• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Housing prices may be up but that means the house your selling has went up in price too. If you bought at $190k, then sold at $290k, the house you were looking to buy was in the same scenario. Unless your just trying to move into a house above your pay grade your old house should sell for what the new house cost.

ETA...
    We lived in the 35' camper with 2 teenage daughters & 2 dogs for 9 months.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Housing prices may be up but that means the house your selling has went up in price too. If you bought at $190k, then sold at $290k, the house you were looking to buy was in the same scenario. Unless your just trying to move into a house above your pay grade your old house should sell for what the new house cost.

ETA...

Damn - and the kids survived?!?? LOL

No, I've looked at all of that - and the hassle factor comes into play, as does the relocation of 4 1800 lb safes and their contents. The ammo shelves (about 2k lbs of ammo by guess) are another consideration in having to unload the shelves, then loading the shelf, taking it to the new place and then putting it all back up. The shelves were designed to carry a LOT of weight - 3/4" plywood uprights & shelves, glued & screwed to 2x2's, with 1x4 facing (also w/2x2 glued/screwed to the backside of it AND the shelf. Several of the shelves are holding 6-9k rounds of 230 gr hardball without issue.....

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Damn - and the kids survived?!?? LOL

No, I've looked at all of that - and the hassle factor comes into play, as does the relocation of 4 1800 lb safes and their contents. The ammo shelves (about 2k lbs of ammo by guess) are another consideration in having to unload the shelves, then loading the shelf, taking it to the new place and then putting it all back up. The shelves were designed to carry a LOT of weight - 3/4" plywood uprights & shelves, glued & screwed to 2x2's, with 1x4 facing (also w/2x2 glued/screwed to the backside of it AND the shelf. Several of the shelves are holding 6-9k rounds of 230 gr hardball without issue.....
    Just put all your guns and ammo up for sale here. I'm sure everyone here would gladly support you in your time of need. ;)

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Wouldn't have just been cheaper to sell & get something better in a different Town so you don't have to deal with all the BS.
    We like it here and have a a shitload of equity, and a great interest rate.

But had I known back when we bought…we prolly would have looked elsewhere.

It seems a lot of cities are lame like this…I know for sure that Arlington is worse.

If I had my druthers I’d have a house on county land, not part of a city.

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.

ETA...
    I have checked it with the powers at be, and you currently qualify for sainthood, as long as they all survive, and you don't get hooked on hallucinogenic drugs.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    So we have this baby gate that separates Stetsons play room (AKA our living room) from the mud room and garage. It’s not good for babies to hang out in here, hence the gate.

This happened a few nights ago. MIL just came home from late bible study.
    MIL opens and walks thru the gate, but doesn’t close it behind her. Baby is awake and playing.

Me: can you close the gate behind you?
    MIL: yes, I close it every time
    Me: turn around, you left open, can you close it?
    MIL: who left it open? How can this be, I close it all the time
    Me: you left it open, I just watched you open it and walk thru it. Can you close it?
    MIL: we’ll somebody left it open and it wasn’t me
    Me: facepalm LOL
    >

”Patience is a virtue!”

Please be gentle with us Elders !

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

It seems a lot of cities are lame like this…I know for sure that Arlington is worse.

Yup....I was trying to keep the missus happy....but I'm not going to complain - without her cooperation we'd never have paid this place off as quickly as we did. I'm weighing options at this point - gonna call a contractor buddy of mine next week to swing by and see if he's got any ideas/suggestions of a cost-effective way of doing something that'd give me about 200 sq ft to add a gun room - if so, I'll just buy a vault door and sell the safes. I just priced another Ft Knox - looks like about $9k.....yeah, I think it's worth looking into.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    When we moved from our condo to a house we hired one of those college kids movers. Upstairs condo, I couldn't believe how they picked up the entertainment cabinet and carried it out to the truck. We thought we'd have to leave it. Then the little safe in the back closet, one guy picked it up and carried it. It's good to be young in some cases.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where

The equity we had in the old house was plenty to pay for the property in full on our new place. A couple weeks ago I was checking what the old house was going for .... $295k. I still think we sold at the right time during the start of the Plandemic. We got our 14 acres for $5300 an acre. The prices in the suburbs were going up pretty good. Now in the rural country areas land is up to $15k or more per acre. Which is what country land was going for before the Plandemic in counties surrounding Harris county.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    When we moved from our condo to a house we hired one of those college kids movers. Upstairs condo, I couldn't believe how they picked up the entertainment cabinet and carried it out to the truck. We thought we'd have to leave it. Then the little safe in the back closet, one guy picked it up and carried it. It's good to be young in some cases.

