Gun Zone Deals

Question: Best Shooting Range around San Antonio?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tovaris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    San Antonio
    What's the best shooting range in or around San Antonio. I have been driving out to Bracken but would like to find a new place. I've heard Bexar Community Range is good and reasonably priced. Any other recommendations? FYI I mostly use 7, 15, 25 yards pistol.
    Gun Zone Deals

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Bexar is good. I like Cedar Ridge in Bulverde as well. Weekdays are best there, but I suppose that is the rule for most ranges. There are other good ones, that is just my own personal first choice.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I like Bexar.
    You can set your distance by moving the target stand.
    Not limited by "first shooter sets the distance".

No nazis either.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Search the threads in this section of the forum, there has been numerous discussions on ranges.

Unfortunately, my new favorite range is a private one down near Jourdanton. I still love Camp Bullis, but you have to have a DoD ID card to shoot there (guests are now allowed). They also considerably raised their prices last year. :(

I still steer clear of the Bullet Hole. Too many bad experiences there to ever encourage me to go back.

I have yet to go to Nardis' indoor range, but I work with someone who loves it!

Cheers! M2

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Bullet Hole is fine as long as you get a private bay, they leave you alone, and you can move and shoot. Only really down side is, youcanet the private bay for two hours.

Bexar is great with good folks that run it.

Cedar Ridge is also good.

Nardis indoor range is nice, depending when you go, it can be crowded.

A place to shoot is also functional as well

bignic83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    West of San Antone
    I have had a good experience at Nardis, but like Greg said it can get crowded at times.

Last weekend I visited Lone Star Handguns in Converse. Very nice range. Went out to 300 yards. Mostly steel though. Wasn't thrilled with the handgun range as I was hit with ricochets off the steel targets. Definitely liked the rifle range though. They are building a 600 yard range that will be open in about two months (So I was told).

tovaris

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2015
    San Antonio
    Thanks everyone. Lone Star sounds particularly interesting since I never shot steel targets. (But then again getting hit by ricochets sounds painful) I'll also checkout Cedar Creek and Bexar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Last weekend I visited Lone Star Handguns in Converse. Very nice range. Went out to 300 yards. Mostly steel though. Wasn't thrilled with the handgun range as I was hit with ricochets off the steel targets. Definitely liked the rifle range though. They are building a 600 yard range that will be open in about two months (So I was told).

I haven't heard about them. Looks interesting.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Thanks everyone. Lone Star sounds particularly interesting since I never shot steel targets. (But then again getting hit by ricochets sounds painful) I'll also checkout Cedar Creek and Bexar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI - it is very common to be hit by ricochets while shooting steel. They don't really hurt as they are just fragments. Best thing I can relate it to is imagine someone throwing a little pebble at you from your target distance. No big deal.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    Agree on the fragments on steel, no biggie but always have eyes on. One caution, steel should be AR500, very hard. Softer steel can crater and potentially cause the bullet to return to the shooter.

Sasigarmorer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2015
    Been going to Cedar Ridge since it was a private club named La Paloma. The guy that runs it is a sketchy ex-SAPD officer (he was fired) who's just...off. He's the kind of guy that you'd think "well, that figures" after hearing he committed some heinous crime. It's a nice range, though, even if no NFA items are allowed, which is odd since he's so vehemently anti-government.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just read this on the Cedar Ridge site:

ALL SHOTGUN VENUES are now permanently closed. We wish to thank all shotgun shooters for their prior patronage.

We now allow use of suppressors/silencers & short barreled rifles,
    all other NFA items are still banned.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Been going to Cedar Ridge since it was a private club named La Paloma. The guy that runs it is a sketchy ex-SAPD officer (he was fired) who's just...off. He's the kind of guy that you'd think "well, that figures" after hearing he committed some heinous crime. It's a nice range, though, even if no NFA items are allowed, which is odd since he's so vehemently anti-government.

This.
    Decent enough range but almost every time I've over there there is some kind of minor issue that results in threats of being thrown off the property.
    Dietz is just down the road and never had an issue there.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    This.
    Decent enough range but almost every time I've over there there is some kind of minor issue that results in threats of being thrown off the property.
    Dietz is just down the road and never had an issue there.

That's because I call ahead and tell them to mess with you!!! :laughing:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Personally I have been going to Bracken since I moved to Texas. Until lone Star opened it was the closest to my house.

Bexar comm. Range kinda scared me as the pistol shooters are all very close to each other (bumping elbows) and there were several with VERY bad muzzle discipline.

Deitz was a great place I really liked it there but its about 45 minutes away and Bracken is only 15....

Bracken is limited to 7 & 15 yard pistol and 50/100 yard rifles. They do have a ccw lane dedicated to training and practice where you can draw and shoot. The place itself is kinda geared more towards beginners and is slightly annoying at times but safe enough I take my daughters there. They have seen me there enough that they leave me alone now and know that I know my stuff. The price is OK but they charge you per gun so if you're bringing several pistols only tell them 2 and then only have 2 out at once 0:-)

I might have to try lone Star this weekend though.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I should also point out that some of the more annoying things about Bracken are the guys who show up with a 1500$ AR and three buddies, then sit at the 50 yard line and can't group to save their lives....

Sometimes it looks like they might as well have been using a shotgun!

Top Bottom