough watching them. (And rightly so.)

ddcarter3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Katy, TX
    Nice, very nice! Wish more people payed attention.
    One of the ranges I frequent, there's an older retired guy that reloads, scrounges old brass, etc.. Others that know him told me he's a retiree that loves to shoot, but can barely afford to do so. Found out he shoots .45, so my last trip out I took along a coupla boxes of cast SWC's an' 1k of primers an' once-shot cases. Told the range owner to give it to him when he checked out, and to keep quiet about who left it. So sometimes, there's reasons not obvious as to why folks are pickin' up casings. Then again, he never tried to pick up any of my cases - but he'd search his line for a LONG time makin' sure he got all of his (which is what drew my attention to him in the first place).

Top Bottom