Our last move took a 9-man crew in 5 trucks a bit over 12 hours to move us about 20 miles. We were in a 3-bedroom rental w/a 2-car garage...2 bedrooms stuffed to their 8' ceilings with boxes, living room half-full of boxes, and a 2-car garage filled to the door. About half the garage was tools and such in totes. When one of the young bucks hustled over to grab one of the totes, I helpfully suggested he get some help. He gave me that "I'm superman" look, leaned over, grabbed hold.....and promptly called for some help. (G) I warned him that EVERY tote on the floor of the garage contained tools of one sort of another, and he decided he'd get help to move the rest.
    Bear in mind - we've now been in this house for going on 19 years, and I've added a 16x20 workshop in the back yard, plus (3) 1800 lb safes....and another smaller one in the garage for the "overflow".
    Yeah - gonna have to be a GREAT deal to convince us to move.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Had to go to the city planning commission meeting tonight, for the zone variance to build a carport that the city is making me build, because we’re converting the garage to a unit for the in-laws.

It makes no sense that I need to get approval for something they are making me build, but that’s a battle I wasn’t willing to fight.

Two neighbors showed up in opposition.
    Neighbor #1 was concerned with property values. The commissioner told him that converting the garage to living space is increasing the value of my home, and all the homes around me. He quickly changed his mind and now supports it.

Neighbor #2 showed up, basically to complain about my mini barn/shed that she doesn’t like.
    But since it was permitted, and not even an agenda item, the commissioner let her ramble for 2 minutes, then asked me if I wanted to rebut anything she said?

I basically said I have nothing to add regarding the agenda items. And then the commission voted to approve.

Now I need to go to the next city council meeting, where they will make the final decision. But 99% of the time they side with the planning commission, I’ve been told.

When we got home, I told my MIL that the city will soon remove the sign from our yard, so hopefully now people will stop trying to peek inside our upstairs bathroom LOL

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Let me preface today’s update with this:
    Apparently, I’m the only person in this house who knows how to lock a fucking door.
    I’m a night owl and stay up late, so I make sure everything is locked up before I go to bed.
    This will be relevant in a moment…

Mrs Pronstar & I were playing with The Boy in the living room this morning. MIL comes over to talk with us.

She asks us if we heard “the man” last night.

We literally have no idea what she’s talking about.

“I didn’t lock the back door last night, and I’m sure it wasn’t locked. Around 4am I heard someone walking through the house, going through everything!

“So I got up to see who it was, and I think I scared him away. I’m sure someone was in the house, because he locked the back door when he left. No one else could have locked it, because I was awake.”

Later in the day, MIL and Mrs Pronstar were taking about something, and Mrs Pronstar says “mom, you talk a lot of shit” and they both started laughing so I guess that’s that

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Apparently, I’m the only person in this house who knows how to lock a fucking door.
    I’m a night owl and stay up late, so I make sure everything is locked up before I go to bed.

Mrs Pronstar & I were playing with The Boy in the living room this morning. MIL comes over to talk with us.

“I didn’t lock the back door last night, and I’m sure it wasn’t locked. Around 4am I heard someone walking through the house, going through everything!

“So I got up to see who it was, and I think I scared him away. I’m sure someone was in the house, because he locked the back door when he left. No one else could have locked it, because I was awake.”

Later in the day, MIL and Mrs Pronstar were taking about something, and Mrs Pronstar says “mom, you talk a lot of shit” and they both started laughing so I guess that’s that
    Dont let her watch your kids alone.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’ll be selling my 12 acres that’s turn key and moving north of ennis or any other place I see that’s a nice home.

Main reason is the older the in laws get the closer I’m getting to have to take care of a family member that is handicapped. Once they are worm food I’ll have to handle that responsibility.

Other reasons are Navarro country. I won’t give that country another cent again. Also the next time I buy property it will be large triple digit acreage. When you buy smaller lots things expand so fast it’s still like living in town. So I’ll just flip what I have and get a nice house and select the neighbors as best I can. Sometimes living in a city can be more peaceful than the country. Here’s the thing: so many people are moving to the country that don’t belong or are morons. Old place in Bedford was actually more quiet than any property owned by myself or anyone I know except one. People seem to think once they move in the country they can do stupid shit. I ain’t helping people where I live anymore. You wanna meet god, you do you.

Texas is so crowded. Not to sound like a dork but when I moved to this state I liked all the signs that read keep Texas friendly and don’t drive like an asshole. And I know I’m a transplant but I keep seeing more and more self absorbed cock suckers I just wanna tell to leave.

Actually for property next time, I’ll probably just buy undeveloped land for shooting and hunting and end up posting a thread to have members help keep a watch on things or clean up trash from storms and in return they can use/hunt as they please.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Man, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but...has anyone considered the possibility she may be in the early stages of dementia? The stories you're sharing sound an awful lot like my father's behavior when reality started slipping for him, including the touches of paranoia you've related (the sign outside, and a supposed intruder who locks the door behind him).

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Man, I don't mean this in a disrespectful way but...has anyone considered the possibility she may be in the early stages of dementia? The stories you're sharing sound an awful lot like my father's behavior when reality started slipping for him, including the touches of paranoia you've related (the sign outside, and a supposed intruder who locks the door behind him).
    That's kinda what I was getting at. My wifes grandmother started the same way and we let her watch daughter number 3
    A couple years later we realized we got lucky she didnt hurt or neglect our daughter cause she was really starting to go but still there enough to hide what was going on.

It's not their fault it just is what it is.

Top Bottom