Propane? - I tell you whut.....

Txhillbilly

Aug 2, 2008
North Texas
For years, I've used a Mr. Heater Buddy heater to heat my 6' x 8' hunting blind that I basically lived in for 3-7 days at a time. I'm not dead yet!

I used my Big Buddy propane heater for a week to heat my 1600 sf house during this last winter storm. Once again, I'm not dead!
And none of my alarms went off either.

Texas45

Well-Known
Dec 10, 2020
Not where you are
Just be sure to have some ventilation/fresh air exchange and its fine.
I use a couple in my 12x24 bldg on my land (no utilities) I just crack open the window and dont run them 24/7 or when sleeping.

My house in town is gas heat and water.
As long as the furnace is functioning properly and the HWH is in a well ventilated location safe as can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coyote9

Jan 13, 2020
Granbury Texas
What is the REAL danger of using propane heaters indoors during an emergency?

Folks have had propane cooking stoves in their homes for years, relied on it for central heat even.

Discuss?
I have a Heat n Glo propane fireplace with a blower that heats a 1870 square foot house. It is a direct vent style that sucks in combustion air thru the outside of a double wall pipe and exhausts thru the inside pipe. Works GREAT. I also have CO detectors in adjacent rooms.

Chaparral

Apr 1, 2021
30N 95W
I heated my attic with a basic camping burner connected to 1 lb propane cans. I’m convinced it saved my pipes from freezing.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
Carbon monoxide!

You cant use radiant heat propane heaters indoors. Only indoor safe catalyst heaters with co detectors and low oxygen shut off sensors.
My grandparents used an unvented Dearborne propane heater for years. I lived in a house with an unvented Dearborne propane heater for a couple of years. How is it different from natural gas? Does it emit more carbon monoxide than NG?

EZ-E

Jo & the Ho gotta go!!!!
TGT Supporter
May 4, 2017
Middle of no where
Clean blue flame good, dirty yellow flame bad. The tighter the house the more of a concern with CO poisoning. Ventless fireplaces need to be serviced... they can spill CO. Most only have a oxygen depletion sensor & if it fails it will spill CO. Some also have catalytic filters that need to be cleaned.

Back when Dearborn heaters were heavily used, houses were built a lot looser so that helped the house breath & release some of the CO. Now a days houses are built a lot tighter so ventless products IMO aren't a great choice. You have to clean them before you burn them, or else you breath in all the crap thats settled on them. They can over heat a room, they smell, they create a pint of moisture per hour into a room & the EPA says anything that burns gas should be vented.

The gas direct fireplaces work great with their sealed glass & radiant heat. Think of it as parking your car in a parking lot in summer & the suns radiant heats up the inside to 200 degrees by shining through the glass & getting trapped. You just have to make sure the rope seal on the glass doesn't deteriorate & it spill CO.

Always have a CO detector.

Last edited:

gasgas

Mar 31, 2014
S Texas
Like E-ZE says
The houses built back in 1920-1950s that Grandfather lived in were fairly drafty , I worked with propane , sense 1976 and lots has changed in building , so using outdoor type heaters is not recommended.
In a emergency then , proper ventilation is required

MikePotts

Well-Known
Lifetime Member
OP.....Thanks Guys turns out I couldn't have had enough propane cylinders or gas for the genny to make it for the 16 days we were out of power anyway.
No danger of my place being 'too tight' for sure :)
Next year's 2022 right gotta be better :(

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads