• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    can you tell me what causes a thread to become locked - example the frisco finest thread?

I think it spawned some good discussion, and some idiot responses, but being fairly new to the site am not clear why some threads (not this one specific) in general get locked for comments?

Thanks - and please, if your not an admin or moderator and have a smart-ass response, whisper it under your breath and not here. It's not easy to run a large scale forum.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Threads are locked for many reasons and at the discretion of the moderator. Sometimes they are spiraling downhill into a brawl and it's best to close them. Sometimes they are closed temporarily, cleaned up, and reopened.

It's not a terribly exact science and I am sure we make a few mistakes. Personally I try not to close a thread unless it has just gone to hell.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm sitting here chuckling. It's exactly like High-Cap said. I didn't even look at the thread, but just the title had me thinking it would be a thread that would end badly...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well there are a few reasons:

-Original topic or thread intent has gotten so far off track it won't get back on
    -Lots of name calling and personal attacks
    -Thread topics that are unnecessarily controversial and a liability
    -Spam or vendors that aren't sponsors violating site advertisement rules
    -Cluttering up the forum with useless stuff
    -Thread direction gives the site staff the appearance of going downhill quickly

There are probably more than that I can't think of right now. Basically, we want to keep the forum from becoming like some of the others some of us have been involved with over the years. Here are some of the many problems several of us have seen with other forums over the years, and what we'd like to avoid:

-Extremely restrictive and oppressive rules
    -Complaints, and infractions on grammar and punctuation. As adults, we should do that ourselves already, but it doesn't serve much purpose making people's lives hell over it.
    -Vendor/Sponsor bias by site staff to the point of becoming inflammatory towards anyone else
    -Forum becoming cluttered with countless threads of meaningless BS
    -Threads being out of place and disorganized
    -Excessively vulgar or explicit text or pictures. Many of us need to get a curse word off once in awhile, hey we're adults, big deal. There's no need to make it every other word of a sentence though, and it should not be directed at another user. All things done in moderation as they say.

Don't even get me started on problems with the classifieds! ;)

One of the main reasons Alan and I created TGT is we wanted to have a place that was dynamic and not stagnant like so many other sites. A place where people could feel free to and encouraged to participate and post on just about anything, for the most part, relevant to firearms and related subjects. We also wanted to provide various services through this to help the community, such as providing a centralized area for Texans to organize events, people to have questions answered, classifieds to help people sell their stuff, local support groups for anything and everything, etc. Most important is to have fun, which is something some other forums completely forget.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    One of the main reasons Alan and I created TGT is we wanted to have a place that was dynamic and not stagnant like so many other sites. A place where people could feel free to and encouraged to participate and post on just about anything, for the most part, relevant to firearms and related subjects. We also wanted to provide various services through this to help the community, such as providing a centralized area for Texans to organize events, people to have questions answered, classifieds to help people sell their stuff, local support groups for anything and everything, etc. Most important is to have fun, which is something some other forums completely forget.

This is exactly why I enjoy TGT so much. Whatever you guys do, don't change it.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    One of the main reasons Alan and I created TGT
    Yeah we know, and we all saw the pic.......
    lol.gif

awkward-fat-man-boner.jpg

and where ever did you get those green shorts Sig?

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Aw man. I was just messin' with ya!

This site IS the best though! That's no "ego stroking" BS, either!
    They keep it fun, and only really intervene when, as they said, it's about to turn into an all out brawl.

We all love ya, Skeet!

Well, some may not exactly "love" you, but they think you've got a great personality.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    can you tell me what causes a thread to become locked - example the frisco finest thread?

I think it spawned some good discussion, and some idiot responses, but being fairly new to the site am not clear why some threads (not this one specific) in general get locked for comments?

I locked that particular thread because it became a polar argument. That's why we don't allow religion, it's too polar of a topic to really discuss from my experience. Once you develop that polarity in the arguments it really turns into a pissing match between people, and that's where that thread was already headed so I locked it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We've had numerous threads about contacting the Administrators and whining. Guys, when a guy like Skeeter whups it on you for taking a Libtard stand, please suck it up and quit bitching to the admin. The admin here keeps a lid on things here without being jerks about it. TGT is a unique place in that regard.

I got banned from the 1911 site because I didn't like the Greek guys rules so I politely asked him to remove me from membership. He removed me all right and kept sending me notices about being BANNED!.............DURATION...............FOREVER. Forever? Crap! I was glad to get outta there!

So...we have a good place here if the guys don't keep ragging on the mods by continually whining. If you get swatted by Skeeter or someone else, turn the box "OFF" and go watch TV instead of pissing off the Mods.

Flash

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i'm an admin on another forum (non gun related) and sometimes you go with your gut feeling - rarely are many very happy about it

i've only been here a short time - but think the site is pretty well moderated/ran/etc

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Im an Administrator on another gun related forum. We dont have any problem, none what so ever.
    The only thread's that ever get messed with on there are the one's I screwed up and hit the wrong button. Hell, we got school teachers, Marines, air force, Army , navy, Rednecks, lawyers, cops, postal workers, gas processing people, and who knows what else. I think the major difference is "conservitive" values. Everybody on there is far Right Conservitive.

Top Bottom