Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They had also been pushing long time employees out and hiring them back as independent contractors.
    I'm not sure how many people know that the federal government has been doing this very broadly for a long time. Frankly, I'd rather try to contact a long-term government union employee to try to get something done (the ones who've been around long enough to know which form gets filed to get what result) rather than the know-nothing newly hired replacements who got their jobs just so that politicians could pay off their big campaign contributors.

So that's a general description of one sort of situation where unions still do some good.
    Capitol Armory ad

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Unfortunately, I have. :)
    Same here with teachers/school system tolerating drug/alcohol use/abuse.

Every airline pilot union has a diversion program for drugs/alcohol...gets people out of the cockpit, into appropriate treatment program, and requires 6-12 months documented sobriety (AA attendance, random drug/alcohol screens on a weekly to then monthly basis) just to petition the FAA to let you back into the cockpit, then the same things are required for continued employment. Recurrence is not tolerated

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    So that's a general description of one sort of situation where unions still do some good.

I don't disagree. I'm not current on that.... but 50 years ago, Tel Co's were hiring fresh dumbazzes into the unions and getting rid of the people that actually knew how to do anything, how the machines/tech works, and how to work. But these were college grads you know. Fresh faced know it alls.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I think that's the point I was making as well. Are you saying I disagree with that or just reinforcing my comments ?

gambler,

AGREED 100%.

FYI, A group of our old boarding school alums are SERIOUSLY considering starting an airline, which would be headquartered here in San Antonio at SAT.

"One of our number" is married to THE ex-Senior Stewardess of the old BRANIFF AIRLINES & she will (IF we get the little line going) be the DIRECTOR of HOSPITALITY/CUSTOMER RELATIONS & also the "Mother Superior" of the stewardess group. = LaDonna plans to recruit the stewardesses from TX college coeds.
    (LaDonna has copies of all of the training manuals for Braniff Airline's academy & said that "I see no good reason to change what I know that works.", even though "I'm now a grandmother with silver-gray hair".)

One thing that has been decided upon is that the colors of the line will be "Sunshine gold" & Navy Blue.
    (Pilot/co-Pilot uniforms will be solid NAVY with "narrow gold piping" on the shirts & trousers. Cabin service uniforms will be a Gold shirt & pleated Navy skirt, with a Navy cardigan for cool weather.)

yours, satx

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There's no point in going on record about this event even though I have strong opinions about it. I've written often about witnessing the 1968 riots and Democratic National Convention while living in Chicago. I know exactly what 10,000 rioters in the streets can do. Now, you know, too.

Leftist fools keep stating that the halls of Congress were "desecrated" by the invaders. Considering all of the lies, treachery, Globalist, anti American, unconstitutional actions, unfair, political gamesmanship, thievery, lawlessness and immorality found in those halls of Congress, THAT is hard to accept!

YOU CAN'T "DESECRATE" A SEWER!

Further, when Pelosi, Lewis and a handful of other Leftists "occupied" the House chamber to disrupt business, that was just fine. Give me a friggin' break!

Flash

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Every airline pilot union has a diversion program
    I was once told (and I'd love to get some confirmation on this) that USAF pilots were, for many years, tipped off in advance about when they were going to get a "random" drug test. This was deliberate. The thinking was that if a pilot recreationally snorted a line of coke occasionally that was no big deal. However, if they had two weeks (or whatever) warning time and couldn't abstain long enough to return a clear drug test, then they really had a problem. Thus, tip 'em off early, look the other way for the occasional recreational user, and come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who actually tested positive.

As far as I was told, this system went away at least 30 years ago but when I first heard about it as a young man, it seemed logical to me.

Was somebody shooting me a complete line of bull?

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    He claimed he had been present at the Capitol protests.

Very strange. I ran into this guy at Buc-ee’s Saturday. He seemed to be just waiting to catch people coming out of the restroom to talk with them, but I didn’t have time to let him get into whatever his message was.

He said that he is a civil rights “auditor” and he open-carries a non-lethal sidearm.

It appears his website takes one to various informational videos but I haven’t watched any of them.

I still don’t know what to think of him.

499A53CF-DE95-4E6C-99D9-26FF1C83563B.jpeg

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    He claimed he had been present at the Capitol protests.

Very strange. I ran into this guy at Buc-ee’s Saturday. He seemed to be just waiting to catch people coming out of the restroom to talk with them, but I didn’t have time to let him get into whatever his message was.

He said that he is a civil rights “auditor” and he open-carries a non-lethal sidearm.

It appears his website takes one to various informational videos but I haven’t watched any of them.

I still don’t know what to think of him.

View attachment 240424
    Umm beware strange men who chat you up near truck stop restrooms.

Just sayin.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I was once told (and I'd love to get some confirmation on this) that USAF pilots were, for many years, tipped off in advance about when they were going to get a "random" drug test. This was deliberate. The thinking was that if a pilot recreationally snorted a line of coke occasionally that was no big deal. However, if they had two weeks (or whatever) warning time and couldn't abstain long enough to return a clear drug test, then they really had a problem. Thus, tip 'em off early, look the other way for the occasional recreational user, and come down like a ton of bricks on anyone who actually tested positive.

As far as I was told, this system went away at least 30 years ago but when I first heard about it as a young man, it seemed logical to me.

Was somebody shooting me a complete line of bull?

That was before my time, but the drug demand reduction programs in the military did not really kick off until under Reagan after the Nimitz incident.
    During my time, there was no incentive for illicit performance enhancement since the flight doc could administer go pills and no go pills for operational missions approaching or exceeding the 14-hour duty day limits. While it’s a pretty controlled regimen, there are controls and surveillance in place to identify abusers, which are few and far between.

ETA: IIRC, we ground tested 5 of each go/no-go to ensure nothing weird happened. I had a bad reaction to of the no-gos and was limited to Ambien for the downers.

I will also say that alcohol (except a DUI) didn’t have the same scrutiny, and was pretty much endorsed for usage in the aviation community. Lots of abuse there, that’s a story better off over beers.

A timeline of significant DDRP events in the DoD

Last edited:
    Top Bottom