Target Sports

Put on Yer Tin Foil Caps: Are we using UFO technology?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just in case, I keep Slim Whitman on my playlist.

AmusedEuphoricHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif

Attachments

• AmusedEuphoricHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif
      AmusedEuphoricHochstettersfrog-size_restricted.gif
      3 MB · Views: 273

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    The entire article from the OP was misinformed clabtrap.
    The authors spent a paragraph contrasting the two and I think they did a fair job. But, then, I am not a nuclear physicist. And I doubt that you are, as well. It's really more about the salient features (benefits and risks) of each, anyway. If they can make working fusion reactors small enough to fit in shipping containers, that could mean something to our future.

And what is "clabtrap"? I am reminded of the scene in Princess Bride where Iniglio Montoya says "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means."

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    We're the trailer park of the cosmos. Nobody wants to come here and they all fly by saying "look at that shit hole"

Perhaps.

More accurately....other than the thin veneer, a few hundred feet at the most, where life resides on the surface of out "Pale Blue Dot" there is nary a shred of evidence of any other life in our universe. Hundreds of thousands of trillions of stars and with planets are likely. Is it likely that we are alone and unique. Or maybe that supposition is wrong.

Earth: The one place, so far as we know, that self replicating collections of complex molecules have spontaneously appeared and evolved to wonder where we came from .
    We muse about wether there is some semblance of a purpose for our being!

When I'm king Sagan will be required reading.

HKS

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Funny, the guys at work told me to watch Joe Rogan's podcast with Cmmdr. Farvor and that led me to the podcast with Lazar which describes most of these exact things........(cue Twilight Zone music)

They were very interesting podcasts.

I go back to the sheer number of sightings, stories, artwork, and other accounts over a large span of time. Way too much there to dismiss this stuff out of hand. We are not alone.

Are “they” from “outer space”? Are they inter-dimensional? Are they demonic?

Hard/impossible to know, but by all accounts from the vans number of witnesses, they have abilities/powers/technology that will walk through whatever resistance we might put up if they really want to take over this rock.

Lots of folks like to dismiss UFO/Alien/Demonic/Bigfoot encounters as crazy because of the folks who come out as witnesses, but have you considered that when “learned professionals” experience this stuff, that they keep their mouth closed because of the stigma and ridicule they know they will receive?

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Perhaps.

More accurately....other than the thin veneer, a few hundred feet at the most, where life resides on the surface of out "Pale Blue Dot" there is nary a shred of evidence of any other life in our universe. Hundreds of thousands of trillions of stars and with planets are likely. Is it likely that we are alone and unique. Or maybe that supposition is wrong.

Earth: The one place, so far as we know, that self replicating collections of complex molecules have spontaneously appeared and evolved to wonder where we came from .
    We muse about wether there is some semblance of a purpose for our being!
    HKS

That is delusional, self centered thinking. I exist, therefore there has to be a purpose to my existence, or god or coincidence wouldn't have bothered!

There's trillions upon trillions of stars, worlds without end, and why would life spring up on only one of them. Even here, life evolved in the most hellish places. We might not even recognize alien life, and the distances are so huge, we might never encounter it.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Perhaps.

We're kind of on the edge between the second (population II) and third (population I) generations of stars (the first generation is theorized and well supported by indirect evidence, but nobody has found one IIRC). As you might remember from basic stellar dynamics, only supernovae synthesize elements heavier than iron. And significant mass is necessary for a supernova, usually provided by a large amount of more massive matter than hydrogen and helium.

Briefly, "normal" stars that don't die spectacularly eat hydrogen and make helium, stars that go nova eat hydrogen and make helium and smaller amounts of everything up to iron, and stars that go supernova eat hydrogen and make helium and smaller amounts of everything up to uranium. The main difference between them is mass. More mass means it's more likely to make a bigger boom. It's a lot more complicated than that, but that's the general idea. Stars are more likely to be able to accumulate the mass they need to go nova or supernova if they have more mass, which is more likely to be done in a stable fashion if there are smaller amounts of heavier stuff. So a star that's just hydrogen is not very likely to go nova or supernova. A star that is hydrogen with some heavier stuff up through iron might go nova but probably not supernova. A star that has hydrogen with some even heavier stuff in it might have a significant chance of making a supernova. Planetary formation also seems to require some heavier elements in the accretion disc (the stuff that spins together to make a star).

Well according to the current mainstream theories, after the big bang, there wasn't much out there but hydrogen. That eventually got together and made the first generation stars, about 300 million years after the big bang. Those stars were small, hot, and short-lived, and very unlikely to go supernova. Some did go supernova, and were apparently really cool, but it was very rare. After that, there were lots of clouds of stuff containing small amounts of elements as heavy as iron. The second generation of stars started growing out of that, and stood a much greater chance of going supernova. Most of them started forming around 2-3 billion years post big bang. Now the universe has a small but significant amount of stuff heavier than iron (including important stuff like copper, nickel, and zinc). The third generation of stars got built out of those leftovers, and that's most of what we see near us. Those mostly started forming around 8 billion years PBB.

The point of all that is that it is not very likely that there were planets around the first generation of stars, and only somewhat more likely that there were planets around the second generation, but not enough heavier elements necessary for any kind of life. So you'd need about eight or nine billion years after the big bang, and then another billion years for the star to form, the planets to form around it, and it all to have a chance at cooling off enough for very simple life to come around. Then you let it cook for another three or four billion years and you get complex and possibly intelligent life. So while you may hear that the universe is fourteen billion years old, and think that is a wide range for life to evolve, keep in mind that there was basically zero chance of it until the last billion or two years.

The conclusion, as you already stated, is that it is quite possible that we are the first intelligent life form in the universe.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    That is delusional, self centered thinking. I exist, therefore there has to be a purpose to my existence, or god or coincidence wouldn't have bothered!

There's trillions upon trillions of stars, worlds without end, and why would life spring up on only one of them. Even here, life evolved in the most hellish places. We might not even recognize alien life, and the distances are so huge, we might never encounter it.
    There are some good hard reasons for believing that were are possibly the only intelligent life to exist. See previous post.

Personally, I think that means that we need to go out there and figure out which one of us is right. Who ever comes out right, we all win.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    That is delusional, self centered thinking. , or god or coincidence wouldn't have bothered!

Delusional? How so?

Your posting that "I exist, therefore there has to be a purpose to my existence..." is just conjecture.
    For the 3,500 millions of years that life has been evolving on earth the only objective and verifiable purpose of all those species and organisms has been to deliver a tiny packet of genetic information to the next generation. Speculating that humans might be different? I have no quarrel with that. I'll propose that we have no evidence that we are different. In another place we could discuss religion, but not here.

Regarding my other point. Read my words carefully.
    I would never ever say that we know that life exists only on earth.
    What I will say again, to re-state.....we have not a shred of evidence of life other than on our planet.

Opening_crawl.jpg

The opening crawl of the original Star Wars stunned me with its brilliance from the first moment I saw it.

Attachments

• Opening_crawl.jpg
      Opening_crawl.jpg
      12.9 KB · Views: 209
    Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Delusional? How so?

Your posting that "I exist, therefore there has to be a purpose to my existence..." is just conjecture.
    For the 3,500 millions of years that life has been evolving on earth the only objective and verifiable purpose of all those species and organisms has been to deliver a tiny packet of genetic information to the next generation. Speculating that humans might be different? I have no quarrel with that.

Regarding my other point. Read my words carefully.
    I would never ever say that we know that life exists only on earth.
    What I will say again, to re-state.....we have not a shred of evidence of life other than on our planet.

No. We do not.

Top Bottom